The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

On 08/11/2020 at 20:37, Mr November said:

Yeah, the Hearts game was the midweek before the 5-0 Morton game. Looking at the Hearts team it’s actually quite strong; Christophe Berra, Lee Wallace, Marius Zaliukas, Michael Stewart and Saulius Mikoliunas among others. Despite those international players they couldn’t beat a team that featured David Nixon, Michael Brown, Darren Smith and Kevin McDonald. It all went downhill when Kenny Black was handed a three year contract after the Challenge Cup final.

Was that not when Dundee looked like offering him a contract? He could have dragged them down as well and maybe we would have done better. Ach well.

5 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

At the time I thought Black was a disgrace. Looking back now, he probably had the lowest budget in the league. I feel bad that at times Sandy, Kenny and Jimmy all got dogs abuse when They probably just matched performance in the league with our budget?

He’s the highest paid manager we’ve ever had he was the 5th highest paid manager in Scotland at the time,Ballantyne offered him a new deal to warrant off interest from Dundee or for Dundee to pay to speak to kenny but as he was offering kenny a new deal he was cutting budgets and taking away some of kennys very very very small budget and that’s when the "managed decline” started to happen 

Daft as well, because Kenny Black was always the 'back-up' or 'outsider' option at that time if we couldn't tempt Craig Brown/Billy Davies or an out of work Jocky Scott and then we'd wanted to speak to Michael O'Neil at the time as well as Kenny Black.

He fairly whored himself out to us at the time which I can only assume was to force Ballantyne's hand.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/exclusive-extended-kenny-black-interview-2834161

14 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

He’s the highest paid manager we’ve ever had he was the 5th highest paid manager in Scotland at the time,Ballantyne offered him a new deal to warrant off interest from Dundee or for Dundee to pay to speak to kenny but as he was offering kenny a new deal he was cutting budgets and taking away some of kennys very very very small budget and that’s when the "managed decline” started to happen 

5th highest in Scotland, first time I've heard that, or was that outwith Premier league, 

11 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Hope tomorrow night we use 4231 and play with proper attacking intent again. Could be a chance for other players like Stokes, Ritchie or Mbayo to get a run out but I wouldn't want to make too many changes.

Or maybe give Robert another game, 

Not overly bothered about tonight as it's pretty unlikely we'll go through anyways, would like to see some changes and give other guys a run out. I'd go

Hutton

McDonald Fordyce Mbayo McCann

Sabatini Ritchie

O'Riley Stokes Robert

Gallagher

7 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

I'd try and stick to as close to the team that played on Saturday as possible, try and get a bit of momentum. Only change to the starting lineup would be Stokes for Gallagher as he is apparently struggling with a injury so not worth risking him.

Personally i'd rather play a stornger team on saturday against livi, i think tonights a perfect chance to rotate a bit. Just my opinion! Can see why you'd rather keep the same starting 11 from sat.

3 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

I'd try and stick to as close to the team that played on Saturday as possible, try and get a bit of momentum. Only change to the starting lineup would be Stokes for Gallagher as he is apparently struggling with a injury so not worth risking him.

I would agree with that. Murray doesn't need much temptation to make wholesale changes so I'd rather our strongest team possible (Saturday's judging by the evidence so far) gets as many minutes together as possible. Roy is still out and with Gallagher said to be carrying a knock would give Stokes a run out like you say. I think he's said previously he is not or does not want to play as a striker so I'd put Carrick back out wide left, play Stokes in the #10 role and have Connell up front. Or keep Carrick as a #10, play Stokes wide left and Connell up front. A good chance for Stokes to stake a claim for more game time. If Currie is available I assume he'll be back in the team as well. 

Edited by airdrieman

Same lineup as Saturday with Stokes and Mbayo in for Gallagher and Crighton, makes sense to me. Obviously with Gallagher out there was an open space on the bench and I have to say I'm a bit surprised to see Hughes fill it over Pyott. Pyott is 21 (older than MacDonald, McCann, O'Reilly, Ritchie, Robert, and Connell) and seemingly nowhere near the starting lineup. Surely at some point you've got to question why he was kept on if he's behind even 17 year old James Hughes in the pecking order.

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

I would agree with that. Murray doesn't need much temptation to make wholesale changes so I'd rather our strongest team possible (Saturday's judging by the evidence so far) gets as many minutes together as possible. Roy is still out and with Gallagher said to be carrying a knock would give Stokes a run out like you say. I think he's said previously he is not or does not want to play as a striker so I'd put Carrick back out wide left, play Stokes in the #10 role and have Connell up front. Or keep Carrick as a #10, play Stokes wide left and Connell up front. A good chance for Stokes to stake a claim for more game time. If Currie is available I assume he'll be back in the team as well. 

Glad to see Hutton in goals, deserves a continued run,  is Currie an upgrade...

30 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Same lineup as Saturday with Stokes and Mbayo in for Gallagher and Crighton, makes sense to me. Obviously with Gallagher out there was an open space on the bench and I have to say I'm a bit surprised to see Hughes fill it over Pyott. Pyott is 21 (older than MacDonald, McCann, O'Reilly, Ritchie, Robert, and Connell) and seemingly nowhere near the starting lineup. Surely at some point you've got to question why he was kept on if he's behind even 17 year old James Hughes in the pecking order.

Is young Pyott not recovering from a cruciate