The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

34 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

If not then he should speak up or walk away because if he didn't, where are his values? Any credibility goes out the window if he's not in charge of the first team or doesn't have any input in signings. 

The situation current situation is beginning  to reek of the time Wolecki Black came in to help Bollan,     Millar last season was a hands off Director of Football and it seemed to be working,  fast forward to this season he seems to have signed a number of left field players, that the manager clearly doesn't rate,   helps out at training and is now in the dug out on game day...... 

it didn't work with Wolecki Black and Bollan  and I doubt it will work with Millar and Murray....

4 minutes ago, Passionate said:

The situation current situation is beginning  to reek of the time Wolecki Black came in to help Bollan,     Millar last season was a hands off Director of Football and it seemed to be working,  fast forward to this season he seems to have signed a number of left field players, that the manager clearly doesn't rate,   helps out at training and is now in the dug out on game day...... 

it didn't work with Wolecki Black and Bollan  and I doubt it will work with Millar and Murray....

Can it get anymore ridiculous if that's the case.  

Honestly baffles me how Millar (in my opinion was our best player last season) doesn’t get a new contract but a diddy like McKay does? All he offers is his throw-ins and we’ve only scored once from it from what i remember. If Connell can take these throw-ins, McKay in reality doesn’t have a place on the park. Starting today with only 1 changed player from last seasons starting 11 is crazy aswell, can only assume Murray sees something in training that we don’t. Can only hope McKay and Thomson get dropped for next week and Sab and O’Reilly come in in their place. Was surprised at Sean today aswell, arguably the best CB in the league on his day seemed completely lost. Can only hope for wholesale changes on their performance next Saturday.

30 minutes ago, airdrie_3 said:

Honestly baffles me how Millar (in my opinion was our best player last season) doesn’t get a new contract but a diddy like McKay does? All he offers is his throw-ins and we’ve only scored once from it from what i remember. If Connell can take these throw-ins, McKay in reality doesn’t have a place on the park. Starting today with only 1 changed player from last seasons starting 11 is crazy aswell, can only assume Murray sees something in training that we don’t. Can only hope McKay and Thomson get dropped for next week and Sab and O’Reilly come in in their place. Was surprised at Sean today aswell, arguably the best CB in the league on his day seemed completely lost. Can only hope for wholesale changes on their performance next Saturday.

Because rumour has it that his family are involved with Airdrie.....Not saying it’s true tho just heard it being mentioned a few times 

Was surprised at Sean today aswell, arguably the best CB in the league on his day seemed completely lost. Can only hope for wholesale changes on their performance next Saturday.

Don't want to be overly negative about a player I like and who undoubtedly has put in some excellent performances for us over the last couple of seasons and seems to be a great leader in the squad, but I don't think Crighton's arguably the best CB in the league at all and it's not at all out of character for him to make a bad mistake or two (he was also caught out of position for Thistle's equaliser last week). He was our best player at the start of last season but he had a shaky spell afterwards and eventually dropped out the team in favour of Kerr and we got steadier at the back. He's a good player and I like him but he's nowhere near as consistent as Fordyce.

I think today was our 9th home league defeat without scoring and 10th home league defeat overall under Ian Murray, which seems like quite a lot out of 30 home league games. Things like that are why I find him so frustrating, we’re obviously doing ok outside of that to still be finishing 3rd last season but we drop so many points due to poor team selections and a clear inability to break teams down. 

Don't want to be overly negative about a player I like and who undoubtedly has put in some excellent performances for us over the last couple of seasons and seems to be a great leader in the squad, but I don't think Crighton's arguably the best CB in the league at all and it's not at all out of character for him to make a bad mistake or two (he was also caught out of position for Thistle's equaliser last week). He was our best player at the start of last season but he had a shaky spell afterwards and eventually dropped out the team in favour of Kerr and we got steadier at the back. He's a good player and I like him but he's nowhere near as consistent as Fordyce.

Difficult to be overly critical of the defence as we have talked about before the same defence had the second least goals scored against them last year . Big Sean had a bit of nightmare today especially on the second goal but he’s far more often than not a solid defender. For me the concern lies solely attacking wise . I can’t see where the goals will come from. We are so toothless going forward . Slack passes, poor final balls and poor shots. Think the Dumbarton gk was praised for a couple of saves but off the top of my head I think the shots (maybe from Connall) were straight at him. We huffed and puffed but didn’t look like we knew how to cut Dumbarton open which is worrying as there will be much harder teams to break down than that. Even with their keeper being injured at the end I don’t think we’d have scored. Glad they are training tomorrow as today has been a big reality check anyone who thought we’d sail to the top 3 are wrong. I’m surprising myself saying this but I hope Ally Roy is back soon I think we need him.

Wouldn't blame the defence too much today, this happens when you press for an equalizer with nothing upfront. Ian Murray's philosophy has been to defend from the front hence McKay and Kerr in those positions. Real trouble is that leaves very little creativity in those areas coupled with a farly impotent front line who are not really composed in front of goal. We do have a good back line for this division but today was a wake up call for the games in front of us.

4 hours ago, Diamond72 said:

Dumbarton's striker Jamie Wilson will probably go on to have a fairly good season from what I seen today. I have always had the hope that Airdrie would bring in guys like him who have 'goals in them' as a priority, although it can be a risky.

We brought in Connell on loan and although it is early days we should probably have taken a punt on someone like Wilson having found the net 11 times in 23 games whilst in Australia, and 26 times in 56 appearances for Rothes in the Highland League, seems a better bet than we have at the moment.

Cove Rangers game will certainly give us an idea of how our season is going to pan out.

You boys were interested in taking a look at Jaime Wilson over the summer I believe. 

Don't know if it was ever anything more than "We'd like you to come along to pre-season" - but when we took him on trial I was told that ourselves, Airdrie and Elgin were all sniffing about him. Certainly based on today he looks like he could be a really useful player, but it's still early days for him - especially as he's a bit of an unknown for defenders. Hopefully he can keep it up over the next 20 odd games mind you, we've been lacking his sort of player since Bryan Prunty left.

Difficult to be overly critical of the defence as we have talked about before the same defence had the second least goals scored against them last year . Big Sean had a bit of nightmare today especially on the second goal but he’s far more often than not a solid defender. For me the concern lies solely attacking wise . I can’t see where the goals will come from. We are so toothless going forward . Slack passes, poor final balls and poor shots. Think the Dumbarton gk was praised for a couple of saves but off the top of my head I think the shots (maybe from Connall) were straight at him. We huffed and puffed but didn’t look like we knew how to cut Dumbarton open which is worrying as there will be much harder teams to break down than that. Even with their keeper being injured at the end I don’t think we’d have scored. Glad they are training tomorrow as today has been a big reality check anyone who thought we’d sail to the top 3 are wrong. I’m surprising myself saying this but I hope Ally Roy is back soon I think we need him.

Didn't want to come across as too critical. Like I said, I like Crighton and I agree he's usually solid. Creativity is definitely our main issue and the defence doesn't worry me much, I just think that Crighton is at times overrated by fans. I feel he's very solid in the air and can mark a big physical striker really well but whenever someone runs at him he struggles, either getting turned inside out as we saw with the second goal today, or backing off all the way into the box. He's decent at bringing the ball out of defence himself (and he's actually put in a couple of decent crosses this season) but his long balls generally end up nowhere. I feel like Fordyce is a much more well balanced defender who maybe doesn't excel in certain aspects of his game like Crighton does but generally does everything he needs to do fairly well.

11 hours ago, Diamond72 said:

Wouldn't blame the defence too much today, this happens when you press for an equalizer with nothing upfront. Ian Murray's philosophy has been to defend from the front hence McKay and Kerr in those positions. Real trouble is that leaves very little creativity in those areas coupled with a farly impotent front line who are not really composed in front of goal. We do have a good back line for this division but today was a wake up call for the games in front of us.

Back line fine with high balls, on the ground  is a different matter, watched every game and team not one bit better  than last season, only my opinion, Millar last season was as good as we have now, Roberts was a good player and good to bring on, got overlooked somehow, just another case of how our manager works, If  we had any other manager in this league we would have won yesterday, not one bit of improvement from our first friendly to now, managers team selection and subs sums him up, talking is one thing in end of match interviews being a manager is another, £12 for same tactics and poor show every week, I am for Airdrie every week and I am so disappointed with our performances, have no doubt others will have the answers, 

In so far as yesterday’s match is concerned taken on it's own I disagree with most posters. We dominated possession and had more shots on target than in any other game so far. The ball did not bounce favourably for us in their penalty area and we were hit by 2 breakaway goals (albeit defensive mistakes). On another day we would  have won.

However, on a broader front we have major issues. Firstly, who picks the players we sign.? If it is Murray he obviously doesn’t have an eye for a player. If it someone else, Murray will obviously not fancy some of them. 
Murray has 2 major problems. His grasp of tactics is fairly grim. An example from yesterday was substituting a forward who was playing well when we were 2 down.His second major problem is team selection. He seems to put the names in a hat and pull 11 out every week. I’ve lost count of the number of times I think we’ve a better team on the bench than on the park! It’s disgrace and he’s been like that since he came. 

However, there’s a problem in getting rid of him. It would cost the club money which they probably don’t have.

I’ve been an Airdrie fan all my life and am getting fed up with all these false dawns. I suspect others may be too. 

44 minutes ago, waysider said:

In so far as yesterday’s match is concerned taken on it's own I disagree with most posters. We dominated possession and had more shots on target than in any other game so far. The ball did not bounce favourably for us in their penalty area and we were hit by 2 breakaway goals (albeit defensive mistakes). On another day we would  have won.

However, on a broader front we have major issues. Firstly, who picks the players we sign.? If it is Murray he obviously doesn’t have an eye for a player. If it someone else, Murray will obviously not fancy some of them. 
Murray has 2 major problems. His grasp of tactics is fairly grim. An example from yesterday was substituting a forward who was playing well when we were 2 down.His second major problem is team selection. He seems to put the names in a hat and pull 11 out every week. I’ve lost count of the number of times I think we’ve a better team on the bench than on the park! It’s disgrace and he’s been like that since he came. 

However, there’s a problem in getting rid of him. It would cost the club money which they probably don’t have.

I’ve been an Airdrie fan all my life and am getting fed up with all these false dawns. I suspect others may be too. 

'The ball did not bounce favourably in the box' pretty much sums up my views. We do not have a forward line with a hint of composure and rely on a bit of luck. The last time I seen a bit of composure in the box it was from Stokes but unfortunately he did not merit a start. We did have possession and dominated for spells but unfortunately our side is set up to do exactly what Dumbarton did to us...well done Mr Duffy!

49 minutes ago, Diamond72 said:

'The ball did not bounce favourably in the box' pretty much sums up my views. We do not have a forward line with a hint of composure and rely on a bit of luck. The last time I seen a bit of composure in the box it was from Stokes but unfortunately he did not merit a start. We did have possession and dominated for spells but unfortunately our side is set up to do exactly what Dumbarton did to us...well done Mr Duffy!

You can put the kettle on for the same 8 players if fit who will start the keeper the back four the two centre half's we play in midfield and Thompson, now way may go on and win the league or make the play-offs but if Miller is as heavily involved with the team then he also has questions to answer as he has collected more signatures than an over zealous autograph hunter over this campaign and last season the  problem is they are ether not good enough or not defensive enough to get a game so basically we are same as we were last season so no surprise at results like yesterday.

I do not advocate for people loosing their job though it is time for the manager and the director of what ever he is re-evaluate the systems to ensure we at least we make the play-offs ♦️

2 hours ago, waysider said:

Aye 3games played and we are 6 points adrift if we are paying full time wages to some players results and performances suggest we make some changes,