The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

40 minutes ago, Mr November said:

It was fun while it lasted.

Was always going to happen sadly. I just hope he moves smartly and joins a club where he'll actually get the chance to develop and not be left rotting in a youth or reserve team i.e. the Old Firm. Lets enjoy him while he's here and hopefully we'll get to see some Tam Rab magic in person at some point. 

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

It was fun while it lasted.

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Was always going to happen sadly. I just hope he moves smartly and joins a club where he'll actually get the chance to develop and not be left rotting in a youth or reserve team i.e. the Old Firm. Lets enjoy him while he's here and hopefully we'll get to see some Tam Rab magic in person at some point. 

Could try to go for a sale with a loan back clause? That way he gets more first team football and time to develop and continue to acclimatise to a more physical brand of football ahead of a step up.

If I recall correctly he was only contracted for a year, so pretty inevitable.

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

You’re absolutely right. Let’s remember all the interest him in the summer though. But he still signed for Airdrie. He signed for us for a reason, that reason being guaranteed first team football. So hopefully he stays until the end of the season atleast. 

2 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

You’re absolutely right. Let’s remember all the interest him in the summer though. But he still signed for Airdrie. He signed for us for a reason, that reason being guaranteed first team football. So hopefully he stays until the end of the season atleast. 

I'd heard when he signed that it was only a year because a deal has more or less been done that would see him move in June 21, and he was with us for the year to track his progress.

Might be a load of garbage but sounded reasonable at the time.

10 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I'd heard when he signed that it was only a year because a deal has more or less been done that would see him move in June 21, and he was with us for the year to track his progress.

Might be a load of garbage but sounded reasonable at the time.

Yeah I think this makes sense. I think no matter how good he was this season he was only ever  going to be here for a year. If he can keep up this form and then move onto a big club next summer it can only be a good thing for the club in terms of attracting players in the future/dodgy agreements with agents.

1 minute ago, AJ77 said:

I'd like to think we wouldn't sell him in january would rather him stay till end of the season and leave on a free rather than get what maybe 20/30k in january? Would be silly business

Just said the same to my mate, he could be the difference in a 0-0 playoff game (if the leagues gone). Remember killie wanting Allan Russell in January for £30k but JB saying it was £50k or nothing, and then he scored a couple in the playoffs at Raith.

I'd much rather he was waved away for free with a promotion than banking a token gesture in January.

2 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Just said the same to my mate, he could be the difference in a 0-0 playoff game (if the leagues gone). Remember killie wanting Allan Russell in January for £30k but JB saying it was £50k or nothing, and then he scored a couple in the playoffs at Raith.

I'd much rather he was waved away for free with a promotion than banking a token gesture in January.

7 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

I'd like to think we wouldn't sell him in january would rather him stay till end of the season and leave on a free rather than get what maybe 20/30k in january? Would be silly business

Promotion would be MUCH more valuable than him leaving in January for £20k-£30k. 

2 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Promotion would be MUCH more valuable than him leaving in January for £20k-£30k. 

He was brought in buy the agents to showcase they would be looking for a better return and Airdrie get a decent player to try and get promoted.... they will almost certainly get some Harry's jam rolly polly's as part of the deal ♦️

Edited by Eric the half a b

50 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Played about 6 games in 1964-65. He gets a mention in John Henderson's book on the 60s. Will need to look it out again. 

In John's book this was described as a "brief stay" . He only featured between August-October, and played in one winning side . A lanarkshire cup SF over Motherwell 2nd Leg but being a 5-5 aggregate Motherwell won the coin toss! Condolences to his family. 

Mind you that season we lost 110 goals in the League and got relegated, but Third Lanark were worse. We had lost 9 to rangers and 8 to Hearts, but our squad included Tommy Murray/Jackie Ferguson/Jim Hannah/Jackie Keenan/Davy Marshall and the returning Ian McMillan!  No doubt some of us thought then that was the worst Airdrie team ever seen, but promoted back the next season scoring 107 League goals.

I doubt it will be the case but looking at that starting 11 I'd like to see us use the (aptly named) diamond formation

Currie

MacDonald Crighton Fordyce McCann

Kerr

McKay Sabatini

Robert

Connell Carrick

I feel like that would get the best out of most of those players, with Kerr a little deeper, McCann and MacDonald given the license to go forward, Robert more central, McKay in more of a position to push up from deep. It's probably more likely that it will either be 3-5-2 with Kerr in defence or 4-2-3-1 with McKay pushed further up or on the right side of midfield. I think that's maybe close to our best 11 players in any case but I'd maybe have liked one of the more defensive players out for someone more attacking. I would have quite liked to see Kerr drop into the back 4 over MacDonald and have Gallagher or Stokes come in to make the front 3 a front 4.

On 30/11/2020 at 19:57, airdrieman said:

His Instagram too is something of a three-way bromance between him, Robert and Sabatini. Something that's been commented on by a few of the players this season and last is that there's a great spirit and camaraderie in the dressing room, something which I think has been missing at the club for a long time. It's a cliche but it's nice to see and does make a difference on the park. 

I see Mbayo’s now taken to posting on the facebook page during games too. He seems to be loving life here.