The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Another positive performance and result today have been critical so again praise where it’s due also to the team and Murray. Was quietly confident but you never know what you’ll get from us. However, the first half an hour or so was as good as I’ve seen us play in a long time can only hope that we can string a few results together and can push on. The next 2 league games are again very much winnable in Dumbarton and Peterhead. 

As for David Hutton can only echo my sentiments from a few days ago. A great servant over the past few seasons putting in many quality performances. A player who loved to play for airdrie and will be missed on and off the park. Hope he gets the game time he needs at a decent club and wish him well. 

Edited by Diamond10

We have all seen Airdrie throw away leads in the past so that was positive today. Great that Josh Kerr scored the third- he could have blasted the shot but a clever finish and the boy deserves a goal. Could have  have got nervy when Clyde came back with their goals but we didn't. The next game is the big one - if we need to take ourselves seriously we need to beat Dumbarton. 

Regarding David Hutton - great memories especially against Stenhousemuir and Celtic- and the boy was 100% - can't remember  who we were playing but remember he ran up to the centre circle to remonstrate about a tackle on one of our players.  

Finally, my hat off to Ayr Diamond. I questioned his announcement of Hutton going - but he was spot on.

58 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

We have all seen Airdrie throw away leads in the past so that was positive today. Great that Josh Kerr scored the third- he could have blasted the shot but a clever finish and the boy deserves a goal. Could have  have got nervy when Clyde came back with their goals but we didn't. The next game is the big one - if we need to take ourselves seriously we need to beat Dumbarton. 

Regarding David Hutton - great memories especially against Stenhousemuir and Celtic- and the boy was 100% - can't remember  who we were playing but remember he ran up to the centre circle to remonstrate about a tackle on one of our players.  

Finally, my hat off to Ayr Diamond. I questioned his announcement of Hutton going - but he was spot on.

That's was the 4 - 3  Raith game , Iain Davidson of Raith elbowing Grant Gallagher,   Hutts hunted him down..

good keeper who I think is still our no 1 keeper,   Good luck wherever you end up,  a modern day legend... Or n ot

As I missed out on the actual stream today (Duff memory of password) I finished off the OTL podcast during the Repair Shop . Thoroughly enjoyed the rest. On the discussion about favourite strips I still only value the Diamond Red and Whites. but cant remember the makers. I did like Black shorts for many years and I still have a Gillespie Mining Black strip with Red Diamond-whether it fits me I wont say. Never really liked the black/blue diamond one. On  tricky players I can go back to Tommy Duncan but I loved  Tommy Murray. Those kind of players  are less so now but we are probably more athletic. Henry Templeton, I am sure, was David Templeton's dad. My most recent favourite was Willie McLaren especially when he went up against that Rangers guy a few years ago.  For this season I remain optimistic that we will be in top four but like the guys I am desperate for a real push against the pre season favourites.

Do you mean the red with the white diamond we wore when we beat Dunfermline that epic Scottish Cup game? That was Prostar and was a cracking kit [emoji1303]

Clearly been asleep for a few days and only found out about Hutton leaving in Murray’s post match talk. Is anyone ITK? Did he ask to go because he wasn’t getting a game or was he kicked out for some reason ? I always thought it was a bit strange having two good goalies on the books.

At Hutton age, he's going to want to be playing so can understand him leaving and hopefully frees up a wage that can be used elsewhere. 

I reckon Connell will stay, he's enjoying his football, developing well, but not yet ready to jump into an SPL starting lineup so best with us. 

Good to see Roy back. His sub was a token gesture at best, given how late he came on. A positive sign and can be like a new signing for us. 

Solid win yesterday, much deserved, even if Clyde did give us a couple of Christmas gifts with dodgy defending. 

Next two games very winnable. Would say must wins but if we want to do anything other than just the play offs, we should be winning them. Let's wait and see how we're feeling after them. Hopefully very happy! 

18 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Do you mean the red with the white diamond we wore when we beat Dunfermline that epic Scottish Cup game? That was Prostar and was a cracking kit emoji1303.png

I did like that one but I just meant I favour always having a diamond, apart from the one in my photo! I have now installed Zoom! 

I think that’s a move that would suit everyone. There’s no chance Robert will be here next season so getting a transfer fee while we can would be great business for the club and we’ve seen how good a sell-on clause can be with the money Queen of the South got when Lyndon Dykes signed for QPR. 

Robert has been linked to bigger clubs but I suspect he’s more likely to sign for a club like Livingston due to the prospect of playing regularly. It seemed to be a big reason for him somehow ending up at Airdrie, so it would make sense if his next move is to a team who will have in involved in the first team. I just hope fans are allowed back at some point this season so we can all watch him play properly while we have the chance. 

12 minutes ago, Diamond72 said:

I may have missed the info but where was Callum Gallagher on Saturday? I don't remember him being listed as injured, all I remember is him coming off during the Falkirk game in a rather unhappy fashion.

The match preview on the website said he was having a late fitness check, so presumably he hadn’t fully recovered from whatever injury he picked up at Falkirk.

8 hours ago, Diamond72 said:

I may have missed the info but where was Callum Gallagher on Saturday? I don't remember him being listed as injured, all I remember is him coming off during the Falkirk game in a rather unhappy fashion.

8 hours ago, Mr November said:

The match preview on the website said he was having a late fitness check, so presumably he hadn’t fully recovered from whatever injury he picked up at Falkirk.

Was it the 5-0 Clyde game he initially picked up a knock in? I don't think he's looked fully fit since then and indeed hasn't scored or really contributed since either. 

Edinburgh City at home in the Scottish Cup, to be played a week on Saturday. In the current circumstances, given that we can't go to games, you probably want as dull a game as possible so that's very pleasing in that respect. Probably the epitome of dull. Winnable too albeit we made a proper hash of it when we played them in the League Cup. 

Edited by airdrieman

On 27/12/2020 at 10:21, waysider said:

Clearly been asleep for a few days and only found out about Hutton leaving in Murray’s post match talk. Is anyone ITK? Did he ask to go because he wasn’t getting a game or was he kicked out for some reason ? I always thought it was a bit strange having two good goalies on the books.

Aye Murray said he'd asked to leave to get regular football. It's a shame to see him go, and I'm sure Hutton will be sorry to be leaving also, but you can't really blame him. 

21 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

Hopefully that’s a bit of momentum starting to build now at the right time! Carrick joint top goalscorer I think I seen on Twitter and Kerr took his goal well heard he’s been playing through injuries so fair play to him!

Here's hoping. I said before the Clyde game we need to be getting 9/9 out of our next three fixtures, Clyde, Dumbarton and Peterhead and that's very much achievable. Especially important as our run of games after that is Thistle (H), Cove (A), Falkirk (H) and Montrose (A). Could be a season-defining month or so coming up and need to take as many points as possible from that run also, especially at home IMO. No reason why we can't (though equally we could lose all 4-6). Just need to finally start putting together a consistent run of results. 

20 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Apparently we’re in for Robert in January with the deal including a 6 month loan back and 10% sell on. Same thing we did for Dykes and Forrest 

12 hours ago, Mr November said:

I think that’s a move that would suit everyone. There’s no chance Robert will be here next season so getting a transfer fee while we can would be great business for the club and we’ve seen how good a sell-on clause can be with the money Queen of the South got when Lyndon Dykes signed for QPR. 

Robert has been linked to bigger clubs but I suspect he’s more likely to sign for a club like Livingston due to the prospect of playing regularly. It seemed to be a big reason for him somehow ending up at Airdrie, so it would make sense if his next move is to a team who will have in involved in the first team. I just hope fans are allowed back at some point this season so we can all watch him play properly while we have the chance. 

Aye I completely agree with that. He’s spoken before about how important it is to him that he plays games. I hope he doesn’t go to either of the Old Firm or an academy/reserve side down south where his development will stall. 

Livingston could be a good move for him. They’ve probably been the best club at signing players from the lower leagues and developing them to a standard of playing very well in the top flight so could be a great move for all parties.