The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

4 minutes ago, goodwin said:

Encouraged by that performance. I think Greg Docherty was the last time we had a midfielder like Sabatinni; a massive upgrade on Miller. Great pressing also. Room for improvement but a good start

Not convinced , I thought we were completely toothless up front and in wide areas,  not really a surprise,   goalscoring will be a major problem this season...

Played some decent stuff, better when O Reilly came on, the young  striker could make all the difference, Gallagher done well when he came on but needs some one to play off , not get much better than Gallagher for winning and holding the ball in this league, Sabatini once again a class above, 

Quite enjoyed that for what it was. Game was (mostly) played at a decent pace and we played some nice stuff at times. Great pressing and if we can keep that up every week against the ham and eggers in League 1 it should lead to plenty of mistakes and chances as a result. Sabatini was excellent once again and looks an unreal find. Defence were solid as always. It was encouraging that a team with such potent attacking options like Alloa were fairly limited in the amount/quality of chances that they had. My one concern is that we lack a real cutting edge. Looking at it optimistically though that will hopefully come with increased game time/sharpness and fingers crossed Kyle Connell will be another gem.  In saying that I thought Gallagher looked sharper than he has done in pre-season when he came on and I'd have liked to have seen Roy get a full game to see if he could have continued his scoring run. Really hope he's not caught a bad one as I thought once again he was 'putting himself about' quite well before he came off. 

Thought we were unlucky with the penalty but them's are the breaks and, while it's a cliche, that's exactly the sort of penalty that will even itself out over the course of the season. 

Hopefully a good win against Stenny on Tuesday and 3 points to kick-off the league season against Peterhead a week on Saturday. 

Edited by airdrieman

30 minutes ago, goodwin said:

Encouraged by that performance. I think Greg Docherty was the last time we had a midfielder like Sabatinni; a massive upgrade on Miller. Great pressing also. Room for improvement but a good start

Other than it being Ross Docherty ( I assume), I agree  and also like Sabatini-he has a look of David Kirkwood . I was amazed to see Paul Mckay as a striker after all the formations we tried out in friendlies. i don't blame the player and he worked hard at it, but if we go 4-4-2 surely Gallagher has to be there. Alloa looked a bit off the pace and the penalty gave them "something to hold on to". We nver really got going out wide and whilst there were good chances in the second half and (I have to hesitate here) the injury to Ally Roy was a blow to him and the attack. On the streaming it took this IT numpty a wee bit to understand "internal error " but the FB guys saved me quite quickly. I do wish Murray would stop tinkering-yet again . 

Not overly disheartened by that thought we played ok especially in spells through the second half all we needed was the goal . Positive sign that coupled with the QOTS result that we can compete with (all be it lower end) championship teams. Agree with people saying Sabatini looks a quality addition. Hope ally Roy’s injury isn’t too bad. I’d imagine that the new signing from Kilmarnock will get a run out next week.

In a game like this and for the rest of the season we will be matched with sides who have have 'more goals' in them. Tonight Alloa played with three players who in their career so far have scored about 360 goals between them at this level. We on the other hand...........

45 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Quite enjoyed that for what it was. Game was (mostly) played at a decent pace and we played some nice stuff at times. Great pressing and if we can keep that up every week against the ham and eggers in League 1 it should lead to plenty of mistakes and chances as a result. Sabatini was excellent once again and looks an unreal find. Defence were solid as always. It was encouraging that a team with such potent attacking options like Alloa were fairly limited in the amount/quality of chances that they had. My one concern is that we lack a real cutting edge. Looking at it optimistically though that will hopefully come with increased game time/sharpness and fingers crossed Kyle Connell will be another gem.  In saying that I thought Gallagher looked sharper than he has done in pre-season when he came on and I'd have liked to have seen Roy get a full game to see if he could have continued his scoring run. Really hope he's not caught a bad one as I thought once again he was 'putting himself about' quite well before he came off. 

Thought we were unlucky with the penalty but them's are the breaks and, while it's a cliche, that's exactly the sort of penalty that will even itself out over the course of the season. 

Hopefully a good win against Stenny on Tuesday and 3 points to kick-off the league season against Peterhead a week on Saturday. 

Who is the ham and eggers in the league,, as I did think some boys played OK with Sabatini  the stand out, I have not seen any evidence in any of our friendlies  that we will set the Heather on fire, it is only my opinion but like last season we don't seem to be able  to link play,, 

9 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Other than it being Ross Docherty ( I assume), I agree  and also like Sabatini-he has a look of David Kirkwood . I was amazed to see Paul Mckay as a striker after all the formations we tried out in friendlies. i don't blame the player and he worked hard at it, but if we go 4-4-2 surely Gallagher has to be there. Alloa looked a bit off the pace and the penalty gave them "something to hold on to". We nver really got going out wide and whilst there were good chances in the second half and (I have to hesitate here) the injury to Ally Roy was a blow to him and the attack. On the streaming it took this IT numpty a wee bit to understand "internal error " but the FB guys saved me quite quickly. I do wish Murray would stop tinkering-yet again . 

Stephen docherty (the doc) was our captain 

It looks like Ally Roy will be out for around 3 months going by Ian Murray’s comments here.

I thought we were ok last night and losing certainly wasn’t a disaster but I think it showed the issues most of us were expecting based on pre-season. Alloa looked much more comfortable on the ball and really controlled the game either side of their goals. I actually thought Airdrie probably edged it in between their goals, there was a spell early in the second half where we looked really good, but on the whole we never did enough going forward. 

I don’t think the Paul McKay up front experiment worked. He’s played all across the defence, right midfield, central midfield and now as a striker, it’s probably about time he finds a settled position for his own sake. I thought Kerr and Sabatini did ok in midfield, Sabatini was excellent during our spells where we looked the better team but seemed to struggle a bit either side of Alloa’s goals when we looked worse, which probably isn’t a coincidence. 

Thomson and Carrick worked hard as always but there was little end product there. O’Reilly looked decent when he came on and certainly tried to impose himself on the game so I’d like to see him start ahead of Thomson against Stenhousemuir. 

Overall, I have strangely few complaints for a defeat, with only the front four needing changed for Tuesday. The seven behind them look pretty settled, so I think it’s now a case of finding the best balance going forward.