The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

If his dad wasn't Laurent Robert naecunt would be talking about him. 

Is that why you’re talking about him [emoji23]

He had 4 excellent performances with 3 excellent goals in November. For someone in his first season in senior football, that will have put him on some radars.

I agree the press attention is driven by who he is, but that won’t get him a move.

9 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

He had 4 excellent performances with 3 excellent goals in November. For someone in his first season in senior football, that will have put him on some radars.

I repeat, if he wasn't Laurent Robert's son, Celtic wouldn't looking at him right now, nor are any other "top European clubs" as we seem to read almost every week about Tam. He clearly has a very savvy agent, every step over he does seems to build his hype even more and he knows he needs to keep his name in the papers. All evidence pointing towards him being a fairly typical League 1 winger at the moment though - flashes of brilliance but can be easily shut out of games and goes missing. 

Callum Morrison is a far better and more effective player, is the driving force for the team top of the league, is still only 21 and has about 100 games of senior experience under his belt (he also scored 4 goals though November albeit 2 of those came in the cup). I don't see any paper talk or hype about him on an almost weekly basis.

33 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I repeat, if he wasn't Laurent Robert's son, Celtic wouldn't looking at him right now, nor are any other "top European clubs" as we seem to read almost every week about Tam. He clearly has a very savvy agent, every step over he does seems to build his hype even more and he knows he needs to keep his name in the papers. All evidence pointing towards him being a fairly typical League 1 winger at the moment though - flashes of brilliance but can be easily shut out of games and goes missing. 

Callum Morrison is a far better and more effective player, is the driving force for the team top of the league, is still only 21 and has about 100 games of senior experience under his belt (he also scored 4 goals though November albeit 2 of those came in the cup). I don't see any paper talk or hype about him on an almost weekly basis.

I don't know what the problem is though?  As you say, he's got a savvy agent/management company who clearly are making an effort to get their client the best possible move (even if it may be above his station) which in turn would make them (and Thomas AND the club) the most amount of money available to them.  Falkirk will be delighted to keep a hold of Morrison past January to keep them on track to steamroll the league, me personally, I'd be happy make any kind of money on Robert and hopefully every step over and printed media line adds another few quid.  Even if it does end up being £50k from Dundee Utd in January.

1 minute ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I don't know what the problem is though?  As you say, he's got a savvy agent/management company who clearly are making an effort to get their client the best possible move (even if it may be above his station) which in turn would make them (and Thomas AND the club) the most amount of money available to them.  Falkirk will be delighted to keep a hold of Morrison past January to keep them on track to steamroll the league, me personally, I'd be happy make any kind of money on Robert and hopefully every step over and printed media line adds another few quid.  Even if it does end up being £50k from Dundee Utd in January.

No problem, just that much of Robert's hype isn't really merited. He's done absolutely nothing to deserve the coverage he's had. If Airdrie get anything close to £50K in January they'll have robbed someone.

Nobody will try and buy Morrison in January, which I think proves that if Robert's name was Davie McGlumpher none of this chat would be happening right now.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

No problem, just that much of Robert's hype isn't really merited. He's done absolutely nothing to deserve the coverage he's had. If Airdrie get anything close to £50K in January they'll have robbed someone.

Nobody will try and buy Morrison in January, which I think proves that if Robert's name was Davie McGlumpher none of this chat would be happening right now.

I absolutely get that.  from the day he arrived it was with fanfare, knocking back a 4 year Montpellier deal and allegedly under the watchful eye of "europes elite" which for the record I believe to be a load of garbage, and as I mentioned somewhere previous, he was coming to Airdrie for 1 year only.  His agent/management company are obviously using every second of his time here to engineer some kind of move, which again is fine.  I dare say, if Morrison had an agent with the same idea he could certainly make some noise about a move also, some are content to plod away quietly, others make as much noise as possible.

6 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

What is our best starting 11 going forward then? We’ve all had our bits to say for certain players in, certain out but what do you think our best 11 is...

Not much difference in keepers but I would go with Hutton 

I would give Sean a rest put Kerr back to CH

Sabatini McKay Carrick Robert

Gal and ether Connell or Roy 

That team could set records for years to come...... could be criminal 

♦️

7 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

What is our best starting 11 going forward then? We’ve all had our bits to say for certain players in, certain out but what do you think our best 11 is...

I'd be taking Kerr out the midfield and putting him to centre-half in replace of Crighton. I like MacDonald though if he's struggling for form/fitness I wouldn't be averse to seeing McKay or Ritchie get a shot there either though, while it's probably an unpopular opinion I do like McKay at centre-mid. I do think though the club need to find his best position (whether that's centre-half, right-back or centre-mid) and stick with him there. 

Currie 

Ritchie/MacDonald Fordyce Kerr McCann 

Sabatini McKay 

Robert Carrick Connell 

Gallagher 

Something like that seems like our best team at the moment and is the formation/shape we tend to pick up the most results with. I'd even be tempted to get rid of one of the other holding midfielders and play another attacking player but Stokes is probably your only option there and he hasn't really shown enough for me in his admittedly fleeting appearances. 

I'd be taking Kerr out the midfield and putting him to centre-half in replace of Crighton. I like MacDonald though if he's struggling for form/fitness I wouldn't be averse to seeing McKay or Ritchie get a shot there either though, while it's probably an unpopular opinion I do like McKay at centre-mid. I do think though the club need to find his best position (whether that's centre-half, right-back or centre-mid) and stick with him there. 
Currie 
Ritchie/MacDonald Fordyce Kerr McCann 
Sabatini McKay 
Robert Carrick Connell 
Gallagher 
Something like that seems like our best team at the moment and is the formation/shape we tend to pick up the most results with. I'd even be tempted to get rid of one of the other holding midfielders and play another attacking player but Stokes is probably your only option there and he hasn't really shown enough for me in his admittedly fleeting appearances. 

I'd be doing pretty much the exact same thing at the moment since the defence clearly needs shaking up. I'd maybe go with McKay at right back and Ritchie in midfield though since McKay has more experience at right back (even though I prefer him in midfield) and that would allow Ritchie to get a decent go in his favoured position. That front 4 is a must as it's already proven to work.

9 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I'd be doing pretty much the exact same thing at the moment since the defence clearly needs shaking up. I'd maybe go with McKay at right back and Ritchie in midfield though since McKay has more experience at right back (even though I prefer him in midfield) and that would allow Ritchie to get a decent go in his favoured position. That front 4 is a must as it's already proven to work.

I know we have to try something, don't think we have the players to beat many teams in this league, I keep reading how good we were against  Clyde and forfar , its a team above us we need  to beat, good game to start winning would be on Sat, wonder when the 3 subs will come on, 

Andrew “of the excellent match reports” Duffy and I were invited onto a Podcast hosted by a guy in the Ukraine who wanted to hear about all things Airdrie.... and we managed to avoid recent form.

Form is Temporary - Class is Permanent [emoji815]️

https://audioboom.com/posts/7751112-ukrfut24-podcast-interview-with-colin-telford

6 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Andrew “of the excellent match reports” Duffy and I were invited onto a Podcast hosted by a guy in the Ukraine who wanted to hear about all things Airdrie.... and we managed to avoid recent form.

Form is Temporary - Class is Permanent emoji815.png

https://audioboom.com/posts/7751112-ukrfut24-podcast-interview-with-colin-telford

^Tis I. A good listen, If I may say so.

Regards the last two games; pretty shite, eh? We're 1 point worse off than we were 8 games into last season, so the hoped for 'fast start' hasn't materialised. We've a job on to match last season now but still, the reality is we're more or less where we were in a season that only lasted 1 game more than this one will. 

Could be well off the mark, but Crighton has seen a form dip compared to a pretty stellar season last year, coinciding pretty much with his role as a coach as well as Captain. One responsibility too many? Form can fluctuate regardless of this so just because we have correlation doesn't necessarily mean there is causation, but I'd agree with a lot of folk who have suggested giving him a break and dropping Kerr back in at centre half at some point soon. 

We managed to counter attack well last season on Falkirk so, I mean, maybe? But our form is honkin' and we'll need a drastic improvement to get anything from this one. 

2 hours ago, AndyDD said:

^Tis I. A good listen, If I may say so.

Regards the last two games; pretty shite, eh? We're 1 point worse off than we were 8 games into last season, so the hoped for 'fast start' hasn't materialised. We've a job on to match last season now but still, the reality is we're more or less where we were in a season that only lasted 1 game more than this one will. 

Could be well off the mark, but Crighton has seen a form dip compared to a pretty stellar season last year, coinciding pretty much with his role as a coach as well as Captain. One responsibility too many? Form can fluctuate regardless of this so just because we have correlation doesn't necessarily mean there is causation, but I'd agree with a lot of folk who have suggested giving him a break and dropping Kerr back in at centre half at some point soon. 

We managed to counter attack well last season on Falkirk so, I mean, maybe? But our form is honkin' and we'll need a drastic improvement to get anything from this one. 

Listened to the Kiev podcast ( or is it Kviv?)  and it had loads to comment on from the mad Broomfield centre standites- the press box was behind at the back and it's a wonder any reports got sent. Colin mentioned the wonderful urinal but you could nip out the gate to the slightly better one at the main entrance. I was interested to hear of your uncle refusing to go into Safeway- I used to annoy my good lady by saying that's where the corner flag was etc , but I still think of it even today. I stayed up from the ground and I loved floodlit games as I made my way down to Broomfield. The debate on great Scottish grounds and the two cheeks was good humoured, so well done. What Ukranians make of it I leave to others. As to Crighton I think you are correct that he seems off the mark . The main worry is we seem unable to stick at a formation which attacks. I have gone for a defeat but I am near the bottom of the prediction League so hope I fail again,

17 minutes ago, BendtnerBairn said:

Hi guys, just dropping in with a wee interview with Thomas Robert x 

https://www.stonewallermag.co.uk/post/thomas-robert-diamond-in-the-rough

It is his first senior year and he is young but he has scored some great goals. Living in the West end of Glasgow might just have an edge on Airdrie but I can recommend Chapelhall!   I went on to read the Craig Telfer article which was a quality read. Well done

6 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

It is his first senior year and he is young but he has scored some great goals. Living in the West end of Glasgow might just have an edge on Airdrie but I can recommend Chapelhall!   I went on to read the Craig Telfer article which was a quality read. Well done

My guy, much appreciated ♦️🖤