The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

6 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

You do say it as you see it, but the way you see it is pessimistic. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that but within 2 pages of comments you've said that based on friendlies "these players are not good enough", the old guard will need to bail us out defensively, no-one else in the league would rush to sign ANY of our players, and the manager isn't good enough to get us out of this league. Forgive me for jumping to the conclusion that you're a bit negative when it comes to Airdrie.

Fair play. I always enjoy a footballing debate. I might not have facts and figures to back up my points but I do mostly always include "IMO" in my posts.

I can kind of see folks point about poor performance in friendlies, but I can also see the point that friendlies don't matter either. I'm in between on it, I'd like to see more than just 1 or 2 standing out in the games, but also if we play well and get beat 2-1, I don't really mind. For instance I couldn't tell you who we played in friendlies last season or the year before that etc. I always like to start the season by giving the manager and squad 9 games before I pass any judgement, lets us see the opposition once, aswell as our own guys.

I do have wee doubts about Robert though, he's arrived with a lot of fanfare and because of the level he was playing at before, his dad, apparent interest from clubs before he signed.  Im being slightly pessimistic but I just think he won't be cut out for Scottish League 1. That's my own personal doubt but as always I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

Aye, suppose your right, it's just that I've been so disappointed with the friendlies not the results  the performance, I can assure you there is nobody wanting Airdrie to do well any more than me, I'll only post the good things going forward, 

59 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Aye, suppose your right, it's just that I've been so disappointed with the friendlies not the results  the performance, I can assure you there is nobody wanting Airdrie to do well any more than me, I'll only post the good things going forward, 

Don't be silly. This is a football forum. It's all about folks opinions.  If we disagree, so be it.  But one thing is for sure  we all have a common love of our club. So Jack, keep posting - moans and all. And I hope your hunches about the forthcoming season are unfounded!!

6 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Don't be silly. This is a football forum. It's all about folks opinions.  If we disagree, so be it.  But one thing is for sure  we all have a common love of our club. So Jack, keep posting - moans and all. And I hope your hunches about the forthcoming season are unfounded!!

Yes, I hope so, don't know what you think, what I have seen in the friendlies is that we would be far more effective if we stuck to short quick passing, forget the big punt, 

Missed most of the game until about 9pm. Logged on but it was a frozen screen but at least I did hear the two friendly uncles steer me along. Having spent many a journey to games with one of them, it does not surprise me about their breadth of knowledge on the football game. Hope the stream works better when the real games start.  As to our prospects  I am expecting a competitive  challenge but I am optimistic, as I have been for nearly all my 50+ seasons.

Edited by Chapelhall chap
spelling error

12 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Yes last season is in the history books. But it's still the best form count we have and it's not a bad one. We have a stronger squad this season too, or don't you agree? Also this season hasn't even started and you're already condemning us to fail. Why? Because of preseason friendly results and performances? Mental. 

Yes I do think we have strengthened in defensive cover and across the midfield, still way short up front, which the club is aware of...

If you want to go down that road, we kept a clean sheet against a team in the league above in the only game where we played our strongest back 4.regardless of how they're expected to fare this season, they're still in the league above. We also never lost a game whilst experimenting heavily and making wholesale changes at half time in all games. Purely a fitness exercise. 

........  Maybe I am old skool in that every game is there to be won and breeds a winning g mentality in a young squad....

I reckon the cup games will see us try out a more settled line up, but I don't really care how we do in those either. It's the league that really matters 

12 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

You won't change your mind and neither will I. Let's just wait and see how the league starts

Looking forward to the Queens Park game a team from a lower division, who appear to have signed a team of championship players.....    Would like to think we would play our strongest team for the majority of this game,   hopefully a win and a performance that I can Happy Clap from the comfort of my armchair......  Onwards and upwards

Looking forward to the Queens Park game a team from a lower division, who appear to have signed a team of championship players.....    Would like to think we would play our strongest team for the majority of this game,   hopefully a win and a performance that I can Happy Clap from the comfort of my armchair......  Onwards and upwards

Will be very interesting to see Queen's Park, not only have they been signing Championship players but they're also giving them full time contracts. I think they'll have an excellent season and it should be a good hard run out for the team on Saturday.

14 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Don't bother changing, as Roger Thornhill said, it's differing views and opinions like yours that keep a healthy debate! I was just surprised you said it wasn't a bit "negative". As me and glenmavis diamond both agree, everyone is entitled to their opinion (unless it's "cowboy" on the old Stomp site, remember him??)

Fwiw I genuinely haven't formed an opinion on this team, probably because we've not had a competitive game yet. We've seen flashes of nice play, we've seen disappointing player performances, brilliant player performances and we've seen some tidy finishes from an unexpected source, but all in glorified kick abouts.

I'll be looking for a step up in the Betfred games, and "professional" performances especially against the 2 lower division teams, from which I would hope for a win in they games. I sense there will be a bit of division for the cup games, half the support will want to go for qualification and the other half will still view them as friendlies. I'm somewhere in between; beat the 2 lower teams and friendlies the other 2 and that will do me.

5 hours ago, el Gringo said:

It will be, subscriptions should be open from around 3pm today. Keep an eye on the socials for an announcement.

Cheers mucker, as always I'll wait until about 5 mins to kick off to rush about and get sorted! I've to be in Galston for 10:30-11 tomorrow then iron Wellie it right back up the road!!

I've got a feeling today will be our toughest test. Yes, Queen's are a league above but I genuinely think QP have bags more quality than that cobbled together queen's team. I really hope Murray puts the strongest (or his opinion of) 11 on the park for the first half and see how they go, then in the second half give minutes to everyone else. It'll be interesting to see this QP team imo as I'm expecting big things from them this season.

15 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I've got a feeling today will be our toughest test. Yes, Queen's are a league above but I genuinely think QP have bags more quality than that cobbled together queen's team. I really hope Murray puts the strongest (or his opinion of) 11 on the park for the first half and see how they go, then in the second half give minutes to everyone else. It'll be interesting to see this QP team imo as I'm expecting big things from them this season.

It will be unusual to see a Queens team with so much quality,   League 1 is probably the best league competitive wise just now,  Queens and the Lowland League will probably be joining in the next 2 to 3 years,   Unless we can get out the league this year, we may have to rely on reconstruction it is getting more difficult year on year.  Not being negative just realistic...

Onto the game we have to ramp our performance up a good 30%,  I feel we have sleepwalked our way through preseason,  patches of good play, flashes of talent,  but every game we struggled to get shots away, create chances  etc,  hopefully today he gives his starting 11 and hour at least before the merry go round of the subs start....

Looks as close to our strongest starting XI and/or the team we'll start the season with as possible although I notice Robert is missing. 

I'm a big fan of Paul McKay though it's hard to argue against Kerr's inclusion based on his pre-season performances. Not convinced about Thomson as a starter - IMO I'd rather have O'Reilly or Robert in there - and the jury is still out on Roy until he can produce it during the real stuff but, like Kerr, hard to argue against his inclusion at this point based on his form during the friendlies. 

Wonder if the the trialist is one of the two we've seen before or a new boy?