The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I think our disappoinment going forward is probably downto the fact that we thought that we would see some real quality in the forward line this season (West Ham or otherwise). This is obviously the hardest part of the team to fill so I can understand the difficulty. We are at the moment sitting with attackers who by and large have not really proven themselves as a real threat to opponents. As a fan last season I was always fearfull of how players like Goodwillie, McManus and the like could cause us real problems. I don't think that could be said for any of our attacking players by opposing fans. I would be delighted to be proven wrong this season !

Maybe wrong but going by that interview by Murray after the game knowing ally roys injury even with the boy from Kilmarnock signing indicated we are still light on numbers up front so maybe more to come ...

Way too early to be judging our squad after only one competitive game in 7 months against a team from a higher division. Worth bearing in mind too that the spine of this team made the play-off positions last season and were only 5 points off the title before the season came to a close. Is this squad worse than last season's? I really don't think so. Currie is an upgrade on Gallacher and we have the same solid back 4. Sabatini also looks to definitely be an upgrade on Millar. Up front? We still have Gallagher and Carrick who got 27 goals between them last season and have only really lost Callum Smith, whose contribution came more in work-rate rather than goals (Andy Ryan wasn't here long enough to make an impact). Can Stokes, O'Reilly or Robert replace the work-rate of Smith and supplement it with more goals? That remains to be seen but I'm reasonably optimistic they can. As does the potential impact of Connell who is certainly rated highly by Killie fans. A shame to lose Roy for a number of weeks but interesting that Murray seems to be suggesting that they'll look to add to the squad again. I haven't had a look through the squads of Premiership or Championship clubs' but last season us, Raith and Falkirk had Andy Ryan, Steven McLean and Declan McManus on loan respectively so the potential to sign an 'established' striker on loan is definitely there, which I think would boost the optimism of all of us. 

Keep the faith - will give them at least until the Peterhead game next week before I lose that :P  

5 hours ago, David_86 said:

We sit far to deep. Our "wingers" are regularly collecting the ball in their own third, with 1 player ahead of them to pick out. They end up isolated and surrounded by opposition resulting in either a lump up the channel, a backwards pass or lose the ball. I think we have players but we dont have a manager to get the best from them. Needs to start going with two up front imo as the rest of the team are too deep. Against Allo at the start of the game we had a line of 4 with three DM's planted along the front of them in our own third. We had 1 forward on his todd and the "wingers" were also deep in our own half so the ball was just given away constantly as we had no attacking options when we won the ball which ended with Alloa getting a goal. Being solid at the back is good, but Tuesday showed if you have no players to attack teams will eventually pick you off or get a break of the ball which will punish you. I reckon Gary Bollan would get more out of this squad than Murray can because he is too stubborn in using a system which isnt working for us.

Hello folks not been on for a while was waiting for the real stuff to start. To Early to judge the team so far. Wee bit of caution team looked like last seasons team to me pretty much same old hopefully some of the new chaps make a difference if played cant fault effort some decent football played are we good enough to win the league........ Time will tell if I get a return on my annual bet lol .... go on the diamonds ♦️

Edited by Eric the half a b

39 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

Hello folks not been on for a while was waiting for the real stuff to start. To Early to judge the team so far. Wee bit of caution team looked like last seasons team to me pretty much same old hopefully some of the new chaps make a difference if played cant fault effort some decent football played are we good enough to win the league........ Time will tell if I get a return on my annual bet lol .... go on the diamonds ♦️

Welcome back Eric.  It is indeed now the real thing and there was a lot of over reaction to that first defeat, but it did have an element of deja vu, as Murray plumped for an untried striker as Gallagher stayed on bench.  One pop question from my playlists : Who recorded" deja vu" in 1970 ish ? 

20 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Welcome back Eric.  It is indeed now the real thing and there was a lot of over reaction to that first defeat, but it did have an element of deja vu, as Murray plumped for an untried striker as Gallagher stayed on bench.  One pop question from my playlists : Who recorded" deja vu" in 1970 ish ? 

Hope everyone has been well. You got me on that one had to Google it won't say see if anyone else knows. 

Missing the football and the banter had few chats and seems they expect to be successful this year. That said who would have thought with all our ups and downs last season we would have been hit with this virus puts things in perspective cause it is so clever cause u can't catch it eating a mac cheese in the local cafe but you will defo catch it eating mac cheese in a restaurant.... thank goodness their shut lol 

2 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

Hope everyone has been well. You got me on that one had to Google it won't say see if anyone else knows. 

Missing the football and the banter had few chats and seems they expect to be successful this year. That said who would have thought with all our ups and downs last season we would have been hit with this virus puts things in perspective cause it is so clever cause u can't catch it eating a mac cheese in the local cafe but you will defo catch it eating mac cheese in a restaurant.... thank goodness their shut lol 

You are too young to remember 1970. It is a weird period indeed but my Curry takeaway saved me for most of that time.  

8 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

You are too young to remember 1970. It is a weird period indeed but my Curry takeaway saved me for most of that time.  

Oh know few tunes from then first away game 1967 v celtic 2 all my first Scottish cup away game v Cowdenbeath had some fantastic players in those days not that Airdrie fans moaned much then lol 

1 hour ago, Eric the half a b said:

Oh know few tunes from then first away game 1967 v celtic 2 all my first Scottish cup away game v Cowdenbeath had some fantastic players in those days not that Airdrie fans moaned much then lol 

A lifetime of moans but sticking with it: the lot of an Airdrie fan. I have John Henderson's book on the 60s and it is always worth revisiting.  The days of Jarvie/ Busby/Wilson and so many others.  Saw the Falkirk result /loss but I thought it was on Pay TV so I kept my money for the Diamonds. Even if it had been free I would have preferred Bake off's extra slice.

10 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

A lifetime of moans but sticking with it: the lot of an Airdrie fan. I have John Henderson's book on the 60s and it is always worth revisiting.  The days of Jarvie/ Busby/Wilson and so many others.  Saw the Falkirk result /loss but I thought it was on Pay TV so I kept my money for the Diamonds. Even if it had been free I would have preferred Bake off's extra slice.

Aye we would get some bad results, difference being on our day we could beat any one, aye a few in England as well, 

16 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

They’ve been the topic of a bit of discussion on various outlets, now hear their side of what it’s like to commentate on Diamonds TV. 2 very passionate Airdrie fans prepared to volunteer and who are doing a great job emoji1303.pngemoji815.png

Link to Chris Mitchell fundraiser is https://gf.me/u/yp7nn6

As I could not be at a game today(!) I had a full listen to the OTL podcast- was very interesting to hear about what goes into the broadcast. The last bit on our performance and prospects was quite realistic- chasing the play offs again. Brian at least explained why he had got the Alloa player wrong-fair dos to both him and John. Open air broadcasting might need a John Motson sheepskin coat, which will please John O'Brien. Favourite radio commentator for me: David Francey TV  Arthur stramash Montford. 

A view from the Terrace’s Craig G Telfer was good enough to come back on the podcast ahead of Airdrie’s trip to Stenhousemuir on Tuesday night. He tells us what he thinks of the Warriors prospects for the coming season, why he’s not convinced Thomas Robert has the Je ne sais quoi to make it in Scotland, what happened to Chris O’Neil and what we can expect when A View From the Terrace comes back for its third series on Friday night

A view from the Terrace’s Craig G Telfer was good enough to come back on the podcast ahead of Airdrie’s trip to Stenhousemuir on Tuesday night. He tells us what he thinks of the Warriors prospects for the coming season, why he’s not convinced Thomas Robert has the Je ne sais pas to make it in Scotland, what happened to Chris O’Neil and what we can expect when A View From the Terrace comes back for its third series on Friday night

Shouldn't it be "quoi" not "pas", otherwise it's a bit of a faux pas?

8 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Merde! Mrs McMeechan at Airdrie Academy will be disappointed in me emoji17.png

You are lucky you were so much younger than me, and never had Annabel Johnson trying to teach French in Airdrie Academy in the early 1960s . Amazing that correct French has appeared on P/B. Enjoyed the OTL podcast with Craig Telfer who at least agrees with most of us , that Callum Gallagher is a centre forward. Maybe Ian Murray will take note.