The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

The thing is, teams don’t really cut us open, we probably had more opportunities that Alloa but it seems so rushed and desperate rather than a thought behind it. Someone able to explain how McKay merited a start last night... daddy influence starting already lol

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

It looks like Ally Roy will be out for around 3 months going by Ian Murray’s comments here.

I thought we were ok last night and losing certainly wasn’t a disaster but I think it showed the issues most of us were expecting based on pre-season. Alloa looked much more comfortable on the ball and really controlled the game either side of their goals. I actually thought Airdrie probably edged it in between their goals, there was a spell early in the second half where we looked really good, but on the whole we never did enough going forward. 

I don’t think the Paul McKay up front experiment worked. He’s played all across the defence, right midfield, central midfield and now as a striker, it’s probably about time he finds a settled position for his own sake. I thought Kerr and Sabatini did ok in midfield, Sabatini was excellent during our spells where we looked the better team but seemed to struggle a bit either side of Alloa’s goals when we looked worse, which probably isn’t a coincidence. 

Thomson and Carrick worked hard as always but there was little end product there. O’Reilly looked decent when he came on and certainly tried to impose himself on the game so I’d like to see him start ahead of Thomson against Stenhousemuir. 

Overall, I have strangely few complaints for a defeat, with only the front four needing changed for Tuesday. The seven behind them look pretty settled, so I think it’s now a case of finding the best balance going forward. 

You are spot on about Thomson and Carrick  no end product, 

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

It looks like Ally Roy will be out for around 3 months going by Ian Murray’s comments here.

I thought we were ok last night and losing certainly wasn’t a disaster but I think it showed the issues most of us were expecting based on pre-season. Alloa looked much more comfortable on the ball and really controlled the game either side of their goals. I actually thought Airdrie probably edged it in between their goals, there was a spell early in the second half where we looked really good, but on the whole we never did enough going forward. 

I don’t think the Paul McKay up front experiment worked. He’s played all across the defence, right midfield, central midfield and now as a striker, it’s probably about time he finds a settled position for his own sake. I thought Kerr and Sabatini did ok in midfield, Sabatini was excellent during our spells where we looked the better team but seemed to struggle a bit either side of Alloa’s goals when we looked worse, which probably isn’t a coincidence. 

Thomson and Carrick worked hard as always but there was little end product there. O’Reilly looked decent when he came on and certainly tried to impose himself on the game so I’d like to see him start ahead of Thomson against Stenhousemuir. 

Overall, I have strangely few complaints for a defeat, with only the front four needing changed for Tuesday. The seven behind them look pretty settled, so I think it’s now a case of finding the best balance going forward. 

A very fair assessment I think. Keeper, defence and CDMs all solid enough but the front 4, so to speak, needs to improve. I'd keep Carrick in there for his work ethic and ability to track back. I'd start Stokes as he's shown enough to be able to cause defences problems and then OReilly after a decent sub appearance. Him or Robert. Robert is one of these players who will drift in and out of games I think, but when on it he can be very dangerous. 

Up top, I'd start the loanee next game. See what he can do. 

Overall it was a decent exercise last night though. Nothing to be too disheartened about and we do have options to mix it up a bit so let's see what happens in our next game. 

Got to admit i was disappointed with the starting eleven with 9 players from last season starting the game. New signings need to get in first eleven or they are pretty pointless.

Yes i know it's early and things will change but they have to as the league is definitely stronger this year.

12 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

correct me if I’m wrong but sabatini got caught on the ball for the 2nd goal, really not seeing the big fuss, think he’s done okay...

Sabatini has been great since he’s came best midfielder we’ve had in a long long time we just need to get the right midfield round about him and he’ll really show how great a player he is he’s too good for us along with Thomas Robert

2 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

Sabatini has been great since he’s came best midfielder we’ve had in a long long time we just need to get the right midfield round about him and he’ll really show how great a player he is he’s too good for us along with Thomas Robert

Many will disagree about Robert but the guys clearly has talent. We've seen flashes of it so far he's still young though and realistically has no actual 2st team experience so we cannot put to much pressure or expectation on his shoulders just because of who his dad is. He will come good but it won't necessarily be immediate. I'd still have him in an attacking mid 3 with Carrick and Stokes.gove them a few games to gel, with a solid 7 behind them and possible Connell up top. He seems quite highly rated by Killie fans. 

I was a bit surprised to see so many folk on here disappointed in Robert. Fair enough the club maybe overhyped him but it's perfectly normal for a wide player to drift in and out of games. He's shown glimpses of real talent and hopefully will settle and improve as the season goes on, even if he isn't a starter yet.

Robert will do a lot more with the ball to his feet than big punts up the park. He's been involved in a couple of goals pre-season with limited play time, I don't think we've really seen enough to judge yet.

Edited by G_H

19 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Who is the ham and eggers in the league,, as I did think some boys played OK with Sabatini  the stand out, I have not seen any evidence in any of our friendlies  that we will set the Heather on fire, it is only my opinion but like last season we don't seem to be able  to link play,, 

Almost every centre-half in the league bar our own pair of course ;)

Agree with pretty much everything that's been said about the game. Would expect Connell to start the next game in place of Roy. Would like to see O'Reilly in for Thomson. I know the club rate Thomson but, while has his uses, he just doesn't produce anything of substance often enough for me. Would like to see Stokes or Robert replace McKay too. I don't want to jinx it, and with it being Stenny that's a jinx enough, but hopefully a run out against a team in a lower division might give the likes of Stokes, Robert, O'Reilly etc a goal or two and a bit of confidence heading into the league season. 

Good to see some measured and sensible discussion about what was a largely competitive game against a team in the league above, rather than the usual hysteria and mass moaning over on the Facebook group. 

37 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Almost every centre-half in the league bar our own pair of course ;)

Agree with pretty much everything that's been said about the game. Would expect Connell to start the next game in place of Roy. Would like to see O'Reilly in for Thomson. I know the club rate Thomson but, while has his uses, he just doesn't produce anything of substance often enough for me. Would like to see Stokes or Robert replace McKay too. I don't want to jinx it, and with it being Stenny that's a jinx enough, but hopefully a run out against a team in a lower division might give the likes of Stokes, Robert, O'Reilly etc a goal or two and a bit of confidence heading into the league season. 

Good to see some measured and sensible discussion about what was a largely competitive game against a team in the league above, rather than the usual hysteria and mass moaning over on the Facebook group. 

Aye, would go with Connel and Gallagher upfront, 

I must be watching different matches than everyone else. I cannot understand all this optimism. We are a very ordinary team. We have a decent defence and little else. We hardly ever manage a shot at goal. We have no cutting edge. If we do well in this league, it must be a poor league.

1 hour ago, waysider said:

I must be watching different matches than everyone else. I cannot understand all this optimism. We are a very ordinary team. We have a decent defence and little else. We hardly ever manage a shot at goal. We have no cutting edge. If we do well in this league, it must be a poor league.

Yep, you just be. To say we have little else other than a decent defence is skepticism at its finest. We've some decent attacking players, just haven't found the right combo yet. Also we've been trying to bring in a new striker for a while. We finally got one and he's not even had an opportunity to play yet. Let's not forget, we've played some friendlies to get players fitness up and ONE Betfred Cup game against a team from the league above. 

A wee bit of perspective required maybe. We've barely got started. 

29 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Yep, you just be. To say we have little else other than a decent defence is skepticism at its finest. We've some decent attacking players, just haven't found the right combo yet. Also we've been trying to bring in a new striker for a while. We finally got one and he's not even had an opportunity to play yet. Let's not forget, we've played some friendlies to get players fitness up and ONE Betfred Cup game against a team from the league above. 

A wee bit of perspective required maybe. We've barely got started. 

We've still got the 3(2)(1) strikers from West Ham to come in and Harry overseeing the squad and getting a few rounds in @Airdrie Golf Club. 

11 hours ago, waysider said:

I am watching the same as you, got picked up on being a half empty glass rather than half full, very ordinary team, playing the same as last  season, alloa are a part time team and play as a team unlike us, don't think we will reach play off's unless we get some life in us going forward, if we think we are better than teams in our league, maybe we better think again, OMO 

I think our disappoinment going forward is probably downto the fact that we thought that we would see some real quality in the forward line this season (West Ham or otherwise). This is obviously the hardest part of the team to fill so I can understand the difficulty. We are at the moment sitting with attackers who by and large have not really proven themselves as a real threat to opponents. As a fan last season I was always fearfull of how players like Goodwillie, McManus and the like could cause us real problems. I don't think that could be said for any of our attacking players by opposing fans. I would be delighted to be proven wrong this season !

We sit far to deep. Our "wingers" are regularly collecting the ball in their own third, with 1 player ahead of them to pick out. They end up isolated and surrounded by opposition resulting in either a lump up the channel, a backwards pass or lose the ball. I think we have players but we dont have a manager to get the best from them. Needs to start going with two up front imo as the rest of the team are too deep. Against Allo at the start of the game we had a line of 4 with three DM's planted along the front of them in our own third. We had 1 forward on his todd and the "wingers" were also deep in our own half so the ball was just given away constantly as we had no attacking options when we won the ball which ended with Alloa getting a goal. Being solid at the back is good, but Tuesday showed if you have no players to attack teams will eventually pick you off or get a break of the ball which will punish you. I reckon Gary Bollan would get more out of this squad than Murray can because he is too stubborn in using a system which isnt working for us.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Would anyone with a better knowledge of this stuff than me be able to estimate how long Roy will be out for with that injury? 6 weeks? 2 months?

I would say about 6-8 weeks for a full recovery. Could probably take part in light training 4 weeks after the surgery.