The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

8 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

The tinkerman approach is really worrying from Murray. That was a dreadful, disjointed performance tonight. Sabitini made a difference second half, Mbayo was good and Kerr has had a decent preseason. Very little else to be excited about just now. Bit worrying truth told. We need a system asap.

Manager done same last season, the worrying thing is he does not seem to know his best team, play players In their position, some of the players last night are just not good enough, long punts from keeper and defenders to boys upfront that never won one, misplaced passes in every game we have played so far , Old guard defence will have to save us from most teams in our own league, apart from Sabatini we are not good any place else , going by our friendlies, 

I don't think last night's squad selection was due to anything other than getting everyone minutes for fitness. We've got several wide players this season and until we sign another striker (if we do) we are a bit limited up front, so I would be very surprised if Gallagher is used out wide in any competitive games, especially considering Murray abandoned that idea fairly early last season (I think Gallagher last played out wide against Elgin in the Challenge Cup before our good run)

55 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I don't think last night's squad selection was due to anything other than getting everyone minutes for fitness. We've got several wide players this season and until we sign another striker (if we do) we are a bit limited up front, so I would be very surprised if Gallagher is used out wide in any competitive games, especially considering Murray abandoned that idea fairly early last season (I think Gallagher last played out wide against Elgin in the Challenge Cup before our good run)

I think (and hope) that also. With the glut of wide players available it can only be to get fitness up.

Based on what we've seen so far and who is available, I'd possibly like to see something like...

,.................... ............Currie.......................,.........

MacDonald, crighton, Fordyce, McCann

,................Kerr...................Sabatini.................

Stokes.............Carrick.....,.............O'Reilly

.................Roy or Gallagher.............

Only IMO.

Edited by ++Ammo - Airdrie++

8 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I think (and hope) that also. With the glut of wide players available it can only be to get fitness up.

Based on what we've seen so far and who is available, I'd possibly like to see something like...

,.................... ............Currie.......................,.........

MacDonald, crighton, Fordyce, McCann

,................Kerr...................Sabatini.................

Stokes.............Carrick.....,.............O'Reilly

.................Roy..................Gallagher.............

Only IMO.

I’d also like to see this, we’d definitely win more games with an extra man!

I pretty much agree with the players you’ve chosen. The back four pick themselves, Kerr and Sabatini have looked good in midfield together, Carrick was our best wide player last season and we need at least one of Gallagher and Roy up front. I’d probably go with Currie ahead of Hutton too. Hopefully Murray has a better idea of his best team as we seem to have a lot of midfield/attacking options who are all broadly of the same standard.

17 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I’d also like to see this, we’d definitely win more games with an extra man!

I pretty much agree with the players you’ve chosen. The back four pick themselves, Kerr and Sabatini have looked good in midfield together, Carrick was our best wide player last season and we need at least one of Gallagher and Roy up front. I’d probably go with Currie ahead of Hutton too. Hopefully Murray has a better idea of his best team as we seem to have a lot of midfield/attacking options who are all broadly of the same standard.

Noted and fixed!

The only other thing would maybe be dropping Kerr and going with 2 up top but Kerr's done nothing to warrant being dropped yet! Only one man can decide what's best....

The state of some of these comments. 😂

There's been wholesale substitutions at half time in every game so far. Each half having a reletavely balanced team but none being the final lineup or best team. And I genuinely don't think any were planned to be. Purely fitness and giving everyone minutes and experimenting with a few things in meaningless games from a result perspective. 

QoS game probably saw the closest to an actual league game starting line up. 

I'd like to see a team of

Currie

Mcdonald, Crichton, Fordyce, McCann

Kerr, Sabatini

Robert, Stokes, Carrick

New Striker

Mbayo looks like a solid back up to Crichton and Fordyce. McKay, OReilly and Ritchie will be challenging for a starting spot in midfield. Roy looks up for it this season and needs to prove he can be the man to keep getting the goals. Don't think Gallagher looks fully up for it so far and don't think he's the answer. The club are clearly looking for a new striker so whoever we get, I reckon they will be signed to be the main starter. 

The club are clearly looking for a new striker so whoever we get, I reckon they will be signed to be the main starter. 

I really hope this is the case. I think with Currie we've got an improvement on last season, and our defence is virtually the same as last season so not much to worry about there. I'm maybe jumping the gun and others may disagree but I feel like our most used midfielders this pre-season (Kerr, Sabatini, McKay, Stokes) look better than our most used midfielders last season (Wedderburn, Millar, McKay, Roberts) so hopefully that's an improvement. Definitely got a lot more options to play in wide areas this time around but I think we may still be missing something up front. As things stand I think Callum Smith would start in our best eleven if we still had him, so that's definitely an area that needs looked at for me.

40 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I really hope this is the case. I think with Currie we've got an improvement on last season, and our defence is virtually the same as last season so not much to worry about there. I'm maybe jumping the gun and others may disagree but I feel like our most used midfielders this pre-season (Kerr, Sabatini, McKay, Stokes) look better than our most used midfielders last season (Wedderburn, Millar, McKay, Roberts) so hopefully that's an improvement. Definitely got a lot more options to play in wide areas this time around but I think we may still be missing something up front. As things stand I think Callum Smith would start in our best eleven if we still had him, so that's definitely an area that needs looked at for me.

We definitely need a competent striker, but what has been obvious over the 3 games is the lack of support in the opposition penalty box, we rarely have more than 2 players in potential goalscoring positions in the box,  consistently rovers and even queens had 4 or 5 players hunting a goal,   This is purely down to the setup,   Kerr is a fine player and will probably end up at livvy or the well in the near future,  do we need a solely defensive midfielder in league 1  ??,   This formation may well work in the championship, but we somehow need to get there first.....   Personally not been impressed with the 90 min performances over the preseason games,  although some players have stood out. Kerr, Sabatini and Stokes although I don't think you can play all 3 in the same midfield, unless we play a strict 4 5 1,  which as I said before will not get you enough goals to get out this league....

14 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

The tinkerman approach is really worrying from Murray. That was a dreadful, disjointed performance tonight. Sabitini made a difference second half, Mbayo was good and Kerr has had a decent preseason. Very little else to be excited about just now. Bit worrying truth told. We need a system asap.

Is that not one of the main points of playing friendlies?  That's the perfect time to experiment to see what works and what doesn't, I'd be disappointed if our gaffer wasn't trying out different formations and tactics during these games tbh.

15 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Is that not one of the main points of playing friendlies?  That's the perfect time to experiment to see what works and what doesn't, I'd be disappointed if our gaffer wasn't trying out different formations and tactics during these games tbh.

Yes. Yes it is. Try things out, see how players are fitting in and get a bit of match sharpness into the squad - anyone caring about results and, to a lesser extent performances, in pre-season friendlies is mental.

25 minutes ago, Passionate said:

We definitely need a competent striker, but what has been obvious over the 3 games is the lack of support in the opposition penalty box, we rarely have more than 2 players in potential goalscoring positions in the box,  consistently rovers and even queens had 4 or 5 players hunting a goal,   This is purely down to the setup,   Kerr is a fine player and will probably end up at livvy or the well in the near future,  do we need a solely defensive midfielder in league 1  ??,   This formation may well work in the championship, but we somehow need to get there first.....   Personally not been impressed with the 90 min performances over the preseason games,  although some players have stood out. Kerr, Sabatini and Stokes although I don't think you can play all 3 in the same midfield, unless we play a strict 4 5 1,  which as I said before will not get you enough goals to get out this league....

100% this. Our top 2 scorers last year hit 27 goals between them (with Smith adding a further 6) but our lack of goals from elsewhere has been the biggest concern for me for a while. Whether it's goals from supporting midfielders or from defenders at set pieces we could do with a few others chipping in this year as, for me, that's what will make the biggest difference.

Worth noting that Calum Gallagher has 14 goals in 26 starts desppite having been played out wide at the start of last year, so maybe our "goal every other game" striker could be found a bit closer to home. 

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Yes, yes it is and yes, you would be right, if he didn't do the same bullshit for more or less the entirety of last season too...

2 hours ago, TheBuckfastTriangle said:

Yes. Yes it is. Try things out, see how players are fitting in and get a bit of match sharpness into the squad - anyone caring about results and, to a lesser extent performances, in pre-season friendlies is mental.

Got to admit then, I like to see a good performance and to win, 

1 hour ago, TheBuckfastTriangle said:

100% this. Our top 2 scorers last year hit 27 goals between them (with Smith adding a further 6) but our lack of goals from elsewhere has been the biggest concern for me for a while. Whether it's goals from supporting midfielders or from defenders at set pieces we could do with a few others chipping in this year as, for me, that's what will make the biggest difference.

Worth noting that Calum Gallagher has 14 goals in 26 starts desppite having been played out wide at the start of last year, so maybe our "goal every other game" striker could be found a bit closer to home. 

I've mentioned in a few posts before Gallagher is our most natural finisher, proven goalscorer in this league and his ONLY position is part of a 2 upfront.  He's got a habit of getting himself in the right place at the right time (see Falkirk away, last minute winner last season) but he's also got a bit of flair in his locker (overhead against Clyde, top corner effort against bohemians). I like him I really do and hope he grasps his chance again this year when played upfront because he, at present, is our best hope for a 20+ goal man, which will hopefully be achieveable with improved service!

2 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

We played the same starting 11 and formation for about 10 games in a row last season?

Exactly. Some people have selective memories for stuff like this to suit their point. Find me a manager who doesn't change his team when results aren't going his way? Murray did that, then found a winning combination and stuck with it. Nowt wrong with that. 

For those with short memories, we were 3rd and still in with a shout of winning the league prior to lock down calling an early half to last season. 

In my opinion, we have an even stronger squad this season, which Murray, Millar and board deserve a lot of credit for. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond