The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

14 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

I know we have to try something, don't think we have the players to beat many teams in this league, I keep reading how good we were against  Clyde and forfar , its a team above us we need  to beat, good game to start winning would be on Sat, wonder when the 3 subs will come on, 

The thing is I don't think any of the sides we've played have been particularly impressive either. Cove were probably the best we've played IMO and Thistle were also good before and in the spell between their two goals but even then you could argue we were unlucky not to take more points from both of those games. Peterhead, Clyde and Forfar were all pish and Dumbarton, East Fife and Montrose were solid and professional in beating us. There's nothing wrong with that - you have to be in order to win games. But I really don't think it would have taken a lot to beat any of those three teams. Is Murray the man to find the right system to do that? I don't think so anymore so until he goes we'll probably plod along anywhere between 4th-6th. Falkirk will likely be a step above us though right enough. 

Edited by airdrieman

15 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

The thing is I don't think any of the sides we've played have been particularly impressive either. Cove were probably the best we've played IMO and Thistle were also good before and in the spell between their two goals but even then you could argue we were unlucky not to take more points from both of those games. Peterhead, Clyde and Forfar were all pish and Dumbarton, East Fife and Montrose were solid and professional in beating us. There's nothing wrong with that - you have to be in order to win games. But I really don't think it would have taken a lot to beat any of those three teams. Is Murray the man to find the right system to do that? I don't think so anymore so until he goes we'll probably plod along anywhere between 4th-6th. Falkirk will likely be a step above us though right enough. 

I agree that we are not very far behind many of the sides that have beaten us this season. I have however been consistently saying that we lack potency in finding the net in tight games. Look at the Partick, Edinburgh and East Fife games for example where we were undone by a dynamic and dangerous center forward. We do not have enough players in the side who can hurt teams and this includes set pieces like free kicks and corners. Also, for a team that likes to play the long and high ball, where is the height in the forward line? Funny thing is, we probably have a better chance against Falkirk the way this side is set up.

14 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I don't agree with the head hunting obsession,  we are strugg!ing as a club what other option is there apart from the 'doomsday scenario' with a Stuart Millar , Sean crighton clusterfuck taking charge.....

We have a squad which is highly rated for some reason by our support,   but There are massive issues throughout,   2 young fullbacks who to be honest have still to complete a full season at this level, both of whom have struggled badly with no apparent cover for these areas especially  left back.. 2 Experienced siege type centre halfs who like to sit deep which isn't a problem if you have a midfield who can link up play and have the ability to pass the ball, we don't . Therefore long balls to fans sweetheart Carrick and Robert come straight back to us.....  Murray who is far from perfect has to find a new gameplan, but he has very limited options thanks to our DOF....      

If we get a 'sair yin' at Falkirk ,  the knives will be getting sharpened on Murray, but on my reckoning the club amongst others must be in a perilous financial state...I

Survival in this league and as a club might be the best outcome come the end of the season..

I don't agree with the head hunting obsession,  we are strugg!ing as a club what other option is there apart from the 'doomsday scenario' with a Stuart Millar , Sean crighton clusterfuck taking charge.....

We have a squad which is highly rated for some reason by our support,   but There are massive issues throughout,   2 young fullbacks who to be honest have still to complete a full season at this level, both of whom have struggled badly with no apparent cover for these areas especially  left back.. 2 Experienced siege type centre halfs who like to sit deep which isn't a problem if you have a midfield who can link up play and have the ability to pass the ball, we don't . Therefore long balls to fans sweetheart Carrick and Robert come straight back to us.....  Murray who is far from perfect has to find a new gameplan, but he has very limited options thanks to our DOF....      

If we get a 'sair yin' at Falkirk ,  the knives will be getting sharpened on Murray, but on my reckoning the club amongst others must be in a perilous financial state...I

Survival in this league and as a club might be the best outcome come the end of the season..

I agree, really frustrated that we’re in exactly the same position as we were after 8 games in charge with Findlay; I fear we’ll never get into the Championship. We don’t seem to be able to find a way to outperform the other big clubs in this league and there must be a good chance we’ll have 2 of Falkirk, Thistle and Cove again next season.

However, getting through this year and going again next season perhaps needs to be the over-arching aim. It would be good to hear from the club just how much a strain this season is putting on us financially and if it is as bad what the plan would be to get through it.

7 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

I agree, really frustrated that we’re in exactly the same position as we were after 8 games in charge with Findlay; I fear we’ll never get into the Championship. We don’t seem to be able to find a way to outperform the other big clubs in this league and there must be a good chance we’ll have 2 of Falkirk, Thistle and Cove again next season.

However, getting through this year and going again next season perhaps needs to be the over-arching aim. It would be good to hear from the club just how much a strain this season is putting on us financially and if it is as bad what the plan would be to get through it.

As well as a full time Queens Park coming up also.

9 hours ago, Diamond72 said:

I agree that we are not very far behind many of the sides that have beaten us this season. I have however been consistently saying that we lack potency in finding the net in tight games. Look at the Partick, Edinburgh and East Fife games for example where we were undone by a dynamic and dangerous center forward. We do not have enough players in the side who can hurt teams and this includes set pieces like free kicks and corners. Also, for a team that likes to play the long and high ball, where is the height in the forward line? Funny thing is, we probably have a better chance against Falkirk the way this side is set up.

Do you think that if we changed managers in the dugout you would Change result, 

16 hours ago, Passionate said:

I take it Murray is not his own man and Millar calls the shots, well on both there heads  be it, 

2 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

I take it Murray is not his own man and Millar calls the shots, well on both there heads  be it, 

Murray is the coach.  Millar is in charge of player recruitment in his DOFrole, I thought this was common knowledge.....    Where does the problem lie....

39 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Murray is the coach.  Millar is in charge of player recruitment in his DOFrole, I thought this was common knowledge.....    Where does the problem lie....

Maybe with the results they are achieving, that's my problem, you maybe have not noticed yet but we are pretty bad shape at the moment, 

44 minutes ago, Passionate said:

We are too negative this hard to beat pish doesn't work opposition have us sussed.

God knows Falkirk may gubb us but the other teams we have played thus far are nothing special. 

We have some decent players for this league however we need a system that suits them and at least create some positivity around the place. EF away was not good but the rest ... really nothing special.

Murray needs a strong coach along side him regardless of who buys the players to be more positive... imo that is ♦️

21 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

We are too negative this hard to beat pish doesn't work opposition have us sussed.

God knows Falkirk may gubb us but the other teams we have played thus far are nothing special. 

We have some decent players for this league however we need a system that suits them and at least create some positivity around the place. EF away was not good but the rest ... really nothing special.

Murray needs a strong coach along side him regardless of who buys the players to be more positive... imo that is ♦️

Just posted on other thread 1 0 Airdrie can't really see it but we can live in hope 🤔♦️

On 15/12/2020 at 23:12, Diamond72 said:

I completely agree. I wasn't too upset about missing out on Andy Ryan at the time as I thought/hoped/assumed we would bring in another striker instead but that's looking like possibly our biggest mistake of the transfer window. Players like Ryan, Brian Graham and Wallace win you games and points practically by themselves. Apart from Robert (who's still very young and raw) we have nobody capable of that. 

On 15/12/2020 at 23:21, Passionate said:

On 15/12/2020 at 23:34, CapitalDiamond said:

I wasn't fully on board the Murray out train until last week but I think it's clear that we're not going to progress on the park until we have someone else in charge. The club and Millar made it clear that promotion and being in the Championship is very much the short and long-term aim of the club. As far as I know that hasn't changed even with the exceptional circumstances we find ourselves in this season. While we obviously won't be making money, I haven't seen anything to necessarily suggest we're in a perilous financial state or that survival should be our aim on and off the park. If it was why wouldn't the club tell us? Millar is pretty savy and is present on fans' social media so will have seen all the recent criticisms. If he could put a statement talking about how the clubs' aims have changed to take the pressure off him and Murray somewhat I'm sure he would. It would be good to hear from the club though. Not only that but the board have backed Murray and Millar pretty heavily to put a decent(ish) squad together this season and last and Findlay before him. While of course the board don't have endless pockets, they have obviously invested in the hope of success so the question is how bad does it get before they cut their losses with Murray or will we be okay enough that he'll be able to ride out the rest of his contract? He looked a man under pressure in his post-match interview last week. Perhaps it would only be Millar and Crighton who'd replace him but Millar has never been a manager apart from in the juniors and a disastrous spell at Clyde (where I'm sure the Clyde fans would still say he wasn't a manager) and from interviews I've never got the impression at all that he fancies it. Of course, he might have to out of necessity but whenever a job comes up there's always a plethora of applications so I don't think we'd have to worry about finding a replacement, at least in terms of quantity of applicants. 

As for the squad I don't think anybody thinks they are world-beaters but it's almost exactly the same squad who reached the play-offs/ended up 3rd last season so they are under-performing. And I don't think there has been a tangible increase in quality in the rest of the league to justify/excuse that under-performance. 

55 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I completely agree. I wasn't too upset about missing out on Andy Ryan at the time as I thought/hoped/assumed we would bring in another striker instead but that's looking like possibly our biggest mistake of the transfer window. Players like Ryan, Brian Graham and Wallace win you games and points practically by themselves. Apart from Robert (who's still very young and raw) we have nobody capable of that. 

I wasn't fully on board the Murray out train until last week but I think it's clear that we're not going to progress on the park until we have someone else in charge. The club and Millar made it clear that promotion and being in the Championship is very much the short and long-term aim of the club. As far as I know that hasn't changed even with the exceptional circumstances we find ourselves in this season. While we obviously won't be making money, I haven't seen anything to necessarily suggest we're in a perilous financial state or that survival should be our aim on and off the park. If it was why wouldn't the club tell us? Millar is pretty savy and is present on fans' social media so will have seen all the recent criticisms. If he could put a statement talking about how the clubs' aims have changed to take the pressure off him and Murray somewhat I'm sure he would. It would be good to hear from the club though. Not only that but the board have backed Murray and Millar pretty heavily to put a decent(ish) squad together this season and last and Findlay before him. While of course the board don't have endless pockets, they have obviously invested in the hope of success so the question is how bad does it get before they cut their losses with Murray or will we be okay enough that he'll be able to ride out the rest of his contract? He looked a man under pressure in his post-match interview last week. Perhaps it would only be Millar and Crighton who'd replace him but Millar has never been a manager apart from in the juniors and a disastrous spell at Clyde (where I'm sure the Clyde fans would still say he wasn't a manager) and from interviews I've never got the impression at all that he fancies it. Of course, he might have to out of necessity but whenever a job comes up there's always a plethora of applications so I don't think we'd have to worry about finding a replacement, at least in terms of quantity of applicants. 

As for the squad I don't think anybody thinks they are world-beaters but it's almost exactly the same squad who reached the play-offs/ended up 3rd last season so they are under-performing. And I don't think there has been a tangible increase in quality in the rest of the league to justify/excuse that under-performance. 

Plain and simple, a decent centre back, a decent striker will go a long way to getting points on the board, oh and Cameron back, 

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Plain and simple, a decent centre back, a decent striker will go a long way to getting points on the board, oh and Cameron back, 

Think we’ve got the decent centre back in Kerr it’s just the midfielder we need to replace him in there plus the experienced striker. Still find it bizarre we let Cameron go so soon and easily when things seemed to turn around when he came in...

32 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Last 9 matches  2 wins 1 draw  6 defeats  hardly good manager readings, top 4 quite an achievement I would think, 

All clubs in the league have money issues and while not in the going bust bracket we are no different. 

Club tried to keep AR and CS thats the main difference from last year Gal and Carrick were more likely to score. Imo its the same old problem if u set out with so many defensive players we don't put enough pressure on the opposition or create enough chances against the better teams in this league.

Perhaps I over estimate our capability but I haven't seen any outstanding teams we have played. I think we over estimate most teams in this league which while we are not good enough to win we do have a squad that should reach the play-offs.

That then leaves the management team someone asked the other week how many EF players would get in out team and I asked the question if the managers were swapped would we have won? Perhaps. Cameron has a more positive style of play and no coincidence we improved massively on his arrival.

For Saturday can't see any dramatic change in personnel or tactics so hope we can grind out a result. We need to be more aggressive in our play and attitude bit like Sean with the Clyde forward.

Just my humble opinions ♦️

2 hours ago, Eric the half a b said:

All clubs in the league have money issues and while not in the going bust bracket we are no different. 

Club tried to keep AR and CS thats the main difference from last year Gal and Carrick were more likely to score. Imo its the same old problem if u set out with so many defensive players we don't put enough pressure on the opposition or create enough chances against the better teams in this league.

Perhaps I over estimate our capability but I haven't seen any outstanding teams we have played. I think we over estimate most teams in this league which while we are not good enough to win we do have a squad that should reach the play-offs.

That then leaves the management team someone asked the other week how many EF players would get in out team and I asked the question if the managers were swapped would we have won? Perhaps. Cameron has a more positive style of play and no coincidence we improved massively on his arrival.

For Saturday can't see any dramatic change in personnel or tactics so hope we can grind out a result. We need to be more aggressive in our play and attitude bit like Sean with the Clyde forward.

Just my humble opinions ♦️

The kind of player I feel we need is Craig Barr  he was a good leader and would get you a few goals, pity he was pals with Bollan