The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Totally agree I think we have a decent squad on par with thistle. we lack that bit of extra quality/ experience and it showed with graham along with spittal being a cut above what we have that’s where the game was lost for us imo.

Think this match came a little too early for us. Another couple of games and we may have that cutting edge. Maybe. But there’s a lot of potential in the team and we need to find our feet quickly. But once again we find that the expected contenders are dropping points and this will definitely be tight. Would have bet good money on Falkirk taking 3 points... coupon buster

On 23/10/2020 at 23:20, Passionate said:

My personal favourite was a midweek League Cup tie at the start of the ill fated Archibald era, when the newly recruited Spanish Armada took on the Partick,  San Juan was pinging balls about that park as if it was game of fifa,   Big crowd plenty singing and a late penalty winner by Austin McCann.

Mine also.  Beautiful summer evening, lots of drama and a wall of seeth between the Airdrie and Partick fans who were seperated by a thin column of empty seats.

My main memory of that game was my mates buying copies of the Daily Record from a shop beside Munns to laugh at one of our other mates.

A few weeks previous he had been boasting about a bird he'd pulled in the Garage. Going on about how she looked like a model. His brother had seen said bird and said he must have had beer goggles as he thought she was a bit rough, but our mate was adament she was a stunner.

The day of the game the birds picture appaered in the Daily Record nightclub review page. His brother had actually understated how bad she was. It wasn't beer goggles he had, it was ethanol goggles. Everyone was buying copies of the paper to then post the pic about Safeway/Morrisons where he was working.

Edited by Tory Boy

44 minutes ago, waysider said:

Another tedious rules question. On Saturday I am certain I saw a Thistle player under no pressure pass the ball back to the keeper who immediately picked it up. Did anyone else see it or am I hallucinating? I was definitely sober!

Penrice used his thigh to pass it back to the keeper at one point, so I’m assuming that’s what you’re talking about. It looked a bit awkward, but I’m pretty sure his contact with the ball came above knee height, which made it within the rules.

https://www.idlehandsduffy.com/post/diamond-watches-partick-thistle-2-1-airdrieonians

Ach well, that was disappointing. A good day for the 'Murray out' brigade who seem to wait for defeats with something close to salivation, but a narrow defeat in a well fought game is no cause for doom and gloom. 

Hopefully the weather isn't as dreadful and we can get a game next week. Three games ahead of us that we could really do with winning, but can't see any of them being easy.  

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

https://www.idlehandsduffy.com/post/diamond-watches-partick-thistle-2-1-airdrieonians

Ach well, that was disappointing. A good day for the 'Murray out' brigade who seem to wait for defeats with something close to salivation, but a narrow defeat in a well fought game is no cause for doom and gloom. 

Hopefully the weather isn't as dreadful and we can get a game next week. Three games ahead of us that we could really do with winning, but can't see any of them being easy.  

Good read again andy!

Thought we were unlucky on saturday, didn't think we played our best but thought we did enough to merit a draw. Thistle had a good spell start of 2nd half until they scored then i thought we controlled the game without creating anything clear cut which is frustrating. By no means a disaster losing at firhill as you'd like to think there and falkirk will be toughest places to go this season. Looking forward to saturday should bounce back against a dumbarton side who i think will be at the bottom end of the table come may.

15 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Good read again andy!

Thought we were unlucky on saturday, didn't think we played our best but thought we did enough to merit a draw. Thistle had a good spell start of 2nd half until they scored then i thought we controlled the game without creating anything clear cut which is frustrating. By no means a disaster losing at firhill as you'd like to think there and falkirk will be toughest places to go this season. Looking forward to saturday should bounce back against a dumbarton side who i think will be at the bottom end of the table come may.

Cheers mate! 

Can't disagree with that any of that, although I'd maybe chuck in Cove as one of the places that will be particularly hard to go to. I don't see them losing many home games up there. Their away form might be where they fall down. We shall but see. 

I think (and hope) you're right about Saturday. When we click, I think we look quite dangerous. Just need to hit our stride, hopefully sooner rather than later, and get goals for the likes of Gal, Connell and the midfield. Carrick has started where he left off last season.

41 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Cheers mate! 

Can't disagree with that any of that, although I'd maybe chuck in Cove as one of the places that will be particularly hard to go to. I don't see them losing many home games up there. Their away form might be where they fall down. We shall but see. 

I think (and hope) you're right about Saturday. When we click, I think we look quite dangerous. Just need to hit our stride, hopefully sooner rather than later, and get goals for the likes of Gal, Connell and the midfield. Carrick has started where he left off last season.

3 big weeks coming up with Cove vs Thistle, Thistle vs Falkirk and then Falkirk vs Cove. I just hope we can put a run together while they're all playing one another. 

We've got Dumbarton away, Clyde at home and then Forfar away, so  9 point haul would be magnificent since, as @Tory Boy says, you'd think Thistle/Cove/Falkirk will be doing some mutual throat cutting. 

Getting those three wins won't be easy, though. Not at all. 

Anyone else remember a match played at Firhill in the 1980s, it would have been around this time of year and Airdrie won 1:0, not that many of us knew as the fog was really thick towards the end of the match and half the ground didn't see the goal, word filtered round to us that we had scored.

1 hour ago, Old Diamond said:

Anyone else remember a match played at Firhill in the 1980s, it would have been around this time of year and Airdrie won 1:0, not that many of us knew as the fog was really thick towards the end of the match and half the ground didn't see the goal, word filtered round to us that we had scored.

I remember a game in the 70s like you describe.  It was either Sandy Clark's debut, or maybe just the first time I saw him play.  I went with my usual crew (me, my dad, my dad's friend and my friend) but we also met up with my dad's friend's son with his friends from Glagow Uni who had adopted Thistle - I think they were mostly from different parts of England.  As the fog got worse they kept yelling "abandon" at the ref because we were winning, and the game did end 1-0, possibly with S. Clark being the scorer.  Happy days!

3 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Yeah the Murray out lot seemed particularly vocal on Saturday, even more so than usual. I like Murray and I think there is a good manager in there, he certainly proved that at Dumbarton, but he definitely has his faults and there's definitely a reasonable number of fans who are quick to criticise him as soon as the slightest thing goes wrong. I feel like that group of fans hasn't really grown much in size over his two years at the club though, it's generally the same people that you see complaining every month or so.

Tomorrow is two years exactly since his first proper game in charge, an uninspiring home defeat to Stenhousemuir. Looking back at his two years at the club I think we're definitely in a better position now than we were then. I think most people would agree that the current squad is better than the team Findlay built that season. There's definitely still a lot of work to do but I feel like the team, and the club as a whole, have made slow and steady progress since Murray's appointment. I think we've been unfortunate to have been in a very competitive league last season and this season so we maybe haven't progressed as much as we'd hoped, I think any of last seasons top five and now Cove Rangers too would beat the Airdrie and Brechin teams that finished in the play-offs in 2016/17, but I think the club is definitely in a better place now compared to two years ago. 

I had a quick look at Murray's overall record over the last two years and using league games only he's averaged around 1.54 points per game, which would get you about 55 points in a normal season and 42 in this shortened season, which might be enough to scrape into the play-offs looking at previous seasons. However, if you take the games from the start of last season where he's had his own team (obviously a very small sample size this season) he's averaged 1.7 points per game. It's definitely not title winning form but that would get you 61 points in a normal season and 46 in a shortened season which based on last season would have got us in the play-offs. 

I think this is a massive season for Murray in terms of where his managerial career goes from here. If he takes us to the play-offs, promotion or not, then I suspect the board will be relatively happy and he'll be kept on for another year. However, if we struggle and miss out on the top four then I imagine he'll be away and I'm not sure where he would go after that, given his last two jobs would have been failing at St. Mirren and not really achieving anything substantial at Airdrie. 

13 minutes ago, DiamondDownSouth said:

I remember a game in the 70s like you describe.  It was either Sandy Clark's debut, or maybe just the first time I saw him play.  I went with my usual crew (me, my dad, my dad's friend and my friend) but we also met up with my dad's friend's son with his friends from Glagow Uni who had adopted Thistle - I think they were mostly from different parts of England.  As the fog got worse they kept yelling "abandon" at the ref because we were winning, and the game did end 1-0, possibly with S. Clark being the scorer.  Happy days!

I think I've found the game I was talking about.  There is a web-site with historic Scottish football results (londonhearts.com) and on 18th Oct 1975 it has Partick Thistle 0 Airdrieonians 1.  That was first season following reconstruction.

Edited by DiamondDownSouth

Sure that’s the game where Stevie Gray was having a blinder and was hacked down for the umpteenth time on the stand side in front of the pavilion. Was on his knees on the turf punching the turf in frustration.

Sorry completely wrong game mine was late 80s early 90s at Broomfield. Experienced a brain fart there.

I was at that game. We were behind the goals to the left of the old main stand - where the Thistle support sit now {when they get in}.  Davie Mcwilliams in goal for us , I think ,and we couldn't see further than the half way line in the second half. We hear shouts (our players) and the keeper came back into his box and told us we'd scored!

Were you at that one Chapelhal Chap?

Happy memories of Firhill  - especially the Spring Cup Final.

Remember a match like that at Broomfield. Couldn't see either end of the pitch from the halfway line.