The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

54 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Sorry Paul

I got the team wrong again and once more Paul McKay takes me to task; it seemed to take ages for him to score but he was there. As the attacking midfielder I will wait a wee bit longer. It was a good shot and goal by Thomson , and although there was good wing play left and right  , it is frustrating to see little end product. Stenny appeared more able to move the ball about but they came up against that solid defence. I thought McCann broke forward well but as there is no striker in the box, it ends up powder puff. Saturdays team will once more surprise me, but a win is a win, so I am not as negative as many on FB. 

Pretty comfortable win in the end and never looked under any real threat or pressure at all. Defence were solid once again and I thought Leon McCann had a particularly good game both at the back and going forward. I thought we got the ball into dangerous positions well (O'Reilly) but our final ball was really lacking (also O'Reilly). In fairness, he was hampered by a lack of Airdrie players in the box, something which we'll also have to improve. He did set up the first so hopefully he can improve the consistency of his final ball with more game time. Lovely strike from Thomson for the second goal. 

Would like to see Carrick and Sabatini on from the start on Saturday and I assume they were just being rested tonight. No clue who'll be playing in the other attacking positions but would like to see us be a bit more adventurous in the centre of the park. You're not going to create much with a midfield of Kerr, McKay and Ritchie. 

On the whole though good to get a win, and to finally beat fucking Stenny, going into the league on Saturday. 

Edited by airdrieman

18 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I got the team wrong again and once more Paul McKay takes me to task; it seemed to take ages for him to score but he was there. As the attacking midfielder I will wait a wee bit longer. It was a good shot and goal by Thomson , and although there was good wing play left and right  , it is frustrating to see little end product. Stenny appeared more able to move the ball about but they came up against that solid defence. I thought McCann broke forward well but as there is no striker in the box, it ends up powder puff. Saturdays team will once more surprise me, but a win is a win, so I am not as negative as many on FB. 

Negative or truthful, aye we won 2-0, I for one did not see any improvement from last year, same tactics, second half apart from the goals, stenny looked like the team a league above, 

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Negative or truthful, aye we won 2-0, I for one did not see any improvement from last year, same tactics, second half apart from the goals, stenny looked like the team a league above, 

I am not criticising the posters on FB and share much of the down beat stuff , it's just that I am an incurable optimist. I think you are right that we don't look much better than last season. It's hard to judge TV stuff but Stenny lacked a cutting edge as well.  Peterhead will be a real challenge

59 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I am not criticising the posters on FB and share much of the down beat stuff , it's just that I am an incurable optimist. I think you are right that we don't look much better than last season. It's hard to judge TV stuff but Stenny lacked a cutting edge as well.  Peterhead will be a real challenge

We are a defensive side, and actually seem more so than last season even with our improved attacking options,   We look a side that one goal would beat us,   we need to attack this league if we want out it,   just too many project players in the team for my liking who will consistency throughout the season....   I don't think the bookies will be far off either,  hopefully we have enough for a playoff,   

10 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Aye fair comment, not much point in dressing it up, some of our posts said we dominated when in fact, these stats again I know they don't mean a thing, possession  they had more, shots on target they had more, corners we beat them there, most  important though the goals, good test on sat, get a better idea where we are at against team in our own league, 

14 hours ago, Passionate said:

We are a defensive side, and actually seem more so than last season even with our improved attacking options,   We look a side that one goal would beat us,   we need to attack this league if we want out it,   just too many project players in the team for my liking who will consistency throughout the season....   I don't think the bookies will be far off either,  hopefully we have enough for a playoff,   

Last season if we went 1-0 up I was confident we would see out the game and if we went 1-0 down, I was not confident at all we would be good enough to break down teams and get back into the game. Without looking, I would guess the stats would back that up? I'm a little concerned that we may well be the same this season if our final ball doesn't improve. But that being said, still early early days and way too soon to be making a judgement either way before the first ball of the league season is even kicked. 

19 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Last season if we went 1-0 up I was confident we would see out the game and if we went 1-0 down, I was not confident at all we would be good enough to break down teams and get back into the game. Without looking, I would guess the stats would back that up? I'm a little concerned that we may well be the same this season if our final ball doesn't improve. But that being said, still early early days and way too soon to be making a judgement either way before the first ball of the league season is even kicked. 

Yeah I've just quickly checked this and I think we only dropped four points from winning positions last season in the league, the 3-1 loss at home to Montrose and the 2-2 draw against East Fife, although in the East Fife game we did come from behind to take the lead before the late collapse. There was also the Hamilton game in the cup where we lost 3-2 after being 2-0 up. 

We actually did a bit better than I expected in terms of winning points from losing positions, picking up 8 points in the 3-1 win against Clyde, the 2-2 draw against Stranraer, 4-1 win at Forfar and the 1-1 draw against Falkirk. 

Only one team scored in 16 of our 28 league games last season which definitely backs up the general though of the team being hard to beat but struggling to break other teams down. To be honest, it's been an issue throughout Murray's tenure. All those 1-0 home defeats in his first season were what ultimately cost us and while things definitely improved last season, the three defeats to Raith and the 1-0 defeat at Montrose just before the season ended were prime examples of a team having no idea how to break down the opposition. 

23 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Yeah I've just quickly checked this and I think we only dropped four points from winning positions last season in the league, the 3-1 loss at home to Montrose and the 2-2 draw against East Fife, although in the East Fife game we did come from behind to take the lead before the late collapse. There was also the Hamilton game in the cup where we lost 3-2 after being 2-0 up. 

We actually did a bit better than I expected in terms of winning points from losing positions, picking up 8 points in the 3-1 win against Clyde, the 2-2 draw against Stranraer, 4-1 win at Forfar and the 1-1 draw against Falkirk. 

Only one team scored in 16 of our 28 league games last season which definitely backs up the general though of the team being hard to beat but struggling to break other teams down. To be honest, it's been an issue throughout Murray's tenure. All those 1-0 home defeats in his first season were what ultimately cost us and while things definitely improved last season, the three defeats to Raith and the 1-0 defeat at Montrose just before the season ended were prime examples of a team having no idea how to break down the opposition. 

Maybe be a good idea to try and get some strikers in the box, even stenny 's Arthur Montford picked that up, saying O' Reilly keeps crossing but never any one in the box, 

As much as I think we'll be better than least season, would anyone really not be satisfied with third place, tucked closely behind 1st and 2nd? Because that's what we managed last season. 

Airdrie being hard to beat is hardly some minor achievement, in recent years. 

I've said it before on here but I'd be surprised if we were any worse than last season. Currie is an upgrade (and even if he wasn't we still have Hutton), we have the same back 4 as last season, we've kept our two top scorers. Only major change is midfield and with Kerr stepping into midfield and Sabatini joining I think we've got better there than Wedderburn and Millar. We've signed a few wide players which we lacked last season. The only player from last season that I'm actually disappointed to have lost is Callum Smith. The big challenge this season is that it's quite likely that the overall quality of the league has improved. Cove will certainly be better than Stranraer and Falkirk are probably better now than they were last season. Whether Thistle will be better than Raith Rovers were last season I don't know yet, same goes for whether or not East Fife or Montrose have improved. If all of that's happened it'll be a very tough league.

I've said it before on here but I'd be surprised if we were any worse than last season. Currie is an upgrade (and even if he wasn't we still have Hutton), we have the same back 4 as last season, we've kept our two top scorers. Only major change is midfield and with Kerr stepping into midfield and Sabatini joining I think we've got better there than Wedderburn and Millar. We've signed a few wide players which we lacked last season. The only player from last season that I'm actually disappointed to have lost is Callum Smith. The big challenge this season is that it's quite likely that the overall quality of the league has improved. Cove will certainly be better than Stranraer and Falkirk are probably better now than they were last season. Whether Thistle will be better than Raith Rovers were last season I don't know yet, same goes for whether or not East Fife or Montrose have improved. If all of that's happened it'll be a very tough league.

Before anyone accuses me of being overly optimistic here I'd say that I'm actually being very realistic about our situation. We might be murder to watch at times but that was true last season as well and we still put up a title fight. I'd take us getting out this league even if we had to play the worst football in the world to do it. I'd prefer us to play nice football and I think the quality is there in the squad for us to get the ball on the deck and do that, but if we're getting results I won't be complaining.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Before anyone accuses me of being overly optimistic here I'd say that I'm actually being very realistic about our situation. We might be murder to watch at times but that was true last season as well and we still put up a title fight. I'd take us getting out this league even if we had to play the worst football in the world to do it. I'd prefer us to play nice football and I think the quality is there in the squad for us to get the ball on the deck and do that, but if we're getting results I won't be complaining.

Always better to be optimistic specially being a Diamond. Not seen all the games but what I have seems we will go with most of last seasons players with one or two of the new guys starting . All managers have their style of play personally I think we can be over cautious with more defensive minded set up. I would suggest playoffs are a must and while would love to win league 2nd or 3rd would be successful. 

Here's hoping for a good start and a win first game to set the tone for the season.♦️

Now the pre-season is over with here is my tuppence worth. 7 games - 4 wins - 2 draws - 1 defeat. Every player has had a run out and we tried different formations and combinations. In spells, with certain combinations I think we’ve looked decent.

Currie looks a good shot stopper but I’ve not been overly impressed with his distribution. I think he tends to go long too often when there has been options. I know at this level you have to mx it up, if you go short all the time teams will just press you higher up the park and players like Crighton who’s a decent defender (and surprisingly good at carrying the ball out of defence) but just don’t have the passing ability to get out of those sort of situations. My only comment would be when we do go long  think they should be aiming to go down the channels more often, use the pace of our wide players rather than hoping the likes to Gallagher or whoever is playing centre forward wins an aerial battle with a centre half.

It’s good to see McCann & MacDonald continue on from where they left off last season. You always wonder are young players going to be one season wonders.

Sabatini looks a class act. Massive improvement on what we’ve had previously. One of my biggest gripes with Airdrie is our slack passing Gallagher has  it’s great to see someone like him who is so composed on the ball. I really think once him and Robert get a run of games together they could be the difference.

Kerr has looked really good in midfield. Rarely wastes the ball and can get stuck into a challenge. He will be an important player when we're playing the better/attacking teams.

Airdrie support always have a fall guy and going by Facebook it looks like McKay is going to be the guy taking the blame for all our wrongs this season. I really don’t get the abuse he took for the Alloa performance.  I wouldn’t say he doe anything spectacular but at the same time I didn’t see him do much wrong. When I watched back on the highlights he was involved most things we created. Even seen a couple blame him for the 2nd goal we lost even though it was Crighton that Robertson got away from for the goal.

O’Rielly & Thomson get themselves into some great positions. They’re good at going past players and getting in to good positions. However their final ball lets them down. They just need a bit of composure. Hopefully the assist and goal during the week will give them a bit of confidence.

Overall I think we’ve improved on last season. However as Shine On You Crazy Diamonds said so have others in division, just have to hope we’ve done enough to challenge for the league again.

https://www.idlehandsduffy.com/post/diamond-watches-stenhousemuir-0-2-airdrieonians

Agree with the sentiment that we've improved on last season as a squad and that it could all come down to the relative strength of the other sides this year compared to last. Just so excited that it's nearly, finally, properly here.