The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

How are the foreigners that you signed getting on?

Robert took a while to get going but he was excellent for the entire month of November. Sabatini started really well and while he hasn't really done anything wrong he hasn't been as noticeable in the last couple of games, still a strong start to his Airdrie career though. Mbayo and Stokes (does Irish count as foreign?) have hardly played. Didn't really expect Mbayo to play much given that he'd have Crighton, Fordyce and Kerr to compete with for a place in the team, but I think most expected Stokes to be more involved so that's been a bit disappointing.

7 minutes ago, monthe blues said:

Surprised you let Millar go,He is the first name on our team sheet every week

Was surprised too, especially when a few passengers from last season were kept on as well as a bunch of random kids

Edited by G_H

I think we do miss Millar’s energy and drive at times. He was probably our most consistent player last season with the exception of Fordyce and I’d have been happy for him to stay. However, while he’s very good at charging around and winning the ball back he is a very limited player outside of that. I know he’s not everyone’s favourite but McKay has had a good start to the season and is a much more well rounded player, so I can see why he was kept ahead of Millar. Our biggest problem last season was controlling the midfield and a lack of creativity in there and Millar’s never going to solve those issues. I’m not sure I’d have him in ahead of McKay and Sabatini at the moment but he would be a much better option than the other unproven guys on the bench.  I’m glad to see he’s doing well at Stranraer though as I do like him as a player.

I still think it’s quite unfortunate that Millar and Wedderburn never really worked well together. In theory they should have complimented each other well, Millar is full of energy and runs around all game winning tackles while Wedderburn can barely move but has a great range of passing. Both had good moments for Airdrie, Millar particularly, but for some reason though it just never seemed to click. 

On 08/12/2020 at 09:25, Jack Reed said:

Aye, it has been our problem for a while, so obvious hard to believe the manager did not address, feel Ryan would have come  good again and would have been worth chasing, it becomes apparent after a few games  we have not improved a few times d other positions are not as strong as other teams  like East fife on Sat, noticed that someone pointed out we signed players from championship, aye big Sean was with Brechin, they never won a game all season, and I am sorry but I think Robert is a luxury we can't afford, need a few more players to get stuck in  when we go a goal down, 

Not sure I would agree with that.  Did he not score in three consecutive games before the EF game?  We spent most of last season bemoaning our lack of attacking creativity, he's got it in spades. 

1 hour ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Not sure I would agree with that.  Did he not score in three consecutive games before the EF game?  We spent most of last season bemoaning our lack of attacking creativity, he's got it in spades. 

Will be the same again thisAgree he is a class act on the ball, we need hard grafters off the ball and winning the ball, I did not expect anyone or care if you agree with me, I do not think our players or our new players we signed are good enough for this 3rd tier  league, you have to think who on Sat would get a start for us from East fife team, probably 8 of them, will be the same again this week if we don't get that ball down and graft to get  win, 

I liked Kieran Millar well enough but, as his career has suggested, he's a mid-table-top-half League 1 player at best. Nothing wrong with that if that's your aim but if we want to get promoted we should be aiming to sign a better quality of player. Whether or not we've done that is down to your opinion/will be borne out by the end of the season but for what it's worth I wouldn't have him in my team over McKay or Sabatini. The Roberts debate has been done, and aye I would have liked to have kept a hold of him, but for whatever reason he clearly wasn't fancied and again I can't really blame the club for planning/hoping to bring in a better standard of player. I think he would be a better option off the bench than Thompson, O'Reilly and Stokes but again I don't think I'd have him in my team over Robert or Carrick. 

Would be worse off with Millar and Roberts in the team? Not hugely so if at all IMO. Would we be better? I really don't think so.  

On 05/12/2020 at 23:14, Diamond10 said:

Only in some games when things are going our way the attackers seem to play well . As I mentioned previously it seems like it’s curtains if we concede first in a game.  Who’s going to dig a goal out of nothing for us when things aren’t going our way like today or like the Dumbarton game? 

If we were to sustain a reasonable attempt at promotion they need to turn up more often than not and just now they  are not.

Agree with the coach shout another person in and about the dressing room with alternative ideas would only be a pretty logical thing to help Murray.

Watching the highlights of sat game and the 2 goals lost goes a long way to seeing the problem, can't defend in the air now and goal no 2 came from the big boot again, 

12 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Will be the same again thisAgree he is a class act on the ball, we need hard grafters off the ball and winning the ball, I did not expect anyone or care if you agree with me, I do not think our players or our new players we signed are good enough for this 3rd tier  league, you have to think who on Sat would get a start for us from East fife team, probably 8 of them, will be the same again this week if we don't get that ball down and graft to get  win, 

Could you name the 8 east fife players that would get in our team? Personally i could only see 2/3 get into our team.

22 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I liked Kieran Millar well enough but, as his career has suggested, he's a mid-table-top-half League 1 player at best. Nothing wrong with that if that's your aim but if we want to get promoted we should be aiming to sign a better quality of player. Whether or not we've done that is down to your opinion/will be borne out by the end of the season but for what it's worth I wouldn't have him in my team over McKay or Sabatini. The Roberts debate has been done, and aye I would have liked to have kept a hold of him, but for whatever reason he clearly wasn't fancied and again I can't really blame the club for planning/hoping to bring in a better standard of player. I think he would be a better option off the bench than Thompson, O'Reilly and Stokes but again I don't think I'd have him in my team over Robert or Carrick. 

Would be worse off with Millar and Roberts in the team? Not hugely so if at all IMO. Would we be better? I really don't think so.  

The club  Has always said that they will make mistakes, but learn from them.....  But frankly we are making the same mistakes, I am taking Murray out off this discussion at the moment,  We knew this time last year the squad limitations,  Ryan came in because Carrick and seagal could not cut it often enough,  we lacked goals from midfield, wideplayers and defence.....

Fast forward 12 months and we have probably more issues to resolve,,   Recruitment has been nothing more than a train wreck,     

We have 2 games to save our season even this early, Montrose then Falkirk.....

I think the board are looking for more bang for their buck,    who does the hammer fall on Stuart Millar or Ian Murray....

Personally think that we are short of one piece of the puxzzle. A tall experienced centre forward who can hold the ball up well and give defences a hard time. As I have said many times....our forward line does not cause any real fear for other sides.  At the moment we are trying to feed on scraps from the second ball up front, this is typified by the incessant long throws into the box which must have a success rate of about 0.1%.

11 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Could you name the 8 east fife players that would get in our team? Personally i could only see 2/3 get into our team.

Bottom line is these players are playing in the 3rd tier of Scottish football for a reason. Some guys using it as a stepping stone or players in the twiligh5 of their career. East Fife have a fair few who have played at a much better level, Stewart Murdoch, Ryan Wallace, Chris Higgins, Scott Agnew, Danny Swanson. Airdrie look to be going down the route of bringing in untried potential. Consistency is the holy grail at our level you would struggle to name many players who give a solid 8 out of 10 every week. I personally believe that squad continuity is vastly underrated. Arbroath have been excellent at this under Dick Campbell, he seems to know when the time is right to freshen things up.  He’ll openly tell you that the players he brings in have to be better than what he already has. I think your going to get a lot of inconsistencies when you chop and change your squad especially when the new players are very young and inexperienced.

8 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Just put them in a hat draw 8 names, you overestimate our team a  bit like manager, 

To follow your comments on the 7/8 players of that East Fife team , I certainly would see more value in Agnew and  Wallace as those are the positions we need more quality. But as Fifer 67 says there is a reason why they play in L1 and that applies to our experienced players as well. I just hope it was a bad day at the office , given my half full personality, but Montrose will be another test for all of us.

1 hour ago, Diamond72 said:

Personally think that we are short of one piece of the puxzzle. A tall experienced centre forward who can hold the ball up well and give defences a hard time. As I have said many times....our forward line does not cause any real fear for other sides.  At the moment we are trying to feed on scraps from the second ball up front, this is typified by the incessant long throws into the box which must have a success rate of about 0.1%.

I can think of one man. #BringHimHome

8CBC10AC-9627-4032-8E3C-9CE6B1E78733.jpeg

49 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

To follow your comments on the 7/8 players of that East Fife team , I certainly would see more value in Agnew and  Wallace as those are the positions we need more quality. But as Fifer 67 says there is a reason why they play in L1 and that applies to our experienced players as well. I just hope it was a bad day at the office , given my half full personality, but Montrose will be another test for all of us.

I hope so, it was a hard watch the game and the commentary, beginning to take longer to get over,after Tuesday used to forget and look forward to sat again, now not sure if I am looking forward to montrose,