The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

30 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Iain Murray is a fucking charlatan. No matter how this ends up we’ve been hopeless again. The fact he’s just made another triple substitution replacing the front three tells me he’s ran out of ideas.

We shouldn’t be struggling to break down teams week in week out with the players we have in our squad. We have a very good squad for this level and Murray simply isn’t getting anywhere near the best out of it.

Euan O Reilly, Craig Thomson are you serious,  the squad is shockingly bad, fu c king woeful in fact

1 minute ago, Moon said:

I don't think the squad is anything special, but the system is rotten too. 

I agree look at the league table should be no reason why we can't make the play-offs but with the systems employed by the management team  we won't. At home to Montrose and we hardly have a shot at goal not good enough ♦️

Agreed. Both East Fife & Montrose are decent but not great League One sides and we’ve completely and utterly failed to break them down. We’re now only one point ahead of that honking Peterhead team. Awful.

Not a great league one side?? In the seasons since our promotion we have finished 4th last season which was cut short for obvious reasons. Season prior to that we also finished 4th winning the first leg of playoff against queens and being beaten by a Dobbie striking masterclass in the second leg. So to say we are not a great league one side?? Pipe doon. Your “full time” budget against our tiny one? A great win for a much better side. Onwards to next week COYM [emoji170]

4 minutes ago, Champs17/18coym said:

Not a great league one side?? In the seasons since our promotion we have finished 4th last season which was cut short for obvious reasons. Season prior to that we also finished 4th winning the first leg of playoff against queens and being beaten by a Dobbie striking masterclass in the second leg. So to say we are not a great league one side?? Pipe doon. Your “full time” budget against our tiny one? A great win for a much better side. Onwards to next week COYM emoji170.png

Is finishing 4th in a 10 team league twice in a row not the definition of 'decent', as was suggested? Not sure why you take offence at not being described as 'great', great sides don't finish 4th, that's not really a controversial opinion.

Montrose were much better today and fully deserved to win, don't think anyone has denied this either.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

You aren't a great league 1 side, 2 4th placed finishes backs that statement up. That doesn't mean you are a bad league 1 side, you are better than us but that isnt difficult with murray in charge here. Montrose are decent and on their day capable of beating anyone in this league. If you were "great" you would be top of the pile - which you are not.

I had a lot of time for Murray but that can't be defended anymore. We can't buy a win at home or put any sort of consistent run of form together. He's no clue how to fix either of those things or change a game from a losing position. His subs reek of utter desperation every week and bear no thought to tactics, shape or performance. It's purely about throwing any sort of attacking player on in the hope that something will stick. It almost causes me literal pain seeing players like Robert or Carrick (you know, who could actually score or create something) coming off for Thomson and O'Reilly. It's been the same problems for the duration of his tenure. And we're not even difficult to beat now. The defence which was so reliable last season has regressed quite alarmingly. Another gift of a goal conceded today with 6 defensive players on the pitch and another game without a shot on target. That's pathetic. I don't like calling for a man to lose his job. I think he has improved us (even if only incrementally) from when he took over and he seems like a decent man who's trying his best. But it's time for a change.  

23 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

I agree look at the league table should be no reason why we can't make the play-offs but with the systems employed by the management team  we won't. At home to Montrose and we hardly have a shot at goal not good enough ♦️

Who do you think we can finish above realistically going by what we’ve seen so far ?
Don’t think its just the system from 1 to 11 we have been utterly hopeless. I think they have to take a large portion of the blame the last two games have any had “pass marks” ? None in my opinion . 

As I said last week there are ways to lose games that are acceptable creating chances, good pieces of play just coming short and putting a lot of effort in  etc. The way we are losing just now is the worrying part we look a team with no ideas , no confidence and ultimately limited quality. Lapses in concentration costing us goals also. 

7 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

Who do you think we can finish above realistically going by what we’ve seen so far ?
Don’t think its just the system from 1 to 11 we have been utterly hopeless. I think they have to take a large portion of the blame the last two games have any had “pass marks” ? None in my opinion . 

As I said last week there are ways to lose games that are acceptable creating chances, good pieces of play just coming short and putting a lot of effort in  etc. The way we are losing just now is the worrying part we look a team with no ideas , no confidence and ultimately limited quality. Lapses in concentration costing us goals also. 

I have been saying for two seasons we are too negative we play two defenders in midfield plus a sitting midfielder we show the opposition too much respect our systems allow teams to dominate the play. 

The interview will be the same we worked on our game plan all week we dominated the last 20 we switched of didnt defend properly at the goal.

We are playing at home why are we not settling out to dominate the game as we obviously are not hard to beat. 

If anyone can see that this style of play will bring any joy or success then fair play to you for me being a diamond fan I dont expect much and throughout the ups and downs I am proud to be a fan saying that I no pish when I see it and today as last week we were pish ♦️

6 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

As soon as we concede you can see the heads go down and we look utterly lifeless afterwards. As you say no ideas on how to break a team down (and nothing come from the bench or management team either) and low on confidence. You could maybe get away with that if you were solid and weren't conceding much but the problem is we are. 

5 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

Totally Agree. 

TBH I don't really agree. This season's squad is pretty much the best of last year's minus only Smith and Ryan. Other than them who do we really miss? Even then you could class Robert as a replacement for Smith. He doesn't have the same industry as Smith but he's already scored half of what Smith did last season so probably has a better end product. Not pushing the boat out to re-sign Ryan or sign another quality striker looks criminal and ultimately costly though. I don't think this season's squad is miles better than last's. But I really don't think it's worse. The problem is Murray isn't playing a system that gets the best out of them. Another re-occurring problem of his tenure. 

12 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Does anyone else think it's possible that Crighton having the additional responsibility of coaching at the club is having a detrimental effect on his training and by extension his performances?

Yeah quite possibly. I think he was helping with the coaching last season too but his performances have been notably worse since the official announcement. 

To be honest I’m more concerned that we seem to be getting worse with Stuart Millar seeming more involved. If Murray goes then I think Millar needs to go too but I have the fear we’ll end up with Millar as a caretaker in that situation.

8 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Yeah quite possibly. I think he was helping with the coaching last season too but his performances have been notably worse since the official announcement. 

To be honest I’m more concerned that we seem to be getting worse with Stuart Millar seeming more involved. If Murray goes then I think Millar needs to go too but I have the fear we’ll end up with Millar as a caretaker in that situation.

Not sure how many games the run was but Kerr did a decent job at the back last season May do Sean good to step back for few weeks.

If take last years players over sabatini and Robert, Robert has gave away 2 goals in 2 games, look at Montrose no foreigners! League 1 is a different sport near enough compared to what these boys are used to. Co-commentators got a hard on every time they do something because they’ve got a foreign name. Yes Robert has done a bit in recent games but over the piece I’d still take last years boys! Can’t tell me that Sabatini is more effective that Millar...

If take last years players over sabatini and Robert, Robert has gave away 2 goals in 2 games, look at Montrose no foreigners! League 1 is a different sport near enough compared to what these boys are used to. Co-commentators got a hard on every time they do something because they’ve got a foreign name. Yes Robert has done a bit in recent games but over the piece I’d still take last years boys! Can’t tell me that Sabatini is more effective that Millar...

Well this is just an awful take.

“No foreigners = great success!!!”