The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I see hearts are wanting to loan out harry cochrane, wouldn't mind another centre mid in to give kerr mckay and sabatini competition. Feel that's our weakest position at the moment, cochrane had good experience at the top level considering his age.

I see hearts are wanting to loan out harry cochrane, wouldn't mind another centre mid in to give kerr mckay and sabatini competition. Feel that's our weakest position at the moment, cochrane had good experience at the top level considering his age.

Reckon that would be a fantastic signing but I can't see him dropping down to League One if I'm honest. Hearts will want him at the highest level he can get regular game time at and there should be plenty of Championship sides able to give him game time or even one of the more lowly Premiership sides like Hamilton that probably have a worse squad than Hearts.

On 26/10/2020 at 20:14, Elgindiamond said:

I was at that game. We were behind the goals to the left of the old main stand - where the Thistle support sit now {when they get in}.  Davie Mcwilliams in goal for us , I think ,and we couldn't see further than the half way line in the second half. We hear shouts (our players) and the keeper came back into his box and told us we'd scored!

Were you at that one Chapelhal Chap?

Happy memories of Firhill  - especially the Spring Cup Final.

Been away for a few days and lacked P/B link but I can't remember if I was at that game but given how few I have missed, I will claim it. 

14 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Reckon that would be a fantastic signing but I can't see him dropping down to League One if I'm honest. Hearts will want him at the highest level he can get regular game time at and there should be plenty of Championship sides able to give him game time or even one of the more lowly Premiership sides like Hamilton that probably have a worse squad than Hearts.

Looks like he's joining Montrose. 

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

Aye thats montrose got cochrane and mochrie on loan both of who are pretty highly rated.

Good bit of business, thought we had a chance after playing them, we will be looking for someone from Egypt or Turkey someone putting themself in shop window 🤣🤣

19 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Good bit of business, thought we had a chance after playing them, we will be looking for someone from Egypt or Turkey someone putting themself in shop window 🤣🤣

Who will proceed to sit on the bench behind last seasons squad making everyone wonder why they were recruited.

Edited by G_H

28 minutes ago, G_H said:

Who will proceed to sit on the bench behind last seasons squad making everyone wonder why they were recruited.

To be fair, how many times did we look at the bench last year and decry a lack of options? Having a bench that can change a game could be huge. 

Proper competition for places and players that can come in for injuries and suspensions; this is vital and last season we didn't have as good a bench as we might have liked. 

Besides, Ritchie and Robert have never played first team football before. They were never going to hit the ground running, even if we'd had a full pre-season. So we maybe need to give it time. 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

To be fair, how many times did we look at the bench last year and decry a lack of options? Having a bench that can change a game could be huge. 

Proper competition for places and players that can come in for injuries and suspensions; this is vital and last season we didn't have as good a bench as we might have liked. 

Besides, Ritchie and Robert have never played first team football before. They were never going to hit the ground running, even if we'd had a full pre-season. So we maybe need to give it time. 

I'm of the "if they're good enough they're old enough" school of thought. 

If they aren't good enough for the first team then why bring them in? Strength in depth is of limited value if the strength isn't sufficient to win games, and given that It's a short season, time is a luxury that no team can afford if you don't want to be playing in league 1 next season.

1 hour ago, G_H said:

I'm of the "if they're good enough they're old enough" school of thought. 

If they aren't good enough for the first team then why bring them in? Strength in depth is of limited value if the strength isn't sufficient to win games, and given that It's a short season, time is a luxury that no team can afford if you don't want to be playing in league 1 next season.

Seems a waste of time energy and money if they sign a one year deal and are not good enough to start also why sign a certain type of player when they may not suit your style of play. Would be better to sign 3 or 4 experienced players than 8 or 9 who may not feature to often. 

Don't understand that starting XI at all. Our problem hasn't been playing only one upfront. Our problem has been we've not had enough quality on the ball to create chances that will lead to goals. Yet with the exception of Carrick all of our ostensibly best 'ball players' are on the bench. Where's the final ball coming from in that team? Thomson can't cross, McKay has his uses but isn't a creative type and our best player at taking the ball out from defence into midfield is on the bench (Sabatini). Robert, Stokes and O'Reilly have all barely had a sniff so far. Despite ostensibly being our best/most creative players. Is that because it turns out they're not good enough? Does Murray still not know his best team? Is it something else? It's a team that should still be good enough to win this game but it's hard to get excited about it. 

Murray out. The guys had plenty of time and hasn't a fucking clue.

His tactics are shite, subs are shite, and clearly doesn't rate his own signings by leaving them on the bench. Brings 3 of them on once we are 2 nil down. 

The guy is a clown. We've been in this league long enough and he will keep us here.