The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

28 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Who's going to take one for the team and spend £15 to watch the Livi game on Saturday to let us all know how it goes?

Wouldn't give Livi the' Steam of my P@sh' or 'A fright if I was a ghost'

So I won't be tuning in to their excessively priced crap

Edited by Rio 2

29 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Who's going to take one for the team and spend £15 to watch the Livi game on Saturday to let us all know how it goes?

I was already almost definitely not going to buy it as Almondvale, even on a laptop screen is a grim place, I don't like Livi in general and they always fucking beat us. No chance now though. 

Edited by airdrieman

5 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

It does make you wonder, and I don't know his personal circumstances that may have swayed his decision, but maybe we should have pushed the boat out to sign Andy Ryan? A natural goalscorer, a striker who can create and covert chances for himself (and who's a good footballer too) and a striker who turns draws and defeats into wins. No harm to them but the combined wages of Burke, Moore, Walker, Hughes and Pyott would surely have been better spent on Ryan or A.N. other striker (plus the offer they'd have received obviously) considering none of them are likely to play for the club this season or any time soon. 

Said this before we didn’t need to sign foreign randoms or guys that haven’t played professionally before we needed experienced players even just 2 or 3

33 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Going back to last season, we could have signed Blair Henderson but SM was advised by our physio he was high risk due to persistent injury...  So we signed Ally Roy instead..

He would make the difference now, a striker would have scored at least a couple the night, 

24 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

It does make you wonder, and I don't know his personal circumstances that may have swayed his decision, but maybe we should have pushed the boat out to sign Andy Ryan? A natural goalscorer, a striker who can create and covert chances for himself (and who's a good footballer too) and a striker who turns draws and defeats into wins. No harm to them but the combined wages of Burke, Moore, Walker, Hughes and Pyott would surely have been better spent on Ryan or A.N. other striker (plus the offer they'd have received obviously) considering none of them are likely to play for the club this season or any time soon. 

Totally agree. Sick of myself still going on about Chucky but how we never could have just gave him what we wanted or matched Stirling for a striker who has that extra bit of quality who can get us a goal from pretty much no where (who openly wanted to play for us). It’s there for everyone to see what a difference he would make. I never watched tonight due to work but I’m getting Dumbarton vibes from these comments and that’s extremely disappointing after Saturday. I think we have a solid enough squad o all round but we are lacking that bit of extra bit of quality that can come up with something when we need it. If someone offered me Callum smith and Chucky over the attackers we have now I’d take it every time.

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Definitely would have been  better  signing Ryan 

Fourth tier defeat in the cup,at least it wasn't highland league this year.that's where my bar has been set since forever.

Looks like we're gonna be 'that hot/cold team' this year.

Dear Mr Murray,

Fxck off with that kind of season,I don't have it in me for another one,you're making a cxnt of my accumulaters.

Just be competent,set the players you have correctly up and win the fxcker,it's not that difficult with the team at your disposal.

Fxckin Airdrie man.

Ragin. Again.

6 hours ago, Daddy Cheeze said:

Fourth tier defeat in the cup,at least it wasn't highland league this year.that's where my bar has been set since forever.

Looks like we're gonna be 'that hot/cold team' this year.

Dear Mr Murray,

Fxck off with that kind of season,I don't have it in me for another one,you're making a cxnt of my accumulaters.

Just be competent,set the players you have correctly up and win the fxcker,it's not that difficult with the team at your disposal.

Fxckin Airdrie man.

Ragin. Again.

Aye, more cold up to now, 

Have posted many times about the lack of 'natural strikers' in the side so last night's result was not unexpexted. When we meet Cove in a couple of weeks we will probably see a re-run of last nights game except for the fact that they have about three guys capable of banging in the goals. I'm afraid our front players are happy to get the ball 'on target' and hope for the best so last night was a great exapmple of that. As for Andy Ryan, I'm sure there were reasons other than money as to why he didn't come back to us. I'm also sure that it is not lost on Ian Murray and despite his 'defend from the front' poilicy he must be crying out for that 'cutting edge' that he has been going on about for two seasons!

I actually fancy us to win most games we score first in. We're a fairly decent counter-attacking team and can carve open teams who have to play more open as a result of being behind  (or in Clyde's case due to having a bogging defence). Our severe problem is that if we concede first, teams will sit deep, break up the play and soak up all our pressure and we have absolutely no response to it. Edinburgh City did it well last night but the sad thing is that they didn't have to. We were pitifully easy to defend against. 

Stokes has admitted himself that he's not a striker but he struggled upfront last night and got absolutely nothing out of Balatoni the whole game. He looked better when he was able to come deeper and try and create something but even then last night's performance and result isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of his abilities as a #10 either. 

Our defence looked really unsettled and harried at the start of the game which is ultimately when and how we conceded. Not convinced by Mbayo at all. Didn't look particularly solid when defending and some of his passing, when under no real pressure, was awful. His through ball to the City forward was a lucky escape. I know we're in the process of converting Kerr into a deep lying midfielder, and I think there's some merit to that, but he's still a better option at the back than Mbayo. 

The substitutions were uninspired though that was perhaps down to a lack of game-changing options off the bench more than anything.  Crighton upfront near the end was real desperation stuff though. 

Gallagher and Roy both being out is unfortunate and when they're back the striker situation won't look anywhere near as bad. But I'm not convinced having either of them in would have changed the result if I'm honest. Gallagher has a knack for being in the right place at the right time and that's why a lot of his goals are scrappy and from close range, he knows where to be to give him those easier chances. Might have been different if Gallagher was on but I don't recall any of those types of chances in the game and it's rare he scores goals from outside the 6 yard box (overhead kick vs Clyde and second goal vs Bohemians the only ones I can recall). As for Ally Roy, yes he started well in the friendlies but he seems reliant on using his pace to make runs in behind the defence. Could be lethal on the counter but against teams that camp deep in their own half I'm not sure what he'd achieve. Really poor yesterday, we dominated possession and there were some chances created, but we're maybe too reliant on the ball dropping to someone for a tap in which isn't always going to happen. Robert had two particularly good chances that he should have done a lot better with, but maybe he'll learn from it. I'm just glad it wasn't a league game. Not really caring about Saturday's game anymore and I doubt I'll pay the extravagant £15 fee that Livi are asking for. If we had an outside chance of reaching the next round I'd probably pay it, or if it was £10 like every other league cup game I'd probably pay it even in our current scenario. But £15 is a bit steep for a game that is now a glorified friendly for us.

We were far too slow. We started the game like we just had to turn up and the game was won.

There was so little running off the ball. Players passing the ball and just standing in the same position until it came back to them. Nobody really looking to drive us on.

Edinburgh never gave us a minute, were constantly pressing. But when they had possession we would back off. In our earlier games where we weren’t getting the passing going the one thing we did well was press the opposition. That was non-existent last night.

Stokes has some nice touches however he isn’t aggressive enough to play up front. You see the difference late on when Carrick up top. He shows a bit of urgency and puts himself about, even if at times it’s just drawing fouls from the opposition. He tries to drive us on.

I felt Robert has to improved on the physical side in the last couple of games. However his shooting last night was way off, at least 5 chances and only really worked the goalkeeper once. I think he needs a goal to settle down.

I’ve been quite critical of Thomson’s final ball however I felt when he came on last night he done alright, got at their full back and put in a couple of good balls.

Last night felt like the same problem Airdrie have always had against lower league teams in the cup. We start slow then late on start panicking trying to up the game. We don’t start with enough urgency.

1 minute ago, Tory Boy said:

We were far too slow. We started the game like we just had to turn up and the game was won.

There was so little running off the ball. Players passing the ball and just standing in the same position until it came back to them. Nobody really looking to drive us on.

Edinburgh never gave us a minute, were constantly pressing. But when they had possession we would back off. In our earlier games where we weren’t getting the passing going the one thing we did well was press the opposition. That was non-existent last night.

Stokes has some nice touches however he isn’t aggressive enough to play up front. You see the difference late on when Carrick up top. He shows a bit of urgency and puts himself about, even if at times it’s just drawing fouls from the opposition. He tries to drive us on.

I felt Robert has to improved on the physical side in the last couple of games. However his shooting last night was way off, at least 5 chances and only really worked the goalkeeper once. I think he needs a goal to settle down.

I’ve been quite critical of Thomson’s final ball however I felt when he came on last night he done alright, got at their full back and put in a couple of good balls.

Last night felt like the same problem Airdrie have always had against lower league teams in the cup. We start slow then late on start panicking trying to up the game. We don’t start with enough urgency.

A surprise result even for us Edinburgher's.  Best wishes to Airdrie and the manager for the rest of the season (a good Hibby). 

Never knew there were Tories in Airdrie?  But makes the victory even more enjoyable when I see your avatar. 50Th Anniversary Happy Dance GIF by Sesame Street 

I'm still not convinced by Thomson and I think he's best used as a sub since tired opponents seem to struggle against his running, but I'd have to agree that his end product has looked a lot better this season. Grabbed an assist on Saturday, scored a cracker against Stenny, and had decent long range efforts against Thsitle and also last night. Last season every shot he hit was weak and straight at the keeper. As I said I'm still not totally convinced by him but it does seem to be an area of his game that he's improved on.

Not me. When a club blocks you on Twitter for suggesting years ago they were being run by drug dealers and other crooks then you tend not to want to give them any money.

f**k those c***s.