The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

4 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

Anyone else remember a match played at Firhill in the 1980s, it would have been around this time of year and Airdrie won 1:0, not that many of us knew as the fog was really thick towards the end of the match and half the ground didn't see the goal, word filtered round to us that we had scored.

Was Jimmy bone our manager, and was said when a roar from our dugout was heard but we didn't know if we had scored or one of Jimmy bone's horses had won,  just a story I seem remember, 

25 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Was Jimmy bone our manager, and was said when a roar from our dugout was heard but we didn't know if we had scored or one of Jimmy bone's horses had won,  just a story I seem remember, 

Yes I was there with my old man as bad a fog had ever seen. Was the highlights not on Scotsport 

3 hours ago, Mr November said:

Yeah the Murray out lot seemed particularly vocal on Saturday, even more so than usual. I like Murray and I think there is a good manager in there, he certainly proved that at Dumbarton, but he definitely has his faults and there's definitely a reasonable number of fans who are quick to criticise him as soon as the slightest thing goes wrong. I feel like that group of fans hasn't really grown much in size over his two years at the club though, it's generally the same people that you see complaining every month or so.

Tomorrow is two years exactly since his first proper game in charge, an uninspiring home defeat to Stenhousemuir. Looking back at his two years at the club I think we're definitely in a better position now than we were then. I think most people would agree that the current squad is better than the team Findlay built that season. There's definitely still a lot of work to do but I feel like the team, and the club as a whole, have made slow and steady progress since Murray's appointment. I think we've been unfortunate to have been in a very competitive league last season and this season so we maybe haven't progressed as much as we'd hoped, I think any of last seasons top five and now Cove Rangers too would beat the Airdrie and Brechin teams that finished in the play-offs in 2016/17, but I think the club is definitely in a better place now compared to two years ago. 

I had a quick look at Murray's overall record over the last two years and using league games only he's averaged around 1.54 points per game, which would get you about 55 points in a normal season and 42 in this shortened season, which might be enough to scrape into the play-offs looking at previous seasons. However, if you take the games from the start of last season where he's had his own team (obviously a very small sample size this season) he's averaged 1.7 points per game. It's definitely not title winning form but that would get you 61 points in a normal season and 46 in a shortened season which based on last season would have got us in the play-offs. 

I think this is a massive season for Murray in terms of where his managerial career goes from here. If he takes us to the play-offs, promotion or not, then I suspect the board will be relatively happy and he'll be kept on for another year. However, if we struggle and miss out on the top four then I imagine he'll be away and I'm not sure where he would go after that, given his last two jobs would have been failing at St. Mirren and not really achieving anything substantial at Airdrie. 

I think the problem some fans have with the manager is the style of play which is more defensive in the last two seasons we had a couple of 6 or 7 winning runs but struggled against the teams in the bottom half at home. I attended almost every game home and away last couple of seasons and at times it has been great to see the fans travel and support the team however that said the 4 games against Raith summed it up and as the manager said after Saturdays game we are hard to beat the frustration for me is we had some decent players who could attack teams and this was proved when we were chasing games. 

I have certainly not called for the manager to go and like us all I would like him to be successful and as the owners have provided all the director of footie and the manager has asked for I would say  the least we could expect from the diamonds is a serious challenge. In recent years Alloa Arbroath and Brechin have gain promotion and the are all smaller clubs than us but had the savy to play a style of football that is successful in this league. ♦️

Edited by Eric the half a b

53 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

I think the problem some fans have with the manager is the style of play which is more defensive in the last two seasons we had a couple of 6 or 7 winning runs but struggled against the teams in the bottom half at home. I attended almost every game home and away last couple of seasons and at times it has been great to see the fans travel and support the team however that said the 4 games against Raith summed it up and as the manager said after Saturdays game we are hard to beat the frustration for me is we had some decent players who could attack teams and this was proved when we were chasing games. 

I have certainly not called for the manager to go and like us all I would like him to be successful and as the owners have provided all the director of footie and the manager has asked for I would say  the least we could expect from the diamonds is a serious challenge. In recent years Alloa Arbroath and Brechin have gain promotion and the are all smaller clubs than us but had the savy to play a style of football that is successful in this league. ♦️

For me the issue has with Ian Murray has been his preoccupation with not losing first and foremost. We have not really had a side with a potent strike force for a while now and for me that does not bode well when we look at the other sides who are vying for promotion this season. I thought like most that Gallagher would benefit from a better creative midfield in Stokes, Sabatini and Robert but this doesn't seem to be the case so far. Ian Murray as we know likes all players who are capable of defending till the 90th minute, this sometimes procludes the gem of a striker who doesn't care to track back too often. The difference for me at the weekend in terms of the result was partick's number nine who posed a real threat and defended well in the box....we do not have that type of player at the moment and to be honest that's what I thought the club might have looked for in the summer.

2 hours ago, Elgindiamond said:

I was at that game. We were behind the goals to the left of the old main stand - where the Thistle support sit now {when they get in}.  Davie Mcwilliams in goal for us , I think ,and we couldn't see further than the half way line in the second half. We hear shouts (our players) and the keeper came back into his box and told us we'd scored!

Were you at that one Chapelhal Chap?

Happy memories of Firhill  - especially the Spring Cup Final.

The Spring Cup final was the same season as the fog game (75/76), but was the following May.  I always seem to remember Clydebank being a bit of a bogey team for us, so it was particularly sweet to become the first, and as it turned out only, winners of the Spring Cup that night.  I even still have the Glasgow Herald match report somewhere in my loft!

14 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

Anyone else remember a match played at Firhill in the 1980s, it would have been around this time of year and Airdrie won 1:0, not that many of us knew as the fog was really thick towards the end of the match and half the ground didn't see the goal, word filtered round to us that we had scored.

I remember going to Firhill to see us play in October 1975 and the fog was so thick that it was farcical. No way the game should have gone ahead but we won 1-0 and the only way I knew we had scored was the reaction of the players.

On the way home the bus driver (this wasn't a supporters bus, just an Eastern Scottish bus from Buchanan Street bus station) took 3 wrong turnings on the way back to Airdrie!

Happy days!

14 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Would like to see us make a wee positive change in the lineup for next week. I like both Kerr and Sabatini but they both sit quite deep and I'd like to see one maybe drop out for one of the more attacking players like Stokes or Robert.

Would like to see robert start in front of thomson on saturday, i feel thomson does well to get himself in good positions but his final ball lets him down. Would drop kerr as well for stokes and play mckay deeper with sabatini, i think there's a player in there with stokes looked quite tidy in his flashes in pre season not really been given a chance in competitve games yet.

10 hours ago, Eric the half a b said:

Yes I was there with my old man as bad a fog had ever seen. Was the highlights not on Scotsport 

That was maybe no the game that they are talking about, but that game happened as well, could have been at Ayr, been at a few that could have been called off, 

15 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

I  was there. As the old saying goes.

Bought my son the new Airdrie strip. What an absolutely belter it is. Its about 2 sizes too big for him (he is only 4) but will keep him going for a couple of years. Tempted to buy one for myself. Ive sent the photo of him in it to several people and everyone has commented on how smart the strip in.

13 minutes ago, airdrie_3 said:

Anyone here a part of Club 1924? I’ve been paying my membership fees for a couple of months but have never received any emails with the rewards, interviews etc. Don’t know if anyone else is having the same issue

I can't say I've had any issues but the emails seem to come from diamondsatheart@airdriefc.com if that's any help, possibly in your junk folder? You've not missed out on too much, just the monthly prize draw emails (which I think are posted on the club's social media anyway) and a couple of Q&A's with directors, Ian Murray and Sean Crighton. 

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

I can't say I've had any issues but the emails seem to come from diamondsatheart@airdriefc.com if that's any help, possibly in your junk folder? You've not missed out on too much, just the monthly prize draw emails (which I think are posted on the club's social media anyway) and a couple of Q&A's with directors, Ian Murray and Sean Crighton. 

The diamonds at heart stuff is a separate sign up, as I'm sure I got them before Club1924; not sure if there is anything direct for Club1924 apart from the draw, I asked about membership card re club shop discount and was advised they were printed and you could pick it up when in the shop.....

1 hour ago, airdrie_3 said:

Anyone here a part of Club 1924? I’ve been paying my membership fees for a couple of months but have never received any emails with the rewards, interviews etc. Don’t know if anyone else is having the same issue

I've not had any problems. Even won an away strip. 😎

1 hour ago, Maxismydog said:

The diamonds at heart stuff is a separate sign up, as I'm sure I got them before Club1924; not sure if there is anything direct for Club1924 apart from the draw, I asked about membership card re club shop discount and was advised they were printed and you could pick it up when in the shop.....

What about the 1924  ties, or the chiffon neck scarf if that's your thing....

20 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Heard it was a weaker team to give guys game time, was 4-1 at half time then a good few changes at half time finishing at 5-2, stokes and a Kerr pen

That's good. Wonder if anyone will have played their way into the lineup on Saturday. Maybe one of Sabatini, Kerr or McKay will lose out to Stokes. Be interesting to see how we go. 

51 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

That's good. Wonder if anyone will have played their way into the lineup on Saturday. Maybe one of Sabatini, Kerr or McKay will lose out to Stokes. Be interesting to see how we go. 

I think one of them will lose out to Connell rather than stokes if anything