The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Not overly disheartened by that today think we held our own in large spells . Barring the 10 minute spell before and the 10 minute spell after half time when we got battered . Agree with the point stevo1968 makes above generally our final ball is pretty poor which is worrying. Think McCann and McDonald’s crosses into the box are often suspect. Hard to criticise those two but I find they get found out a bit in games against “better” teams. Think spittal had the beating of McDonald every time today. Maybe it will come with more experience

17 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Hard to tell from a TV screen whether the 2 referee decisions were merited, but Kyle McDonald ought to have stopped what became a great shot by Spittal. We did have good possession in the first half and seemed to be getting plusses from both wings, even if it was from direct play rather than stylish football. Currie did save us from going behind but I think we deserved the opening goal from a good move and cross by Crighton. Had we gone in 1 up at half time it would have kept the edge. Thistle took a lot from that and we were well out of the game for that spell before they went 2 up. Taking Sabatini off to move McKay back into midfield tells me that Paul is undroppable and it was a mistake as it let Thistle dominate for a while. It was only long throws by Connell and humping into the box which dragged us back in. Their goalie did make a great save from Thomson and we might have got that equaliser but a killer touch is lacking. Interested to see Murray berating the Ref at the end so maybe a sense of injustice will help next week. It was typical of what L1 games will be and a sign of how tough it will be-the only team to take the lead and lose because we needed a 2nd.  Much better  TV stream so well done  Thistle

Yes streaming was good,although I Thomson was having  better game than usual, I thought we would have seen O'Reilly come on, he made a difference last week then left on bench, manager knows best?? 

Just watched Ian Murray's interview and while I agreed with a lot of what he said I picked up on his closing statement concerning the season ahead which pretty much sums things up. "If we play like we did today we will be pretty hard to beat".  I'm afraid that's not what I want to hear as a fan!

19 minutes ago, Diamond72 said:

Just watched Ian Murray's interview and while I agreed with a lot of what he said I picked up on his closing statement concerning the season ahead which pretty much sums things up. "If we play like we did today we will be pretty hard to beat".  I'm afraid that's not what I want to hear as a fan!

Why’s that bad? If it gets results who cares, look at Crystal Palace staying in the premier league every year being hard to beat and being good on the break!

4 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Why’s that bad? If it gets results who cares, look at Crystal Palace staying in the premier league every year being hard to beat and being good on the break!

Question is are Cove Thistle and Falkirk as good as Raith last season if so we will be hard to beat win more than we loose and be in a fight with Montrose and East Fife for the the last playoff spot or be staying in this league ♦️

Could be wrong but I think the opening two fixtures have been a sign of things to come. Us, Falkirk and Thistle will drop points. Cove have obviously had the strongest start but their wins have came against a nine-man East Fife and a Peterhead side I expect to finish bottom (although we have to remember our win was also against that Peterhead side). I fully expect it to be similar to last season with a fair few teams all on similar points totals at the top and I expect us, Falkirk, Thistle, and Cove all to be there - and maybe one of the others not far behind. If we can beat the "lesser" teams with more consistency this time around we'll put ourselves in a good position.

Change of topic. I seem to be totally ignorant as to apparent changes to the rules. This season I have noticed (1) Twice in Airdrie games I have noticed the keeper taking a goal kick and passing it to a defender who was clearly in the box when he first touched it. (2) Peterhead were allowed to bring on 4 subs ,all for injuries, against us. I thought the maximum for the league games was 3. (3)  In a European match several times the goalie stood with the ball in his hands about to kick it out. An attacker stood very close to him and lifted his leg to attempt to block the kick. I didn’t think this was allowed.

Can anyone help me out. I remember getting caught out a few years ago when kicking a ball backwards at a kick off was allowed.

Change of topic. I seem to be totally ignorant as to apparent changes to the rules. This season I have noticed (1) Twice in Airdrie games I have noticed the keeper taking a goal kick and passing it to a defender who was clearly in the box when he first touched it. (2) Peterhead were allowed to bring on 4 subs ,all for injuries, against us. I thought the maximum for the league games was 3. (3)  In a European match several times the goalie stood with the ball in his hands about to kick it out. An attacker stood very close to him and lifted his leg to attempt to block the kick. I didn’t think this was allowed.
Can anyone help me out. I remember getting caught out a few years ago when kicking a ball backwards at a kick off was allowed.

The extra subs is a temporary measure due to players returning after a long time not playing. Teams can make 5 subs in three separate stoppages (so two double changes and a single, or a triple sub and two singles). This is the case in the Premiership, League One and League Two, but not in the Championship as not enough clubs in that league voted in favour. Both games we've named 7 subs but I'm sure we're allowed to name 9 with this new rule, as that is how it has been in the Premiership. The playoffs at the end of the season will return to three subs allowed but a fourth is allowed to be made if the game goes to extra time.

I'm sure the new goal kick rule came in at the start of last season. Keeper is now allowed to play it to his defenders inside the box but opposition players still cannot be in the box when the kick is taken (exception to this is if the keeper takes a quick goal kick and it's deemed that the attacker did not have enough time to leave the box)

As for the third question I haven't got a clue

50 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

The extra subs is a temporary measure due to players returning after a long time not playing. Teams can make 5 subs in three separate stoppages (so two double changes and a single, or a triple sub and two singles). This is the case in the Premiership, League One and League Two, but not in the Championship as not enough clubs in that league voted in favour. Both games we've named 7 subs but I'm sure we're allowed to name 9 with this new rule, as that is how it has been in the Premiership. The playoffs at the end of the season will return to three subs allowed but a fourth is allowed to be made if the game goes to extra time.

I'm sure the new goal kick rule came in at the start of last season. Keeper is now allowed to play it to his defenders inside the box but opposition players still cannot be in the box when the kick is taken (exception to this is if the keeper takes a quick goal kick and it's deemed that the attacker did not have enough time to leave the box)

As for the third question I haven't got a clue

Thanks. I thought the subs question must have been something about the virus.

3 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

Agree we are and will be hard to beat most games in this league,  but if you flip it are we good enough to beat teams on a consistent basis, when yourself confessed mantra is not to lose,  but

There is an interesting play on words when you listen to Murray's interviews,(not the Thistle  interview)  Murray always thanking Millar and the board for targeting signings and bringing them to the club,   IS he is  stating he isn't signing the players and are being signed by the Director of Football,  is this why a number of talented offensive players are currently ring left out the side,  Thomas Robert and  Stokes being the players...  If so I cannot see how this can be of a benefit at League 1 level,  Managers should target and sign the players HE wants.......  Thoughts

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

We are not hard to beat,, no by any good side , 

Thankfully, there are no good sides in this division. 

That was a tight game, and all evidence would suggest that the league will be similarly well contested. As things stand, it is hard to imagine any side running away with the league, nor is it easy to envisage many going long spells without dropping any points. 

Edited by AndyDD

35 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Agree we are and will be hard to beat most games in this league,  but if you flip it are we good enough to beat teams on a consistent basis, when yourself confessed mantra is not to lose,  but

There is an interesting play on words when you listen to Murray's interviews,(not the Thistle  interview)  Murray always thanking Millar and the board for targeting signings and bringing them to the club,   IS he is  stating he isn't signing the players and are being signed by the Director of Football,  is this why a number of talented offensive players are currently ring left out the side,  Thomas Robert and  Stokes being the players...  If so I cannot see how this can be of a benefit at League 1 level,  Managers should target and sign the players HE wants.......  Thoughts

I agree with your take said earlier we are starting with 9 of last years team thats not to say they are not better than the new signings however would suggest not suitable for the managers plan A. 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

That was a tight game, and all evidence would suggest that the league will be similarly well contested. As things stand, it is hard to imagine any side running away with the league, nor is it easy to envisage many going long spells without dropping any points. 

I agree, yesterday’s game could have gone either way it was a tight victory for us. That is how the majority of this season is going to be though I think cagey affairs, with the occasional big win here and there but mainly tightly contested games. I thought Airdrie were the better team in the first half and we were the better team for the majority of the second expect your late push. Neither team were brilliant and both could claim they deserved something.

1 minute ago, R&Y99 said:

I agree, yesterday’s game could have gone either way it was a tight victory for us. That is how the majority of this season is going to be though I think cagey affairs, with the occasional big win here and there but mainly tightly contested games. I thought Airdrie were the better team in the first half and we were the better team for the majority of the second expect your late push. Neither team were brilliant and both could claim they deserved something.

Yeah; I think having a player of Graham's quality leading the line will serve Thistle well; he is the kind of player that can turn 0 points to 1, or 1 to 3. Even his clearing headers from some of our balls into the box made significant difference. You're right though, there will be some comfortable wins here and there but more often than not it will be cagey, hard fought matches like yesterday. I don't disagree with that assessment, I think we struggled second half until the second Thistle goal, at which point we started to come back into it. Not sure if that was us going more direct or Thistle retreating to try and sit on the lead. 

Likely a bit of both. 

The third question : I saw the Ref award a foul when the goalie's KO from hand was blocked in Arbroath game on Friday night. I think that is the rule now but although there are 17 Laws of football there must be hunners of rules so no wonder we can all get mixed up. Offsidekick being taken in your own half because you came back from being offside in their half, this caused a few crowd shouts then.

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Thankfully, there are no good sides in this division. 

Just did not think we looked to clever, Mcdonald was being passed as if he was not there, Sabatini is a talented player but will hardly venture into attacking position  once again we were crying out for a attacking players, that will be the difference when games are close, 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Yeah; I think having a player of Graham's quality leading the line will serve Thistle well; he is the kind of player that can turn 0 points to 1, or 1 to 3. Even his clearing headers from some of our balls into the box made significant difference. You're right though, there will be some comfortable wins here and there but more often than not it will be cagey, hard fought matches like yesterday. I don't disagree with that assessment, I think we struggled second half until the second Thistle goal, at which point we started to come back into it. Not sure if that was us going more direct or Thistle retreating to try and sit on the lead. 

Likely a bit of both. 

Graham is a huge player for us, we lacked something without him on the opening day against Clyde. I think you’re right, we played more defensively for the final 20 as we seemed to just be looking to see out the game. I don’t remember us having any significant chances after our second, it was mainly you putting crosses and long throws in the box as we retreated men back like you have mentioned with Graham.

Graham is a huge player for us, we lacked something without him on the opening day against Clyde. I think you’re right, we played more defensively for the final 20 as we seemed to just be looking to see out the game. I don’t remember us having any significant chances after our second, it was mainly you putting crosses and long throws in the box as we retreated men back like you have mentioned with Graham.

Totally agree I think we have a decent squad on par with thistle. we lack that bit of extra quality/ experience and it showed with graham along with spittal being a cut above what we have that’s where the game was lost for us imo.