The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

On 29/11/2020 at 13:33, Jack Reed said:

I think we were very lucky to still be in the game after 45 mins, 

Jack , if we draw or heaven forbid, get beat by East Fife on Saturday  I hope that  you're  no thinking of heading down to the Penny Cabs stadium on Saturday night to call for Murray's head, fight with the polis and generally get up to  mischief.  Get that right out of your head.

2 hours ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Jack , if we draw or heaven forbid, get beat by East Fife on Saturday  I hope that  you're  no thinking of heading down to the Penny Cabs stadium on Saturday night to call for Murray's head, fight with the polis and generally get up to  mischief.  Get that right out of your head.

No, think it will be a rope😂🤣👍

7 hours ago, Mr November said:

I’m a big fan of Harlain Mbayo’s twitter just becoming a Thomas Robert fan page. He’s not likely to play much but he seems like a good guy to have around.

His Instagram too is something of a three-way bromance between him, Robert and Sabatini. Something that's been commented on by a few of the players this season and last is that there's a great spirit and camaraderie in the dressing room, something which I think has been missing at the club for a long time. It's a cliche but it's nice to see and does make a difference on the park. 

12 hours ago, airdrieman said:

His Instagram too is something of a three-way bromance between him, Robert and Sabatini. Something that's been commented on by a few of the players this season and last is that there's a great spirit and camaraderie in the dressing room, something which I think has been missing at the club for a long time. It's a cliche but it's nice to see and does make a difference on the park. 

I can remember speaking to callum fordyces parents in the pub at one of the away games last year either peterhead or stranraer, and they were going on about how much he was enjoying his football again and it was the best dressing room he's been in, glad to see it hasn't changed this season!

2 hours ago, AJ77 said:

I can remember speaking to callum fordyces parents in the pub at one of the away games last year either peterhead or stranraer, and they were going on about how much he was enjoying his football again and it was the best dressing room he's been in, glad to see it hasn't changed this season!

Bizarrely, at one of the away games i spoke to a guy in the pie queue, Raith away it was.  Turned out to be Huttons old man and he said exactly the same.

Edited by ++Ammo - Airdrie++

Right, no one speak to Kevin McDonald’s Dad about his son’s time with us 🤪

It strikes me that we’ve got a really young team. Griffin, Robert, Connell and Walker all in their first senior year. MacDonald, McCann, McKay and Kerr in only their second. Consistency is going to be a challenge and if they are a strong unit that can only help 🤞🏻

1 hour ago, CapitalDiamond said:

It strikes me that we’ve got a really young team. Griffin, Robert, Connell and Walker all in their first senior year. MacDonald, McCann, McKay and Kerr in only their second. Consistency is going to be a challenge and if they are a strong unit that can only help 🤞🏻

Yeah even our experienced players are guys like Crighton, Fordyce and Carrick, none of whom are that old. I think Hutton must be our only player well over 30. I don’t think that’s a bad thing though, we don’t want a dressing room full of inexperienced players and players on the way down with nothing in between. It can only be a good thing to have good professionals like Crighton, Fordyce and Carrick for the younger guys to learn from. 

Cove passed the ball about very well in the 1st half and were impressive but we still had the better chances and possible penalty albeit soft. There goal and only shot on target in 1st half came from a mistake by our defender who played well 2nd half. We could have easly been 2 or 3 up at ht going on chances created even though we didn't play well. 2nd half hit the bar twice and scored a cracking goal I thought we deserved the 3 points in the end never mind 1. There a neat and tidy team well organised as well but didn't do much with the ball particularly in the 1st half very few clear cut chances if any! 

Yeah even our experienced players are guys like Crighton, Fordyce and Carrick, none of whom are that old. I think Hutton must be our only player well over 30. I don’t think that’s a bad thing though, we don’t want a dressing room full of inexperienced players and players on the way down with nothing in between. It can only be a good thing to have good professionals like Crighton, Fordyce and Carrick for the younger guys to learn from. 

Hutton, Crighton, Fordyce, Carrick, Gallagher and Thomson are the only players we have that are 25 or older. If you order the team from youngest to oldest it's guys like Sabatini, Mbayo and Kerr (all only 22) that are in the middle.

9 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

I remember McDonald's parents were sitting in the same row as me at one game and an old boy in front of us said 'Kevin McDonald should be thrown over the Forth Road Bridge'. I'm unsure if he was aware who they were or if that would have made any difference. 

3 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I remember McDonald's parents were sitting in the same row as me at one game and an old boy in front of us said 'Kevin McDonald should be thrown over the Forth Road Bridge'. I'm unsure if he was aware who they were or if that would have made any difference. 

I know it was not me , but did they agree?  I once was moaning about how unfit Kevin McBride had been the previous week. When I said I thought he was carrying an injury, a voice behind me replied : " So I was"! Made me always look around for strangers in our row from then on.

It is one of the difficulties that the family/friends of many players will be aware of as they are always on a transitory journey but we are permanent fixtures. 

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I know it was not me , but did they agree?  I once was moaning about how unfit Kevin McBride had been the previous week. When I said I thought he was carrying an injury, a voice behind me replied : " So I was"! Made me always look around for strangers in our row from then on.

It is one of the difficulties that the family/friends of many players will be aware of as they are always on a transitory journey but we are permanent fixtures. 

I think they, probably rightly, just ignored it. It didn't kickoff anyway. They used to come up pretty regularly from Newcastle so fair play to them. McDonald is now the Musselburgh manager so there's a Scottish Cup banana skin to avoid. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

I think they, probably rightly, just ignored it. It didn't kickoff anyway. They used to come up pretty regularly from Newcastle so fair play to them. McDonald is now the Musselburgh manager so there's a Scottish Cup banana skin to avoid. 

That was sensible: if only Wedderburn's pals and that incident last season had followed that trajectory-we would have missed out on the family section and references to pop singers in the programme. I quite liked Kevin McDonald although he thought he was better than he showed. 

9 hours ago, Diamond72 said:

From my recollection Kevin McDonald was fairly good, but yes he did think he was Pavel Nedved. Unfortunately he kept being relieved of the ball in midfield which set up numerous attacks for the opposition. His fault or the mananagers?

Sometime a player gets caught on the ball more than others for the simple reason he is on the ball a lot more than  others,