The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I'm pretty sure Ayr Diamond called a lot of our business in the summer. So that, combined with the fact Morton tried to sign him and he's not our #1 anymore means I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. It's a shame as he's done us a real turn these last few years, and THAT penalty save will live long in the memory but, as we've found out he's not irreplaceable and he has more games behind him than he does left in front of him. That being said you can't blame him for wanting game time. f**k going to Brechin though. He's much better than that. 

I like Hutton but he’s an easy choice to move on and save a wage when we have cover in that position. Hutton’s been a much better player for us than I think anyone expected when he signed, it’s easy to forget he was originally signed as second choice to Scott Gallacher! He was excellent for us in his first season, while there were a few mistakes he definitely saved us much more than he cost us. That save in our 2-1 win at Stenhousemuir and the penalty save at Celtic were both great moments (we’ll not talk about the goals after that in the Celtic game). I don’t think he was quite as good last season though and seemed to be struggling for form before he was dropped. Max Currie is younger and probably a better keeper so it makes sense to go with him as first choice, especially when he hasn’t really let us down yet.

I’m not sure he’s fully deserving of the hero status he seems to have among some Airdrie fans but he’s been a good player for us and I certainly wish him well if he moves on. 

Always rated Hutton highly he had his moments but has won us countless points over the seasons he’s spent with us. A very vocal keeper and leader on the park so Disappointed to be losing a steady goalkeeper but understandable he wants game time at his age.  His antics winding up opposing fans and his save at Celtic park will live long in the memory. We are losing a big character around the place and a player who loved to play for airdrie sure he’ll get a good reception if ever to return.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Tob8cjo6YHwwLY1Z8

Latest podcast up. Tried to be more light-hearted and look at some bigger picture stuff as we’ve done performances an Murray to death for a while.

Let me know what you think.

Could also do with additional panellists as we’ve lost some so please DM me if you’d be interested.

If you can do zoom calls and you like talking about Airdrie it would be great to have you.

Merry Christmas everyone

[emoji815]️[emoji1303]

19 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Tob8cjo6YHwwLY1Z8

Latest podcast up. Tried to be more light-hearted and look at some bigger picture stuff as we’ve done performances an Murray to death for a while.

Let me know what you think.

Could also do with additional panellists as we’ve lost some so please DM me if you’d be interested.

If you can do zoom calls and you like talking about Airdrie it would be great to have you.

Merry Christmas everyone

emoji815.pngemoji1303.png

Listened to first half hour today. Much to agree with on what it means to support the Diamonds. I have no idea what a Zoom call is but I do like talking about the Diamonds! 

16 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Listened to first half hour today. Much to agree with on what it means to support the Diamonds. I have no idea what a Zoom call is but I do like talking about the Diamonds! 

I genuinely think you'd be good on the podcast bud. 

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Tried to log on at 2.15 and forgetting password has left me going round in circles and ultimately failed to get it. Off to watch Hamilton struggle but keeping in touch via other means. Will try to get money back from Clyde!

Good result again weather as bad as the stream. 

Gawn the diamonds ♦️

Well, that was exciting. We won because Clyde were worse than us. Their defending in the first half was the worst I’ve seen for a while. Clearly the wind and rain spoiled the match. I thought the conditions got worse as the game went on. At the end it was like two teams of schoolboys miskicking and misheading the ball. The Clyde player on the left even made a mess of throw Ins several times! One criticism of our performance was when playing against a strong wind why do our players keep kicking the ball straight up in the air?

Despite all the above moaning I am happy for the win which brings us back into the mix. Great goal from Kerr.

I didn't watch today but pleasing to get what sounds like by all accounts a convincing win. Was relatively nervy when Clyde got their second with plenty of time left and presumably the wind behind them but I'm glad we managed to see the game out and didn't perform a characteristic Airdrie collapse. Looking forward to watching the highlights and Tam Rab's goal in particular. Nice to see Ally Roy make his return. Here's hoping he can step up and play an important role in the remainder of the season. 

29 minutes ago, diamondman said:

Sorry to hear confirmation of Hutton's departure in Murray's interview too. Think he could still have had a few games in him yet.

Onwards and upwards though.

Yes sad to see him go was decent keeper for us.

Don't always agree with the managers interview but today he was pretty spot on should have scored more in first half good 3 points under difficult conditions ♦️

Likewise sorry to see him go. And I'm sure he'll be sorry to be leaving also. He seemed to really relish and enjoy playing for us. You can't blame him for wanting regular game time. Hope he gets a better gig than Brechin - he's more than good enough to still be playing in League 1. 

Anyone know what's happening with Kyle Connell? Would be great to extend his loan but the way Killie are going I wouldn't be surprised at all if they wanted him back. 

Edited by airdrieman

On 25/12/2020 at 18:27, Chapelhall chap said:

As I missed out on the actual stream today (Duff memory of password) I finished off the OTL podcast during the Repair Shop . Thoroughly enjoyed the rest. On the discussion about favourite strips I still only value the Diamond Red and Whites. but cant remember the makers. I did like Black shorts for many years and I still have a Gillespie Mining Black strip with Red Diamond-whether it fits me I wont say. Never really liked the black/blue diamond one. On  tricky players I can go back to Tommy Duncan but I loved  Tommy Murray. Those kind of players  are less so now but we are probably more athletic. Henry Templeton, I am sure, was David Templeton's dad. My most recent favourite was Willie McLaren especially when he went up against that Rangers guy a few years ago.  For this season I remain optimistic that we will be in top four but like the guys I am desperate for a real push against the pre season favourites.