The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Agree with a lot of what has been said. Beat Cove next week and the Falkirk result goes our way on Tuesday and we could be sitting top of the league. Which is remarkable given some of our performances and results so far. On the flip side, when we turn it on we're excellent, solid at the back (aside from a few hiccups recently) and dare I say it even exciting to watch?! While I don't want to ham it up too much as the sides we've beaten in the league (Peterhead, Clyde and Forfar) will all be in the bottom half this season I do think at our best we can beat or at the very least takes points off every side in this division. Beating the 'poorer' sides isn't something to be sniffed at either since it's generally something we've struggled with in recent years. When we're off though we're completely and utterly inept. The performances in the Dumbarton and the recent League Cup games were pitiful. Thistle away was a missed opportunity also. That inconsistency (especially at home) and our inability to come back from losing positions are still big concerns for me. Next week will be a good marker for us. 

Can't argue with the performance yesterday. If/when Sabatini is fully fit I'd still have him in my midfield every week though. 

Didn't realise Falkirk were playing on Tuesday. 

Aye, they're away to Dumbarton - I think the game was off due to a waterlogged pitch the week before we played them (which was of course moved to Airdrie for the same reason).  Getting into winter Dumbarton must be at risk of piling up a few postponed games and having to squeeze them all into a relatively short space of time because of the shortened season. 

Aye, they're away to Dumbarton - I think the game was off due to a waterlogged pitch the week before we played them (which was of course moved to Airdrie for the same reason).  Getting into winter Dumbarton must be at risk of piling up a few postponed games and having to squeeze them all into a relatively short space of time because of the shortened season. 

That was Dumbarton vs Clyde which was played midweek after our game against Dumbarton. I assume Dumbarton and Falkirk were meant to play each other next weekend but it was changed to an earlier date because of Falkirk's League Cup game with Rangers.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

That was Dumbarton vs Clyde which was played midweek after our game against Dumbarton. I assume Dumbarton and Falkirk were meant to play each other next weekend but it was changed to an earlier date because of Falkirk's League Cup game with Rangers.

Lots of realistic optimism, especially as the Forfar highlights gives us time to see what an attacking style produced. We are now equal in goals scored in L1 which would amaze some of us expecting grinded out 1-0 games. I know the 5 over Clyde was a surprise but scoring first appears to boost our performance. I won't get carried away but a draw at Dumbarton, or loss for Falkirk and a win over Cove puts us top. All ifs and buts but at least I was happy last night.

On 22/11/2020 at 18:42, Chapelhall chap said:

Lots of realistic optimism, especially as the Forfar highlights gives us time to see what an attacking style produced. We are now equal in goals scored in L1 which would amaze some of us expecting grinded out 1-0 games. I know the 5 over Clyde was a surprise but scoring first appears to boost our performance. I won't get carried away but a draw at Dumbarton, or loss for Falkirk and a win over Cove puts us top. All ifs and buts but at least I was happy last nigh

Falkirk win easy, funny thing we had a lot more possession than Falkirk, but after sat showing, playing more attack minded we just have to look after our own games, we just might surprise a few, start on Sat big game big result, this time Airdrie, 

27 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Falkirk win easy, funny thing we had a lot more possession than Falkirk, but after sat showing, playing more attack minded we just have to look after our own games, we just might surprise a few, start on Sat big game big result, this time Airdrie, 

Personally not to fussed about league placing this early,  we hit top in December last year then we couldn't hack the pressure.....     Big game on Saturday looking at Cove s line up against Falkirk with Me gginson, McAllister and McIntosh all starting, it's looks like they will come to win, which may well suit our preferred counter attacking setup...  I am going for a Desmond in this one....

hopefully we play in our ho me strip for this game,   Why did we have to change at For far red and white is never a clash with light blue and Navy,   bizarre....

5 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Yeah agree with that we just have to take care of ourselves I still think any place in the top 4 is perfectly acceptable. Wouldn’t be surprised if the current top 4 is the top 4 come may in one order or another. I just hope we can start building a gap from 5th upwards. Starting hopefully against cove this Saturday.

Edited by Diamond10

5 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

Yeah agree with that we just have to take care of ourselves I still think any place in the top 4 is perfectly acceptable. Wouldn’t be surprised if the current top 4 is the top 4 come may in one order or another. I just hope we can start building a gap from 5th upwards. Starting hopefully against cove this Saturday.

Agree with this, first focus on getting a good gap from 5th place then start thinking about a title challenge later on in the season if we're there or there abouts.

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

Agree with this, first focus on getting a good gap from 5th place then start thinking about a title challenge later on in the season if we're there or there abouts.

Aye, would be great to do a Clyde or Forfar on them, getting that can't wait for Sat again, hope it lasts, 

This optimism is worrying.  I'm usually quite Easy-Ohsy but we've all seen enough over the last however many years that when we hit a bit of form, or look like we're playing decent..... along comes a performance to shatter all that.

Even going back to last season, hitting a great run, 6 wins in a row (i think), big noisy away support away up to Kirkcaldy in the rain, and once again coming away absolutely gutted.  I'll keep my optimism (and pessimism) to a minimum.  I'll credit them for good performances when its due, and give criticism when its due but I wont be looking or thinking about titles until we've beaten the likes of Falkirk and Cove this year in big games to prove we can last the pace.

22 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Yep I did say ifs and buts, and we often get excited about going a winning run, so we might as well start that against Cove.  I was checking the programme from that Cup defeat season . After losing to Cove, we then lost 1-6 in a dreadful Methil collapse--no repeat of that please. Score first and stay ahead!

22 hours ago, Passionate said:

hopefully we play in our home strip for this game,   Why did we have to change at For far red and white is never a clash with light blue and Navy,   bizarre....

Colour clashes don't seem to be the reason as I think we've tended to wear the Black one any time at Forfar-would need to look back at highlights mind you.  Cove play in all blue ( except socks) so it should be the Red/White and hopefully not the yellow one.

4 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Colour clashes don't seem to be the reason as I think we've tended to wear the Black one any time at Forfar-would need to look back at highlights mind you.  Cove play in all blue ( except socks) so it should be the Red/White and hopefully not the yellow one.

Just reviewed that in archive and we did wear Red/White at end of 2017-18. They wore mainly blue so maybe the light blue was seen as too close on Saturday. As long as we win I could even thole the yellow one.

14 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

That was a terrible time being an Airdrie fan, came to a head right after the cove game with "Rolexgate" ,    Thankfully the then Supporters Trust and diehards, saw off  Zengan at the pass,    We had an  over subscribed consortium for the takeover, which quickly became under subscribed,  You could right a book.....  

7 hours ago, Passionate said:

That was a terrible time being an Airdrie fan, came to a head right after the cove game with "Rolexgate" ,    Thankfully the then Supporters Trust and diehards, saw off  Zengan at the pass,    We had an  over subscribed consortium for the takeover, which quickly became under subscribed,  You could right a book.....  

You could indeed.

https://www.idlehandsduffy.com/post/diamond-watches-forfar-1-3-airdrieonians

Was good to see them getting right back at it after two bad results in the cup. I still don't think they did much wrong in those games, to be fair. We were just so profligate with out chances against City, but we created more chances in that match than we did Vs Clyde. We then competed well for 55 mins or so against Livi before getting bodied. So in hindsight, it shouldnae be a surprise that we took care of Forfar with relative ease. 

Bigger test tomorrow, and consistency disnae really exist in this league, but if we do make it three wins on the bounce all of a sudden we're right in amongst the early running. 

Bit concerned by the match preview saying Connell and Gallagher are fitness doubts. We'd miss them both.