The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

32 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Murray out. The guys had plenty of time and hasn't a fucking clue.

His tactics are shite, subs are shite, and clearly doesn't rate his own signings by leaving them on the bench. Brings 3 of them on once we are 2 nil down. 

The guy is a clown. We've been in this league long enough and he will keep us here. 

The difference a couple of weeks makes!! I'm with you though, I've never once really questioned Murray at all, giving him a lot of slack in the last few years but that's shocking tactics/selection imo. The subs aswell, absolute amateur hour and like last season it's looking like a tinkerman approach every game.

31 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Murray out. The guys had plenty of time and hasn't a fucking clue.

His tactics are shite, subs are shite, and clearly doesn't rate his own signings by leaving them on the bench. Brings 3 of them on once we are 2 nil down. 

The guy is a clown. We've been in this league long enough and he will keep us here. 

Finally, what I have been saying all along  , they played to a game plan, we  didnt have  one, and finally the only one that looked like scoring Murray takes him off , 

1 minute ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Currie

MacDonald Crighton Fordyce McCann

McKay Sabatini

O'Reilly Carrick Robert

Connell

Anything but that lineup next week and I'll be very disappointed

Is it a surprise really?? Same old hard to beat as last year obviously the management team are not learning it will be another difficult league hang on in there till the final third then push on interview ♦️

Scunnered with that today. Not one player with pass marks. Dodgy at the back and toothless going forward. As I said at the start of the season I’d take 4th place but if that’s what we are in for we will be lucky to get that. Cove with 3 wins from 3 they’ll end up streets ahead of us.

Big Nat would get a game in that midfield and nice to see Chucky scoring today also.

Should’ve just let the game get called off...

That was a pathetic performance and result. And sadly predictable. Was obvious all of last season and the games so far this season that we desperately need a better final ball and more quality going forward. But yet Murray still does nothing about it. I've had more time for Murray than most but it's hard to defend him when it's the same problems every week - lack of quality going forward, poor final ball, a different (and strange) team selection every week, no plan B, haphazard/kamikaze substitutes and playing percentage football which doesn't work. We weren't even difficult to beat today. Poor stuff all round. Credit to Dumbarton though.They took their goals well, defended solidly and saw the game out as they needed to. Once again, we are really going to struggle to break teams down if/when we concede first. Not good enough. 

Edited by airdrieman

That was a great example of all of our common problems under Murray. Strange team selection, struggling to break teams down and poor home form. 

I’ve not been as worried as some about other attacking options given how well the defence played last season but that’s two weeks in a row they’ve been caught out by great unmarked runs. MacDonald and McCann have done ok going forward this season but I don’t think either of them have looked as strong defensively as they did last season. I don’t think I’d change the back four, they’re still our best options, but they do need to improve.

A midfield two of Kerr and McKay is never going to work in a game where you expect to have more of the ball, a real lack of creativity there. Dropping Sabatini ahead of those two was a baffling decision. Kerr played well in the cup games but he’s been poor in the league, particularly the last two games, and McKay has his uses but hasn’t really shown much throughout his time to make him the guaranteed starter that he seems to be. 

Thomson works hard and always puts in a good shift but his lack of a final ball is a big problem. I’m not fully convinced on O’Reilly yet but I’d definitely start him ahead of Thomson next week. Carrick is one of our best players and I’d have him in the team every week so no real issues with his selection. I thought Robert was good when he came on today so I’d be keen to go with him alongside Carrick and O’Reilly next week. Stokes hasn’t had too many opportunities so far but I don’t think he’s done too much when he has played. 

I’m a big fan of Calum Gallagher but he hasn’t really performed at all this season. Who would have thought we’d be saying that we really miss Ally Roy three games into the season! Connell looked decent today and caused some problems but I felt most of his good play so far has came down the channels or off the back of long throws. Early days but I’m not convinced he’s a natural goalscorer, I hope I’m proved wrong though. I’d probably still go with Gallagher next week but I’m starting to lose patience with him, although he’s not helped by the lack of good service. 

Ultimately, while some players haven’t performed well today/this season, a lot of these issues lie with Ian Murray. I’m not fully in the Murray out group, I made a post the other day saying that we have improved under him and while I do like him he is frustrating, and today was a prime example of why he can be so frustrating. When our home form was poor at the start of last season I thought he had to drastically improve things, which he did with our great run around October/November. I don’t think things are as bad now as they were then but it’s still the same issues and we really need to pick up wins in our next couple of games, which are definitely winnable, if we want to be challenging for promotion.

Just now, Jack Reed said:

Finally, what I have been saying all along  , they played to a game plan, we  didnt have  one, and finally the only one that looked like scoring Murray takes him off , 

Right who is the problem here,   Murray plays to a defensive style, murder to watch , can get results if We score first and hold on, we were top of the league mid December last year, improved the squad Ryan signing and we shat the bed......  We had to improve the midfield and creative options signed a raft of inexperienced unknown players who met that remit....  Robert, ORei!ly, Sabatini, Stokes.... Clearly these have been signed by the Director of Football and the Board as Murray stipulates in his interviews.... 

Murray clearly does not rate the players handed to him,   in my opinion the manager must sign the players he wants,  not given potential talent that seems to be players that we have been convinced to sign over a couple of dvds..

In saying that,  we just got rode off a team that was put together last minute and would probably bite your hand off for 8th place....

Looks to me we have deeper rooted problems in the footballing side and needs sorted...

10 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

Scunnered with that today. Not one player with pass marks. Dodgy at the back and toothless going forward. As I said at the start of the season I’d take 4th place but if that’s what we are in for we will be lucky to get that. Cove with 3 wins from 3 they’ll end up streets ahead of us.

Big Nat would get a game in that midfield and nice to see Chucky scoring today also.

Should’ve just let the game get called off...

Why did we not break the bank to get Ryan....   Remember we signed 5 under 20s who will have no chance of getting  anywhere near the team with no reserve football either,crazy signing policy...

2 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

That was a pathetic performance and result. And sadly predictable. Was obvious all of last season and the games so far this season that we desperately need a better final ball and more quality going forward. But yet Murray still does nothing about it. I've had more time for Murray than most but it's hard to defend him when it's the same problems every week - lack of quality going forward, poor final ball, a different (and strange) team selection every week, no plan B, haphazard/kamikaze substitutes and playing percentage football which doesn't even work. We weren't even difficult to beat today. Poor stuff all round. Credit to Dumbarton though.They took their goals well, defended solidly and saw the game out as they needed to. Once again, we are really going to struggle to break teams down if/when we concede first. Not good enough. 

For some unknown reason we have any creativity on the bench if we bring a midfielder in we drop one to the bench to accommodate as many defensive players minded players to make us hard to beat...... is it any wonder we are none to creative at times last year Cameron was brought in who will it be this time 3 games in ......hard to beat I think not ♦️

4 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Why did we not break the bank to get Ryan....   Remember we signed 5 under 20s who will have no chance of getting  anywhere near the team with no reserve football either,crazy signing policy...

Yeah this is something I’ve mentioned a few times but I’ve still got no idea why we signed five guys who will clearly never play. We’re allowed to name nine subs now, other teams in the league do it, yet we’ve only names seven in all three league games. If these guys aren’t good enough to fill a space on the bench why did we sign them? To be fair to Pyott he seems to be injured and obviously Moore and Burke are away out on loan (again, why even sign them this season just to loan them out?) but Walker and Hughes barely played in pre-season and now can’t even get an empty spot on the bench.

That was a great example of all of our common problems under Murray. Strange team selection, struggling to break teams down and poor home form. 
I’ve not been as worried as some about other attacking options given how well the defence played last season but that’s two weeks in a row they’ve been caught out by great unmarked runs. MacDonald and McCann have done ok going forward this season but I don’t think either of them have looked as strong defensively as they did last season. I don’t think I’d change the back four, they’re still our best options, but they do need to improve.
A midfield two of Kerr and McKay is never going to work in a game where you expect to have more of the ball, a real lack of creativity there. Dropping Sabatini ahead of those two was a baffling decision. Kerr played well in the cup games but he’s been poor in the league, particularly the last two games, and McKay has his uses but hasn’t really shown much throughout his time to make him the guaranteed starter that he seems to be. 
Thomson works hard and always puts in a good shift but his lack of a final ball is a big problem. I’m not fully convinced on O’Reilly yet but I’d definitely start him ahead of Thomson next week. Carrick is one of our best players and I’d have him in the team every week so no real issues with his selection. I thought Robert was good when he came on today so I’d be keen to go with him alongside Carrick and O’Reilly next week. Stokes hasn’t had too many opportunities so far but I don’t think he’s done too much when he has played. 
I’m a big fan of Calum Gallagher but he hasn’t really performed at all this season. Who would have thought we’d be saying that we really miss Ally Roy three games into the season! Connell looked decent today and caused some problems but I felt most of his good play so far has came down the channels or off the back of long throws. Early days but I’m not convinced he’s a natural goalscorer, I hope I’m proved wrong though. I’d probably still go with Gallagher next week but I’m starting to lose patience with him, although he’s not helped by the lack of good service. 
Ultimately, while some players haven’t performed well today/this season, a lot of these issues lie with Ian Murray. I’m not fully in the Murray out group, I made a post the other day saying that we have improved under him and while I do like him he is frustrating, and today was a prime example of why he can be so frustrating. When our home form was poor at the start of last season I thought he had to drastically improve things, which he did with our great run around October/November. I don’t think things are as bad now as they were then but it’s still the same issues and we really need to pick up wins in our next couple of games, which are definitely winnable, if we want to be challenging for promotion.

Agree with pretty much everything said here, although I'd say Gallagher had a very good game against Peterhead. Baffling to see Sabatini dropped and I definitely think it's time to give Robert and O'Reilly a start. Agree that Stokes hasn't looked great but I suppose he hasn't had a real chance yet (I'm also not sure of his best position as he's played as a deep midfielder, attacking midfielder and striker for us already)

I've never been a "sack the manager" type supporter, but the problem im having is trying to find a single legitimate reason to continue to think that Murray is the right man for this job. He's been backed financially at every turn and he seems to have a criminal lack of tactical nous for such a "highly rated" manager. I got pelters after the second Albion rovers friendly for saying that I was sick to death of his tinkerman ways. Yet here we are three games into the season and nothing changes. I can accept we are a third rate team nowadays and league one is our level. These clowns that seem to think we should still be mixing it up at the top of the second tier need to reassess their opinions. I can accept that we can't be fully full time. I can accept we have a manager who plays dour football. What I can't and won't accept is that tactical decisions are made out of seemingly misguided stubbornness rather than for the actual betterment of the team. He flogs dead horses and is clearly as stubborn as hell. The sad reality is we are going to do nothing again this season with Murray at the helm. That's already clear. Therefore, it's time for him to go.

Edited by cb_diamond