The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Posted elsewhere but today was the pits. It reminded me of the worst days of Findlay and Dalziel/Wilson. To have made no changes essentially after last week is unforgiveable.  To make that triple panicky subs move again makes me think he should just go now ( A great song by the Moody Blues -which sums up how I feel tonight)

4 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

Just listened to the managers interview so wish I had watched the game they two seen rather than the Airdrie v Montrose game. 

Small point of interest how can the manager looked surprised and not no when asked about the next 4 games being away 🤔

I can't bear watching another one of his interviews. Maybe tomorrow!

49 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

As soon as we concede you can see the heads go down and we look utterly lifeless afterwards. As you say no ideas on how to break a team down (and nothing come from the bench or management team either) and low on confidence. You could maybe get away with that if you were solid and weren't conceding much but the problem is we are. 

TBH I don't really agree. This season's squad is pretty much the best of last year's minus only Smith and Ryan. Other than them who do we really miss? Even then you could class Robert as a replacement for Smith. He doesn't have the same industry as Smith but he's already scored half of what Smith did last season so probably has a better end product. Not pushing the boat out to re-sign Ryan or sign another quality striker looks criminal and ultimately costly though. I don't think this season's squad is miles better than last's. But I really don't think it's worse. The problem is Murray isn't playing a system that gets the best out of them. Another re-occurring problem of his tenure. 

I agree about the squad. It is not better or worse than last year to any significant degree. The goalies and back 4 are no different really, and still have McKay, Kerr, Carrick and Gallagher in midfield and up front. Ryan wasn't with us long enough (or hit any form) to be classed as a loss from last year. So all we have really done is replaced Smith with Connell and Roberts with Robert. You are right, the issues are relating to the set-up. I think a good manager would have this squad finishing in the play-offs. I think even Murray would accept that if we finish outside them it has been a failure.

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

As soon as we concede you can see the heads go down and we look utterly lifeless afterwards. As you say no ideas on how to break a team down (and nothing come from the bench or management team either) and low on confidence. You could maybe get away with that if you were solid and weren't conceding much but the problem is we are. 

TBH I don't really agree. This season's squad is pretty much the best of last year's minus only Smith and Ryan. Other than them who do we really miss? Even then you could class Robert as a replacement for Smith. He doesn't have the same industry as Smith but he's already scored half of what Smith did last season so probably has a better end product. Not pushing the boat out to re-sign Ryan or sign another quality striker looks criminal and ultimately costly though. I don't think this season's squad is miles better than last's. But I really don't think it's worse. The problem is Murray isn't playing a system that gets the best out of them. Another re-occurring problem of his tenure. 

The last year v this year just comes down to opinion mate . I genuinely believe we were on to something last season whether that would’ve came to anything or not we will never know and I can’t see us being close this year. In terms of goalkeeper I think currie in the long run will prove better than Gallagher/Hutton but it’s not showing now . The midfield of Kerr McKay and Sabatini is very defensive and one dimensional I think last year with millar nat (who scored today) and Kurtis Roberts  (all Be it not world beaters) had different qualities and offered different options certainly were good enough for this league. Totally agree with the attack last year being better . Robert would come close to a replacement for smith . Connell isn’t as good as chucky would be and to be longing for ally Roy to return to action who wasn’t good enough to get a look in last year ... 

It's true that Roy wasn't up to much last year, but to be fair to him he had clearly hit a good run of form, albeit mostly in friendlies, before he got injured.  I would take Robert over Smith for sure, for the other new ones the jury is out for me.  Sabatini is clearly a very skillful player, but whether its the system we're playing, him not clicking with the players around him or his own limitations, he doesn't seem to have much influence on the game. 

I’d agree that there really isn’t very much between the squad from last season and this one - both have turned in some truly dire performances, as well as some excellent ones.

For me, the issue is the manager I’m afraid - as others have said, I have a lot of time for Ian Murray, I was delighted when he was appointed and wanted him to/thought he would succeed with us. However, I think that, without a decent assistant by his side, he’s lost.

That for me, is the biggest difference between the two squads - I’d need to look at the stats, but I’m pretty certain our better performances and good run last season coincided with Colin Cameron being assistant. In addition, I think most Dumbarton fans would agree that Murray’s best spells came when he had Jack Ross by his side. I’m not saying they overrule everything he says, but sometimes having someone there to question you and give advice can bring out the best.

I do, like others, have a concern over Miller’s involvement too - we haven’t strengthened this season and based on the money we seem to have spent, that is inexcusable.

If we keep with the status quo, the absolute best we can hope for is to limp into fourth place.

I see no way back for Airdrie this season and promotion play offs are a long way off as well imo because they're at least 5 better teams than us on what I've seen so far. Even if we get shot of Murray which I highly doubt will happen this season seems like a dead rubber already. Hes no where near brutal enough and hangs onto hope that there are very small glimpses of what can be achieved. I called it after the Livi game that we should have cut our losses and could almost forgive the board for not acting then as it was defeat to a Premier team, however the signs were there and have been there for the 2 and a bit years hes been in charge. Barring that spell that took us to the top of the league last season we've been rotten and ultimately stagnated. I suspect we don't really have the funds to pay him off either which is understandable at this time but we also don't have the funds to buy into his serial failure style of football for much longer. 

1 hour ago, Diamond8 said:

I see no way back for Airdrie this season and promotion play offs are a long way off as well imo because they're at least 5 better teams than us on what I've seen so far. Even if we get shot of Murray which I highly doubt will happen this season seems like a dead rubber already. Hes no where near brutal enough and hangs onto hope that there are very small glimpses of what can be achieved. I called it after the Livi game that we should have cut our losses and could almost forgive the board for not acting then as it was defeat to a Premier team, however the signs were there and have been there for the 2 and a bit years hes been in charge. Barring that spell that took us to the top of the league last season we've been rotten and ultimately stagnated. I suspect we don't really have the funds to pay him off either which is understandable at this time but we also don't have the funds to buy into his serial failure style of football for much longer. 

If you look at the overall picture with the financial situation due to Covid imo be unlikely there would be a change in management this season unless there was a major collapse. Has Murray improved the team in his 2 years again imo he has as beforehand we looked like a team who could end up in the relegation play-offs rather than the promotion ones and to a large extent I don't think that's the case now. 

Last season we had a poor start in home games particularly and its the same this season. When Cameron was brought in there had been talks as the form wasn't good enough and the  changed to a more attacking formation and we went on a 6 game run and were looking good till he reverted back to type hard to beat at Clyde and got gubbed. From then on it was good game ok game poor game. 

Again this season it looks if we score first we do ok if we loose a goal first we struggle then throw men forward in the last 15.

In his own words the manager says we sometimes struggle to break down teams that are well organised really? If you know that then get a plan b.

Secondly he will say we hang on in there in games and in the run for promotion and then make a push, again really? 

Perhaps if Sean concentrated on the coaching side put him on the bench possibly could help the manager again only a thought.

With no disrespect to Montrose we are at home and how many saves did their keeper make even in our darkest times we would have an attempt or two, again imo this is dow to the formation front players isolated having to chase long balls. 

There needs to be some change to the team selection and tactics or we will not reach the play-offs. Next week is another difficult game and can only hope for a better performance that said don't see anything changing for that game in selection, tactics or result.

I am sure we would all want the manager to be successful with Airdrie sadly unless he listens and re-assesses his game plan  we will be stuck mid table for the foreseeable. ♦️

Just listened to the managers interview so wish I had watched the game they two seen rather than the Airdrie v Montrose game. 
Small point of interest how can the manager looked surprised and not no when asked about the next 4 games being away [emoji848]

I just watched it ... Murray saw a different game from the one I saw. He was right that the first half was pretty even but the second half wasn’t. With more clinical finishing we should’ve had another 2. How he comes away from that claiming Airdrie deserved a point is borderline delusional.

Was meant to add in yesterday’s rant has anyone else noticed how bad Murray is coming across in these interviews. I get it’s only a few minutes and the media guys work for the club but he doesn’t come across that great. We get the same brushed under the carpet short answers every Saturday without any depth or detail. More alarmingly after the cove game he said he didn’t know how long Robert’s contract lasted ??? How does the manager not know how long his players are signed for ? Also yesterday he didn’t realise we’ve got 4 away games in a row? These are things you’d expect any manager worth their salt to know... As I said maybe it’s the questions but a bit more depth maybe two interviews a week wouldn’t go a miss on how trainings going , progress etc??

28 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

Was meant to add in yesterday’s rant has anyone else noticed how bad Murray is coming across in these interviews. I get it’s only a few minutes and the media guys work for the club but he doesn’t come across that great. We get the same brushed under the carpet short answers every Saturday without any depth or detail. More alarmingly after the cove game he said he didn’t know how long Robert’s contract lasted ??? How does the manager not know how long his players are signed for ? Also yesterday he didn’t realise we’ve got 4 away games in a row? These are things you’d expect any manager worth their salt to know... As I said maybe it’s the questions but a bit more depth maybe two interviews a week wouldn’t go a miss on how trainings going , progress etc??

It would suggest that he doesn't have control of matters with someone above pulling the strings  doesn't seem at ease can see he looks away during interview. 

33 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

It would suggest that he doesn't have control of matters with someone above pulling the strings  doesn't seem at ease can see he looks away during interview. 

That is clearly the case, Murray has dropped a few hints just look back every interview this season,  he is the coach..  Player recruitment appears to be undertaken by Stuart Millar and Martin Ferguson with Murray given the players , it sounds plausible and possible to work under these restraints,  The problem is it has unravelled very quickly, Sabatini and Robert have flashes of brilliance but over 90 minutes both are found wanting.  I doubt if either will be here by the end of the January window....   We really are in a sorry state and it is all self i inflicted and ego driven..  Bringing a T shirt out after 2 goals now makes us look a laughing stock.

Moving forward we probably have to take a 'doing' off Falkirk and try and keep ourselves out of danger until we find our feet,  Murray has to be brave and use his squad, bring Ritchie into right back to replace a clearly struggling McDonald,  Stokes to replace either Kerr,McKay or Sabatini in an advanced role,  to be honest be doesn't have many more options,  so much for a good squad.....

1 hour ago, Ralstonite said:

Saw this on the BBC, probably common knowledge, but:

970302563_Screenshot2020-12-13at15_25_01.png.8ad25c781694fbc3c820d87c58a3a754.png

If someone comes in for him in January hopefully we can put a clause that they have to take Murray and Miller as part of the deal.

18 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

Saw this on the BBC, probably common knowledge, but:

970302563_Screenshot2020-12-13at15_25_01.png.8ad25c781694fbc3c820d87c58a3a754.png

I said earlier in the thread I'd rather have a promotion and wave Tam Rab away for free in summer happily,  I think its become clear we will be nowhere near getting promoted, so 2nd prize would be take the cash in January, use some of that to pay Murray off.