The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

With the Cowdenbeath game off, it will be interesting to see what team Murray ends up going with.

I think there is enough quality there, another striker wouldn't hurt. Gallagher will score goals, but needs to stay onside. Roy has done well in the preseason even though I don't rate his efforts last season.

from the last match, the thing that was missing was movement going forward and breaking down the opposition's gameplay and not letting them settle. It was just a friendly, but there were games where we suffered from the exact same issue last season. Let's hope it gets resolved.

Edited by G_H

8 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I don't think last night's squad selection was due to anything other than getting everyone minutes for fitness. We've got several wide players this season and until we sign another striker (if we do) we are a bit limited up front, so I would be very surprised if Gallagher is used out wide in any competitive games, especially considering Murray abandoned that idea fairly early last season (I think Gallagher last played out wide against Elgin in the Challenge Cup before our good run)

6 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

The state of some of these comments. 😂

There's been wholesale substitutions at half time in every game so far. Each half having a reletavely balanced team but none being the final lineup or best team. And I genuinely don't think any were planned to be. Purely fitness and giving everyone minutes and experimenting with a few things in meaningless games from a result perspective. 

QoS game probably saw the closest to an actual league game starting line up. 

I'd like to see a team of

Currie

Mcdonald, Crichton, Fordyce, McCann

Kerr, Sabatini

Robert, Stokes, Carrick

New Striker

Mbayo looks like a solid back up to Crichton and Fordyce. McKay, OReilly and Ritchie will be challenging for a starting spot in midfield. Roy looks up for it this season and needs to prove he can be the man to keep getting the goals. Don't think Gallagher looks fully up for it so far and don't think he's the answer. The club are clearly looking for a new striker so whoever we get, I reckon they will be signed to be the main starter. 

5 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Is that not one of the main points of playing friendlies?  That's the perfect time to experiment to see what works and what doesn't, I'd be disappointed if our gaffer wasn't trying out different formations and tactics during these games tbh.

5 hours ago, TheBuckfastTriangle said:

Yes. Yes it is. Try things out, see how players are fitting in and get a bit of match sharpness into the squad - anyone caring about results and, to a lesser extent performances, in pre-season friendlies is mental.

Completely agree. Some of the comments are bordering on hysterical. Last night in terms of team selection and performance was typical pre-season fair (and typical of players who haven't played football in 6 months+) and doesn't matter one bit. There's no chance the team that started last night will be our starting XI come opening day and everybody from the fans to Ian Murray knows that. I can guarantee however this season goes you won't remember one thing about any of the pre-season games because they're totally immaterial to how the season will go in terms of results.  Just enjoy the friendlies for what they are - a chance to see your team finally play again, to play spot the trialist and a chance for the players to increase their fitness and match sharpness. 

Edited by airdrieman

1 hour ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Exactly. Some people have selective memories for stuff like this to suit their point. Find me a manager who doesn't change his team when results aren't going his way? Murray did that, then found a winning combination and stuck with it. Nowt wrong with that. 

For those with short memories, we were 3rd and still in with a shout of winning the league prior to lock down calling an early half to last season. 

In my opinion, we have an even stronger squad this season, which Murray, Millar and board deserve a lot of credit fo

Wish I had your faith in Murray and Millar, 

25 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Is it? Really? Maybe for you but not for me. 

Do you not think top 4 minimum in a 10 team league in the third tier of Scottish Football after spending 2 years building your own team ...  I don't think there are excuses for fai!ure this season ,    maybe as a support we have lost our expectation and drive for success after numerous years of shiteness....  

In my own opinion i think we will be fighting for 3 , 4 ,5 th place this season with Tbistle and Falkirk sailing off into the sunset at New year..... The bookies may be right are they ever wrong at this level...

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Do you not think top 4 minimum in a 10 team league in the third tier of Scottish Football after spending 2 years building your own team ...  I don't think there are excuses for fai!ure this season ,    maybe as a support we have lost our expectation and drive for success after numerous years of shiteness....  

In my own opinion i think we will be fighting for 3 , 4 ,5 th place this season with Tbistle and Falkirk sailing off into the sunset at New year..... The bookies may be right are they ever wrong at this level...

Yes I do think top 4 minimum. Did we not achieve that last season, whilst still being in with a shout of winning the league? I expect we will achieve top 4 again this season.  So for me, it's not a case of the jury being out. Don't think it is either for you though as you already seem convinced we will fail by saying Falkirk and Thistle will be well clear by Christmas. Before a competitive ball has even been kicked. Optimism at its best. 

4 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Yes I do think top 4 minimum. Did we not achieve that last season, whilst still being in with a shout of winning the league? I expect we will achieve top 4 again this season.  So for me, it's not a case of the jury being out. Don't think it is either for you though as you already seem convinced we will fail by saying Falkirk and Thistle will be well clear by Christmas. Before a competitive ball has even been kicked. Optimism at its best. 

Optimism or realism....  My main disappointment is with the recent  performances in pre season,  scores are irrelevant,   we hardly created a chance against queens and the Rovers,   queens are favourites for the drop and to be honest I am sure Rovers fans would bite your hand off to stay in their league this season.....

Jury is well and truly out this season....   Last season is in the history books....

I’d line up ...

Currie

McDonald Crighton dycey Mccann

McKay Sabatini

Robert Carrick Oreilly

Gallagher

Think the defence will take care of itself only Falkirk conceded less than us last season . Hutton and currie both more than capable at this level. Crighton and fordyce are two of the better cbs in the league. Think Sabatini sitting next to McKay is probably an upgrade on wedderburn/ Miller . Going forward is where I have concern. Think we’ve seen glimpses of oreilly and Robert taking people on in the friendlies so hopefully they can chip in with goals provide service for the strikers. Think carrick would be good in the number 10 role linking up play and chipping in with goals . The main problem I see is who plays the traditional number 9 role and scores the goals we need. I rate Gallagher and think there could be a player in Roy but for a successful season we need 20 odd goals out of one of them unless we bring someone else in. The 5 sub rule is interesting as we can chop and change as the game progresses and disrupt other teams.

As I’ve mentioned I’d take 4th place if offered now. I think it’s obvious the league will be harder than last year and partick and Falkirk will be favourites with much bigger budgets than us. I’d like to think we could keep up with them but A playoff place has to be the minimum requirement once again. Couldn’t really care less about cup competitions but would be good to go into the Peterhead game with a bit of momentum.

12 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

So how do you figure that when last season he played as part of a front 3.......

Because it's IMO. That's why.

You seem to be looking for an arguement or want to pick holes in people opinion with comments like "the state of some of these comments" etc . Just relax man, it's a football board, I don't agree with a lot of the stuff I read on here, but at the end of the day, that's what someone else thinks, and I respect that. If the boy Jack Reed wants to be a bit negative, fine. If you want to be a happy clapper, that's also fine. Absolutely your choice 👍

8 hours ago, Passionate said:

Optimism or realism....  My main disappointment is with the recent  performances in pre season,  scores are irrelevant,   we hardly created a chance against queens and the Rovers,   queens are favourites for the drop and to be honest I am sure Rovers fans would bite your hand off to stay in their league this season.....

Jury is well and truly out this season....   Last season is in the history books....

Yes last season is in the history books. But it's still the best form count we have and it's not a bad one. We have a stronger squad this season too, or don't you agree? Also this season hasn't even started and you're already condemning us to fail. Why? Because of preseason friendly results and performances? Mental. 

If you want to go down that road, we kept a clean sheet against a team in the league above in the only game where we played our strongest back 4.regardless of how they're expected to fare this season, they're still in the league above. We also never lost a game whilst experimenting heavily and making wholesale changes at half time in all games. Purely a fitness exercise. 

I reckon the cup games will see us try out a more settled line up, but I don't really care how we do in those either. It's the league that really matters 

You won't change your mind and neither will I. Let's just wait and see how the league starts. 

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

You seem to be looking for an arguement or want to pick holes in people opinion with comments like "the state of some of these comments" etc . Just relax man, it's a football board, I don't agree with a lot of the stuff I read on here, but at the end of the day, that's what someone else thinks, and I respect that. If the boy Jack Reed wants to be a bit negative, fine. If you want to be a happy clapper, that's also fine. Absolutely your choice 👍

Agree, everyone is entitled to an opinion. As am I. My opinion is that some of the comments have been laughable so far, given its still preseason. Not looking for an argument but a discussion, a debate if you will. Nowt wrong with that and I have no issue with people disagreeing with me. 👍 

I'm far from being a happy clapper, but I will always start each season supporting the team, hoping for the best and trying not to expect the worst. If it goes tits up, I'll be one of the first to say so. But so far I'm happy enough with how preseason has been and our recruitment looks decent. Just hope we can add another striker as I think we need one. 

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Negative, no, I say it as I see it, want the best for Airdrie and don't think present manager is going to get us out this league, it is only my opinion, as a example some see Roy as a player, I don't, our defence seems fine  but apart from Sabatini other teams in our league would not be rushing to aquire the services of any of the rest, hopethe manager plays what he thinks is his strongest team on sat, then maybe get a better look as to where we are, 

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Negative, no, I say it as I see it, want the best for Airdrie and don't think present manager is going to get us out this league, it is only my opinion, as a example some see Roy as a player, I don't, our defence seems fine  but apart from Sabatini other teams in our league would not be rushing to aquire the services of any of the rest, hopethe manager plays what he thinks is his strongest team on sat, then maybe get a better look as to where we are, 

You do say it as you see it, but the way you see it is pessimistic. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that but within 2 pages of comments you've said that based on friendlies "these players are not good enough", the old guard will need to bail us out defensively, no-one else in the league would rush to sign ANY of our players, and the manager isn't good enough to get us out of this league. Forgive me for jumping to the conclusion that you're a bit negative when it comes to Airdrie.

2 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Agree, everyone is entitled to an opinion. As am I. My opinion is that some of the comments have been laughable so far, given its still preseason. Not looking for an argument but a discussion, a debate if you will. Nowt wrong with that and I have no issue with people disagreeing with me. 👍 

I'm far from being a happy clapper, but I will always start each season supporting the team, hoping for the best and trying not to expect the worst. If it goes tits up, I'll be one of the first to say so. But so far I'm happy enough with how preseason has been and our recruitment looks decent. Just hope we can add another striker as I think we need one. 

Fair play. I always enjoy a footballing debate. I might not have facts and figures to back up my points but I do mostly always include "IMO" in my posts.

I can kind of see folks point about poor performance in friendlies, but I can also see the point that friendlies don't matter either. I'm in between on it, I'd like to see more than just 1 or 2 standing out in the games, but also if we play well and get beat 2-1, I don't really mind. For instance I couldn't tell you who we played in friendlies last season or the year before that etc. I always like to start the season by giving the manager and squad 9 games before I pass any judgement, lets us see the opposition once, aswell as our own guys.

I do have wee doubts about Robert though, he's arrived with a lot of fanfare and because of the level he was playing at before, his dad, apparent interest from clubs before he signed.  Im being slightly pessimistic but I just think he won't be cut out for Scottish League 1. That's my own personal doubt but as always I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

Edited by ++Ammo - Airdrie++

Pretty guff game to watch, but I expect us to start the season much closer to the QOS game than that one. My report-

https://www.idlehandsduffy.com/post/diamond-watches-airdrieonians-1-1-albion-rovers

There's been some histrionics on here which isn't surprising but as many have also pointed out, we've gotten what any team wants out of pre-season; a series of games that allowed all the players to get minutes under their belts, no injuries picked up and a few things tried out. 

We were solid defensively last season, second least goals conceded, and carried a threat, 5th most goals scored, but you're hoping we can improve that second part. Our home form, too, let us down; top of the away form table, 5th on home form. 

Transfer markt tells me we've got the largest squad but also the youngest in the division, which is interesting if accurate. We've only lost Smith and Roberts from the players who made major contributions last season, so you're wanting to get the same again from defenders, at least the same again from Gallagher and Carrick and a bit more from the midfield and subs bench. We'll have to see how Thistle and Falkirk go, but as it stands I don't see why we can't be doing as least as well as we did last year, given the state of the squad right now. 

Cannae wait for the real stuff to start. Appetite thoroughly whetted. 

43 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

You do say it as you see it, but the way you see it is pessimistic. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that but within 2 pages of comments you've said that based on friendlies "these players are not good enough", the old guard will need to bail us out defensively, no-one else in the league would rush to sign ANY of our players, and the manager isn't good enough to get us out of this league. Forgive me for jumping to the conclusion that you're a bit negative when it comes to Airdrie.

Fair play. I always enjoy a footballing debate. I might not have facts and figures to back up my points but I do mostly always include "IMO" in my posts.

I can kind of see folks point about poor performance in friendlies, but I can also see the point that friendlies don't matter either. I'm in between on it, I'd like to see more than just 1 or 2 standing out in the games, but also if we play well and get beat 2-1, I don't really mind. For instance I couldn't tell you who we played in friendlies last season or the year before that etc. I always like to start the season by giving the manager and squad 9 games before I pass any judgement, lets us see the opposition once, aswell as our own guys.

I do have wee doubts about Robert though, he's arrived with a lot of fanfare and because of the level he was playing at before, his dad, apparent interest from clubs before he signed.  Im being slightly pessimistic but I just think he won't be cut out for Scottish League 1. That's my own personal doubt but as always I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

Agreed, I can't remember who we played in previous seasons friendlies either. They serve the purpose of fitness and experimentation, trying new players, nothing more. 

Robert is definitely a player of ability, but let's not forget he is still young and doesn't have 1st team experience so has a lot of learning to do. That's why he joined us, instead of going to a bigger club and sitting on the bench or playing U23 games. He will learn more playing league 1 and he will often learn the hard way. However, he's shows flashes of excellent ability and I am quietly confident he will come on leaps and bounds in a more settled team when the real action starts. In my opinion. 😉

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

1 hour ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Agreed, I can't remember who we played in previous seasons friendlies either. They serve the purpose of fitness and experimentation, trying new players, nothing more. 

Robert is definitely a player of ability, but let's not forget he is still young and doesn't have 1st team experience so has a lot of learning to do. That's why he joined us, instead of going to a bigger club and sitting on the bench or playing U23 games. He will learn more playing league 1 and he will often learn the hard way. However, he's shows flashes of excellent ability and I am quietly confident he will come on leaps and bounds in a more settled team when the real action starts. In my opinion. 😉

Yeah, i think Robert has been, well, 'intermittently exciting' was how I described him in my report on Tuesday's game. You can see in flashes the real talent there, his close control can be excellent, he has vision, intent, good low centre of gravity too. A few tricks and flicks and some good passes. But you can tell he's a young player, as well, which pretyy much always spells inconsistency. He's here for a first taste of first team football and we need to be patient. I think impact sub might be how we utilise him at least to begin with. When there's a bit more space later in the game, when opposition players might already have a yellow and cannae risk getting right stuck into him, he could be a match winner. 

He's probably the player  in the squad with a bit of magic in his boots that could turn a game, and he's only had a few halves of football with us. I still think there have been enough glimpses of his talent to be optimistic for what we'll see from him over the course of the season. 

45 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Yeah, i think Robert has been, well, 'intermittently exciting' was how I described him in my report on Tuesday's game. You can see in flashes the real talent there, his close control can be excellent, he has vision, intent, good low centre of gravity too. A few tricks and flicks and some good passes. But you can tell he's a young player, as well, which pretyy much always spells inconsistency. He's here for a first taste of first team football and we need to be patient. I think impact sub might be how we utilise him at least to begin with. When there's a bit more space later in the game, when opposition players might already have a yellow and cannae risk getting right stuck into him, he could be a match winner. 

He's probably the player  in the squad with a bit of magic in his boots that could turn a game, and he's only had a few halves of football with us. I still think there have been enough glimpses of his talent to be optimistic for what we'll see from him over the course of the season. 

Agreed, we've seen very little of him so far and he will take time to settle. 

I'll never forget that Dennis Bergkamp didn't score in his first 7 games for Arsenal. Thank God he didn't play for Airdrie as we'd have binned him by then. 😂