The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

It's a very good result and glad I got prediction wrong. Need to get back on track against all the other sides. As others said Top 3 lose and hardly any points between most and Forfar. Thought our FBs did a really good job today as did all the others. A few times  Tam Rab got caught on  a dribble but I was glad Carrick came on for his ability to annoy Falkirk's back 4. I can listen to Murray interview and highlights with an easier mood this week.

16 minutes ago, G_H said:

3 points, that's what matters. So why aren't players up for getting 3 points from teams down the table?

To be honest, we did to Falkirk today what teams like Dumbarton have done to us this season - it suits us to play games like that, as we have the players and ability to be compact, hard to break down and dangerous on the counter.

We just need to find a way to play against these other sides that works for us.

All of that said, think the manager and players (who have rightfully taken some stick this season) deserve a lot of credit for that today.

Hopefully we can continue that in our next 3 (very winnable) games!

1 minute ago, Jack Reed said:

Up to this weekend not sure who said they were great  . But they looked better than us  .think our problem is against the teams that work hard and solid teams, will tell throughout the season, result today stops Falkirk running away just yet , 

It was during previous discussions when I was trying to make the point I thought our problems stem from being too negative hitting to many high punts was trying to say there isn't much of a gap between teams and our management team cause our  problems with  tactics and team selection as in  Montrose and Dumbarton at home not positive enough exactly as it was last season.

But today just happy with the result and thought we did well in the 2nd half in particular. What pleased me was there seemed to be a bit of fight in the team today.

Wont get carried away but happy today ♦️

Delighted with the result but the game totally hinged on Falkirk having an off day in front of goal. It is evident that we are a team of counter-punchers who will get a result like this now and again. Trouble is the other side scores first and then we lose more goals chasing the game. Can't fault the effort of the boys today, they were excellent and deserve the win bonus. My real gripe is that Murray continues to set the side up against other sides in the league in a similar manner and hope for results from set pieces. Like Gary Bollan, this shows that he does not really trust the team to go out and express themselves in a positive way. The Falkirk commentary team pretty much agreed, saying that Airdrie's game plan worked 'today'...all a bit of a lottery for this side.

35 minutes ago, Diamond72 said:

Delighted with the result but the game totally hinged on Falkirk having an off day in front of goal. It is evident that we are a team of counter-punchers who will get a result like this now and again. Trouble is the other side scores first and then we lose more goals chasing the game. Can't fault the effort of the boys today, they were excellent and deserve the win bonus. My real gripe is that Murray continues to set the side up against other sides in the league in a similar manner and hope for results from set pieces. Like Gary Bollan, this shows that he does not really trust the team to go out and express themselves in a positive way. The Falkirk commentary team pretty much agreed, saying that Airdrie's game plan worked 'today'...all a bit of a lottery for this side.

I agree that's my gripe there are days to play in this manner and days to have a more attacking line up.

Thought the Falkirk commentators were decent today fair-minded mostly ♦️

1 hour ago, Eric the half a b said:

It was during previous discussions when I was trying to make the point I thought our problems stem from being too negative hitting to many high punts was trying to say there isn't much of a gap between teams and our management team cause our  problems with  tactics and team selection as in  Montrose and Dumbarton at home not positive enough exactly as it was last season.

But today just happy with the result and thought we did well in the 2nd half in particular. What pleased me was there seemed to be a bit of fight in the team today.

Wont get carried away but happy today ♦️

Aye, makes for a good Christmas, 

2 hours ago, Diamond72 said:

I suppose the defeats we had at home to Dumbarton and Montrose hinged on us having an off day as well....

Every team in this league playing away from home play the same tactics,  

Fantastic much needed 3 points credit to Murray and the players..

Looking at the games played so far, it's clear our main issue to overcome is lack of goals. 3 of the 4 league games we've lost, we've huffed and puffed and not looked like scoring. Today's win was a solid, compact performance but ultimately a smash and grab job. Which I am totally fine with when away to the unbeaten top of the league team. It's the Dumbarton, East Fife and Montrose games leave us kicking ourselves. Go a goal down and we don't know how to recover. 

Today is a good day, executing a game plan to good effect and getting the win. 

Moving into the next round of games, we need to address the lack of goals and be able to adapt better to games where we should be the attacking team, not the defensive team. 

Anyway, into Christmas on a win so let's hope we can build on it going forward. 

That was a good, solid and professional performance and win today. We've always been at our best under Murray when we've been solid, compact, hard to breakdown, busy in the midfield and quick and potent on the counter-attack. Fair play to Murray and the players as they played the game plan very well today. Echoes of last season's win at Falkirk in that respect. I am concerned that we're still not creating many chances - apart from the goal Robert's shot that hit off the side-netting came from a long throw and Carrick's great chance in the second half largely came from a Falkirk mistake. And we're not going to be able to play like that against the majority of sides in this league. But I am absolutely delighted with the win. It was as much needed as it was unexpected. 

Thought we looked much sharper when Carrick came on and Connell switched to play through the middle. Carrick worked hard as always and was unlucky with his chance/a great save from Mutch (if we'd lost I'd have said he should have done better but hey we won and it's Christmas time and a bit of positivity is needed). Connell showed great instincts and timing for his goal and also worked hard and harried his defenders throughout. He's only on loan until January so hopefully we extend his loan ASAP. Gallagher hasn't looked fully fit all season IMO. 

That was the first time in a while the defence has looked fairly robust and untroubled. Hopefully that will remain the case as we know all the players are more than capable of it. 

A special mention in particular to Paul McKay and Kyle MacDonald. Can't have been easy becoming a makeshift right-back and left-back respectively minutes before kick-off but I thought they both had particularly good games considering. MacDonald in particular had their main danger man Morrison (supposedly better than Thomas Robert ;) ) in his back pocket for the duration of his appearance. They've both been much maligned by our support but they're cracking young players on their day. 

A great result for us today but it will only really mean something if we can actually put a sustained run of wins together. Nothing less than 9/9 from our next three games is acceptable IMO. 

Have a great Christmas one and all ♦️

Have been critical of airdrie in recent weeks so credit where it’s due that is a massive 3 points and a performance out of no where and hopefully is the catalyst to kick start our season . As airdrieman says 9 points from 9 is very manageable and having beat the “best” team in the league that should  give us confidence to take on anyone else . 

Absolutely loved that, yesterday. Defensive solidity for the first time since, what, the opening game of the season? 

The hard work off the ball was back, the players took care of the ball a lot better than in the last couple games and we continue to hold an indian sign over Falkirk, who are absolutely sick, which makes it all the sweeter. 

It really does look like we are going to more or less repeat last season which, whilst not exactly progress, ought to have us in the playoffs. 

11 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Looking at the games played so far, it's clear our main issue to overcome is lack of goals. 3 of the 4 league games we've lost, we've huffed and puffed and not looked like scoring. Today's win was a solid, compact performance but ultimately a smash and grab job. Which I am totally fine with when away to the unbeaten top of the league team. It's the Dumbarton, East Fife and Montrose games leave us kicking ourselves. Go a goal down and we don't know how to recover. 

Today is a good day, executing a game plan to good effect and getting the win. 

Moving into the next round of games, we need to address the lack of goals and be able to adapt better to games where we should be the attacking team, not the defensive team. 

Anyway, into Christmas on a win so let's hope we can build on it going forward. 

For me I think a lot of our problems come from a lack of composure, especially at the back. We struggle with teams who play a high press on our defence or when we have to chase a game.

We've seen when we get the ball down we can play. However when a team preses our defence, they're not comfortable on the ball at their feet, so start going long. It's especially frustrating when you have a guy like Sabatini who likes to come short for the ball and they miss him out. He is quite happy to play one twos with the defence keep the ball until there is a opening. Unfortunately our defance play the ball into the middle and it comes back instead of looking for another pass they just launch it.

Similar happens when we're trailing. They start to panic. Instead of keeping the ball, be patient and build things. We resort to going long. 

We've finally got players in midfield who can play. Who are comfortable on the ball but if we bypass the midfield with long balls it's a waste.

22 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

For me I think a lot of our problems come from a lack of composure, especially at the back. We struggle with teams who play a high press on our defence or when we have to chase a game.

We've seen when we get the ball down we can play. However when a team preses our defence, they're not comfortable on the ball at their feet, so start going long. It's especially frustrating when you have a guy like Sabatini who likes to come short for the ball and they miss him out. He is quite happy to play one twos with the defence keep the ball until there is a opening. Unfortunately our defance play the ball into the middle and it comes back instead of looking for another pass they just launch it.

Similar happens when we're trailing. They start to panic. Instead of keeping the ball, be patient and build things. We resort to going long. 

We've finally got players in midfield who can play. Who are comfortable on the ball but if we bypass the midfield with long balls it's a waste.

For clarification, I don't expect us to play tippy tappy football and try and play out from the back like Barcelona everytime. I realise at this level you do need to go long sometimes. However I feel when we panic we resort to the long ball game too quickly and too often, when there has been the opportunity to play out from the back.

28 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

I think this in particular is a good observation. The defenders haven't been comfortable when being pressed and they have not had the confidence or faith, either in themselves or the midfielders, to give them the short ball and try to break it that way. As you say, Sabatini is there constantly. Hopefully they can get that confidence and try it, because we play into the opposition hands with a lot of our clearances out of the back under pressure. We're not a long ball team, they want to play through the pitch,  but we tend to fall back on the long ball when being subjected to an effective high press. 

1 hour ago, Tory Boy said:

Agreed, and this impacts why we struggle to score goals. Long balls done suit us. It just comes straight back to us in the form of an attack. 

Sabatini is often missed out, then subbed a lot when he's actually a good link between defence and midfield, then midfield to attack. Robert too is not the sort of player who benefits from long, high balls fired towards him. Give him the ball at his feet and he can make things happen, win us free kicks, set up and score goals etc. 

Even when out front man does win the ball, there's nobody near him so we lose possession. 

Again, if we can learn from this and, as you said, have patience in building play through the midfield and on the deck, we will become a more potent team. Some very winnable games coming up and we really do need to be looking to take at least 7 out of the next 9 points as a minimum.