The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Good win. Played some really nice football at times - Robert and Connell's goals were absolutely gorgeous. Robert is a real class act. It was quite difficult to see it but looked a silly goal for us to concede but it didn't matter in the end. Likewise, a fairly dull second half but the result was academic once we got the third. I know I moaned about Sabatini being benched but apparently he was carrying a knock so that's fair enough. Would still have him in my midfield every week though.

Good result and hopefully, like last season, we can take a bit of momentum from winning at Forfar and batter Cove next week. 

Edited by airdrieman

1 hour ago, Eric the half a b said:

Can't ask for more than that ... well perhaps a Forfar bridie 👍♦️

Good result and loads of chances in 2nd half, even if Forfar also played with a bit more effort and possession. Some good blocks by Hutton after replacing an injured (?) Currie. Could have done better on the counter attacks towards end but good saves by Mccallum. Stalwart efforts by all of them. Worth watching but ,maybe £12.00 for no commentary is a bit much, but at least the tracking was good. Lovely Angus sunset. Top 4 now is the predicted ones?  Will relish highlights tomorrow. Well done

1 minute ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Good result and loads of chances in 2nd half, even if Forfar also played with a bit more effort and possession. Some good blocks by Hutton after replacing an injured (?) Currie. Could have done better on the counter attacks towards end but good saves by Mccallum. Stalwart efforts by all of them. Worth watching but ,maybe £12.00 for no commentary is a bit much, but at least the tracking was good. Lovely Angus sunset. Top 4 now is the predicted ones?  Will relish highlights tomorrow. Well done

Good game and 3 points set up nicely for next week ♦️

Thought McKay actually had a very good game so the manager maybe has a difficult decision to make over which two of him, Kerr and Sabatini play regularly. The front 4 were excellent in the first half and shifted position throughout which will make it difficult for defences to deal with them. I'm really starting to like Connell as well. It seems early predictions about the team have been quite wrong, we seem to be more than capable of playing free-flowing attacking football but our defence doesn't look as solid as many thought.

25 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Thought McKay actually had a very good game so the manager maybe has a difficult decision to make over which two of him, Kerr and Sabatini play regularly. The front 4 were excellent in the first half and shifted position throughout which will make it difficult for defences to deal with them. I'm really starting to like Connell as well. It seems early predictions about the team have been quite wrong, we seem to be more than capable of playing free-flowing attacking football but our defence doesn't look as solid as many thought.

That's pretty much what I said to my disinterested good lady with about 20 minutes to go. It was an excellent attacking set up rather than what I thought it looked like.  One game at a time again.

17 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

That's pretty much what I said to my disinterested good lady with about 20 minutes to go. It was an excellent attacking set up rather than what I thought it looked like.  One game at a time 

Sometimes partners just don't get the enthusiasm for the diamonds. Your right game to game looking forward to next week's also be a good marker for the season ♦️

Just now, Diamond Oracle said:

Buzzing for next weeks game now. A win gets us right in the mix at the top!

A win would take us above Cove which seems bizarre when we’re always one defeat away from people calling for Murray to be sacked. It’s really important that we do get a result though. I think this season will be a bit like last season with the top three or four teams being pretty close to each other. If we play like we did in the first half today then we’re more than a match for anyone in this league, it’s just a case of waiting to see which Airdrie turn up.

4 hours ago, Mr November said:

A win would take us above Cove which seems bizarre when we’re always one defeat away from people calling for Murray to be sacked. It’s really important that we do get a result though. I think this season will be a bit like last season with the top three or four teams being pretty close to each other. If we play like we did in the first half today then we’re more than a match for anyone in this league, it’s just a case of waiting to see which Airdrie turn up.

Pretty pleased with today overall. As has been mentioned before I think we are pretty comfortable when we take the lead in games you can see our confidence growing. Think the second half Forfar came out a bit more and we took the foot off the gas but we showed resilience to see it out professionally.

Thought Murray had the team and tactics spot on. Maybe dropping one of the more defensive midfielders (McKay, Kerr or Sabatini) for an attacker is the way forward.

Undoubtably, the next few weeks or so will define the way our season will go but if we turn up like we turned up in the first half today we are more than capable of beating any side in this league.

10 hours ago, Mr November said:

I'm ambivalent about Murray, but you've hit on the issue with him - we have no consistency. I said it a few times last season, we had one 5 game winning streak but apart from that we only won 2 in a row twice. We are capable of beating most teams and that's what makes it frustrating.

Having said that, we've definitely improved defensively under him and it will only take a tweak or two to get that balance between goals and clean sheets. 

Here's hoping we get it right next week.

10 hours ago, Mr November said:

With Falkirk playing in the Cup next weekend a win against Cove would put us top of the league. 

I'll happily eat my words about team selection every week. I done the same against Clyde .

Very happy with that and incredible that if we'd have justified our "favourites" title against Dumbarton, we'd be top without setting the heather on fire.

Said it before, this division is screaming out for someone to grab it by the neck and lead the way, I reckon if one team does that, it'll be easy enough for them, everyone else will cut each others throats.

Agree with a lot of what has been said. Beat Cove next week and the Falkirk result goes our way on Tuesday and we could be sitting top of the league. Which is remarkable given some of our performances and results so far. On the flip side, when we turn it on we're excellent, solid at the back (aside from a few hiccups recently) and dare I say it even exciting to watch?! While I don't want to ham it up too much as the sides we've beaten in the league (Peterhead, Clyde and Forfar) will all be in the bottom half this season I do think at our best we can beat or at the very least takes points off every side in this division. Beating the 'poorer' sides isn't something to be sniffed at either since it's generally something we've struggled with in recent years. When we're off though we're completely and utterly inept. The performances in the Dumbarton and the recent League Cup games were pitiful. Thistle away was a missed opportunity also. That inconsistency (especially at home) and our inability to come back from losing positions are still big concerns for me. Next week will be a good marker for us. 

Can't argue with the performance yesterday. If/when Sabatini is fully fit I'd still have him in my midfield every week though. 

46 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Agree with a lot of what has been said. Beat Cove next week and the Falkirk result goes our way on Tuesday and we could be sitting top of the league. Which is remarkable given some of our performances and results so far. On the flip side, when we turn it on we're excellent, solid at the back (aside from a few hiccups recently) and dare I say it even exciting to watch?! While I don't want to ham it up too much as the sides we've beaten in the league (Peterhead, Clyde and Forfar) will all be in the bottom half this season I do think at our best we can beat or at the very least takes points off every side in this division. Beating the 'poorer' sides isn't something to be sniffed at either since it's generally something we've struggled with in recent years. When we're off though we're completely and utterly inept. The performances in the Dumbarton and the recent League Cup games were pitiful. Thistle away was a missed opportunity also. That inconsistency (especially at home) and our inability to come back from losing positions are still big concerns for me. Next week will be a good marker for us. 

Can't argue with the performance yesterday. If/when Sabatini is fully fit I'd still have him in my midfield every week though. 

Apparently sabatini Kerr and Gallagher all weren’t fully fit