The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I don’t think it’s leaders that we lack I think it’s quality. I don’t fault the guys efforts the majority of the time I just can’t see who has that extra bit of quality to win us a game or score out of nothing. Overall we have an average squad with a raw Robert being the stand out. Going back to the last season that we made a go of it with Chucky and beany we had a pretty poor squad overall imo we just had those two who could get us there with an extra bit of quality.

Saw the Falkirk game has been moved to Sunday now and I’ll now miss it fearing the worst about it. Falkirk look a different animal to last year and we are going through a tough time would hope Murray would ring the changes but can’t see that though. Would’ve fancied our chances last year as well. 

If the Falkirk game doesn’t go our way we have Clyde Dumbarton and Peterhead all away I’m sure after that. We need a clean slate and 9 points. 

Edited by Diamond10

21 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

I don’t think it’s leaders that we lack I think it’s quality. I don’t fault the guys efforts the majority of the time I just can’t see who has that extra bit of quality to win us a game or score out of nothing. Overall we have an average squad with a raw Robert being the stand out. Going back to the last season that we made a go of it with Chucky and beany we had a pretty poor squad overall imo we just had those two who could get us there with an extra bit of quality.

Saw the Falkirk game has been moved to Sunday now and I’ll now miss it fearing the worst about it. Falkirk look a different animal to last year and we are going through a tough time would hope Murray would ring the changes but can’t see that though. Would’ve fancied our chances last year as well. 

If the Falkirk game doesn’t go our way we have Clyde Dumbarton and Peterhead all away I’m sure after that. We need a clean slate and 9 points. 

I think we lack quality, but definitely think we lack experience/leadership too. Not in some hardman type or someone who goes round shouting at people, but I think just an experience of how to play at this level and how to react in games and manage games. Whenever we go behind we seem to panic and completely fall apart. I don't believe a team of experienced players would do the same. This isn't an argument to fill the team with League 1 journeymen by any means, we did that under Findlay and were still hopeless because we went too far in that direction. I think it is more an argument for that old cliche about 'blending youth and experience'.

The average age of our team last Saturday was 23, and that's as old as it can get really, apart from Hutton our oldest sub is 24. The average of the starting 11 that beat Falkirk a year ago was 25, so even though we have largely the same squad as last year we have lost a bit in that department. Crighton and Fordyce are the experienced heads in the team at 30 and 28. Sabatini and Robert knew nothing about this level until 3 months ago, McCann, Kerr and McDonald haven't completed a full season at senior level. So half our outfield haven't played a full season at this level. That's not an argument against any of the players, I think the issue is the mix, that's why we see the odd really good performance like Clyde or Forfar followed by complete rubbish. If Murray has no/limited say over the signings then this is the one area I do have sympathy for him.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

51 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think we lack quality, but definitely think we lack experience/leadership too. Not in some hardman type or someone who goes round shouting at people, but I think just an experience of how to play at this level and how to react in games and manage games. Whenever we go behind we seem to panic and completely fall apart. I don't believe a team of experienced players would do the same. This isn't an argument to fill the team with League 1 journeymen by any means, we did that under Findlay and were still hopeless because we went too far in that direction. I think it is more an argument for that old cliche about 'blending youth and experience'.

The average age of our team last Saturday was 23, and that's as old as it can get really, apart from Hutton our oldest sub is 24. The average of the starting 11 that beat Falkirk a year ago was 25, so even though we have largely the same squad as last year we have lost a bit in that department. Crighton and Fordyce are the experienced heads in the team at 30 and 28. Sabatini and Robert knew nothing about this level until 3 months ago, McCann, Kerr and McDonald haven't completed a full season at senior level. So half our outfield haven't played a full season at this level. That's not an argument against any of the players, I think the issue is the mix, that's why we see the odd really good performance like Clyde or Forfar followed by complete rubbish. If Murray has no/limited say over the signings then this is the one area I do have sympathy for him.

Agree , I think the outcome with the squad that has been recruited is they  will be consistently inconsistent at best.....

Odd flashes of brilliance ,  but general mediocrity and shiteness or should I say the Airdrie way..

3 hours ago, Passionate said:

Agree , I think the outcome with the squad that has been recruited is they  will be consistently inconsistent at best.....

Odd flashes of brilliance ,  but general mediocrity and shiteness or should I say the Airdrie way..

See a couple of the great teams in the league got gubbed today. ♦️

10 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I said before the season started that I was worried we were lacking that bit of experience that gets you over the line. We've seen it before ourselves - guys like Paul Lovering, Owen Coyle, Marvyn Wilson, Ross Docherty, Craig Barr etc who are streetwise and know exactly how to see out games or eek that bit extra out of the squad to either come from behind or get you over the line. Raith probably had as a good a mix of youth with experience that you can get at this level with the likes of Hendry, Tait and Bowie supplemented by John Baird, Grant and Steven Anderson, Steven McLean and Iain Davidson (even if he is a dirty get) and that worked out perfectly for them. 

It was interesting in Murray's post-match interview last week where he seemed to suggest going with a younger less experienced squad was the strategy regardless of the pandemic and current situation. That's fine if your squad is talented enough to get away with that lack of experience. But I think it was clear, even last season, that we could have done with that extra knowhow and 'streetwiseness', especially in the games where we struggled to break teams down. 

9 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I said before the season started that I was worried we were lacking that bit of experience that gets you over the line. We've seen it before ourselves - guys like Paul Lovering, Owen Coyle, Marvyn Wilson, Ross Docherty, Craig Barr etc who are streetwise and know exactly how to see out games or eek that bit extra out of the squad to either come from behind or get you over the line. Raith probably had as a good a mix of youth with experience that you can get at this level with the likes of Hendry, Tait and Bowie supplemented by John Baird, Grant and Steven Anderson, Steven McLean and Iain Davidson (even if he is a dirty get) and that worked out perfectly for them. 

It was interesting in Murray's post-match interview last week where he seemed to suggest going with a younger less experienced squad was the strategy regardless of the pandemic and current situation. That's fine if your squad is talented enough to get away with that lack of experience. But I think it was clear, even last season, that we could have done with that extra knowhow and 'streetwiseness', especially in the games where we struggled to break teams down. 

One Evan Balfour one different team, 

55 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Has he dropped Carrick to play three holding midfielders, one of whom is a centre-half? Assuming he hasn't got a knock that's laughable. 

Interesting first half got away with couple just wish we would be a bit more positive at time we can be decent when get some passes together.

Concern is been a couple of misunderstanding between back 9 ♦️

55 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

Interesting first half got away with couple just wish we would be a bit more positive at time we can be decent when get some passes together.

Concern is been a couple of misunderstanding between back 9 ♦️

Get in there and a wee correct score coupon into the bargain ♦️

Another one of the great teams in the league beaten this weekend ♦️

38 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

Get in there and a wee correct score coupon into the bargain ♦️

Another one of the great teams in the league beaten this weekend ♦️

Up to this weekend not sure who said they were great  . But they looked better than us  .think our problem is against the teams that work hard and solid teams, will tell throughout the season, result today stops Falkirk running away just yet ,