The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

16 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Camera's been absolutely fine tonight. Not sure if that's a good thing or not, does it mean it's fixed or does it mean the one time Pixellot watch it to work out the issues it looks like it's been fine all along?

Yeah the picture seems a lot clearer tonight. There’s been a few instances of the camera not keeping up with play but it’s generally very quick to catch up and we’re seeing a lot less of David Hutton. 

The commentary is very slightly out of sync for me too but that’s not a huge issue, particularly when the commentary itself is really good by club commentary standards. They strike a good balance between being personable, informative and unbiased. Certainly a bit more interesting than Kelty’s commentator from the other week and less embarrassing than some of the other very excitable club specific commentators (Falkirk come to mind).

Yeah the picture seems a lot clearer tonight. There’s been a few instances of the camera not keeping up with play but it’s generally very quick to catch up and we’re seeing a lot less of David Hutton. 
The commentary is very slightly out of sync for me too but that’s not a huge issue, particularly when the commentary itself is really good by club commentary standards. They strike a good balance between being personable, informative and unbiased. Certainly a bit more interesting than Kelty’s commentator from the other week and less embarrassing than some of the other very excitable club specific commentators (Falkirk come to mind).

Commentary has been out of sync (I knew the Rovers had scored the penalty before I seen the ball hit) but the overall quality of the commentary has been excellent in my opinion

I had nothing better to do with my evening so I watched the match. If that's the calibre of the service Airdrieonians are providing for the season ahead, I'd be pretty happy. There are a couple of issues to iron out (there were a couple of times when the camera failed to track the action and, towards the end, the commentary was out of sync) but other than that, I could watch the game without any bother at all.

The best aspect of the product is the commentary - I felt like I was watching the match with two pleasant uncles. Mr November above me sums up their performance well. It wasn't a great match but their back and forth, discussing opposition players' histories and talking about how they're pals with a Rovers player's da, really added to the experience.

As for the game, there's not much to say. Thought Harlain Mbayo strolled through it, and the trialist striker was rubbish.

1 minute ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I had nothing better to do with my evening so I watched the match. If that's the calibre of the service Airdrieonians are providing for the season ahead, I'd be pretty happy. There are a couple of issues to iron out (there were a couple of times when the camera failed to track the action and, towards the end, the commentary was out of sync) but other than that, I could watch the game without any bother at all.

The best aspect of the product is the commentary - I felt like I was watching the match with two pleasant uncles. Mr November above me sums up their performance well. It wasn't a great match but their back and forth, discussing opposition players' histories and talking about how they're pals with a Rovers player's da, really added to the experience.

As for the game, there's not much to say. Thought Harlain Mbayo strolled through it, and the trialist striker was rubbish.

The stream went really smoothly tonight, which is a bit surprising because the camera last two games has been poor, so hopefully more of the same. Mbayo impressed me, he was more comfortable than I expected, but I thought the standout was Griffin Sabatini who was excellent after coming on at half time. Other than his goal I thought Gallagher was quite poor, and Stokes fared much better in last week's game against the Rovers than he did in a deeper role this time around. On the whole there's still work to be done in terms of footballing performance and in terms of the camerawork, but promising signs from both.

Camera much better tonight.   Couple of little slow parts and again wanders if if ball not returned to play quickly.   Over all much better.

Sadly cant say the same for the game.  As has been said previously it's a preseason friendly so cant read to much into it.  Also have played them the week previously.  

Things from tonight     Gallagher is not a winger.  1st half looked much better when he came into the middle and got his goal from getting himself into the box.    Big mbayo looked solid 2and half and a bomb scare 1st half.  Ritchie has played 3 game and 3 different positions.   Good to see we have guy who can cover different positions.  Tough shift for the trialist as lone striker 1st half the very little service.   If in doubt long ball tactic didn't work last year and isnt working again this year.  One more preseason game to go and still pretty much same problem as last season creating chances.   Still plenty more to come. 

2 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Did the other trialist even come on?

I know one was n a med on the bench,  I think it was an error,    The trialist on Saturday looked not bad,   don't think we will tonight's trialist again or I hope not reminded me of Kevin schmidt...

Got to agree streaming a lot better, thought the team were poor, hard to work out mangers way of thinking, how ever as you say it's only a friendly, doest matter a jot, personally we better find some football  from some where or we are in trouble  I know only the 4th game and on about the team, we are supposed to get better with games not worse, 

We were rank rotten. Rovers looked the more likely team at the end. A lot of people say it’s only a friendly but the obvious problems show themselves anyway. Our strongest defence will do ok. However, further up the field we continue to have problems. We have no decent midfield (apart from the classy Sabatini) and we will struggle to score goals. Robert continues to disappoint me. I thought the trialist centre was the same guy as last game but even if it was two different people (they or he) are, or is, pretty useless. I know Roy has started the season scoring well but based on last season I’ll be surprised if that continues.

No way will we be challenging for promotion.

The Rev I M Jolly.

Brian on comms names A View From The Terrace as his favourite TV programme. Compliments all round!

The tinkerman approach is really worrying from Murray. That was a dreadful, disjointed performance tonight. Sabitini made a difference second half, Mbayo was good and Kerr has had a decent preseason. Very little else to be excited about just now. Bit worrying truth told. We need a system asap.

34 minutes ago, waysider said:

We were rank rotten. Rovers looked the more likely team at the end. A lot of people say it’s only a friendly but the obvious problems show themselves anyway. Our strongest defence will do ok. However, further up the field we continue to have problems. We have no decent midfield (apart from the classy Sabatini) and we will struggle to score goals. Robert continues to disappoint me. I thought the trialist centre was the same guy as last game but even if it was two different people (they or he) are, or is, pretty useless. I know Roy has started the season scoring well but based on last season I’ll be surprised if that continues.

No way will we be challenging for promotion.

The Rev I jolly

Said it all 

I’ll join in the praise of the two commentators thought they done a great job. Not trying to be Johnathon Pearce scream a likes but a couple of pals talking through the game. It was a dire watch though. Mbayo was decent and should be an able deputy for Crichton and Fordyce. Two full backs pick themselves. I think Kerr is being set up to be first choice centre mid with Sabatini (if Willie McKay allows it). Midfield flows better with those two tho not sure it gives the same defensive cover. Stokes looks good playing in a front three. Really disappointed in Gallagher today first touch and passing was abysmal. He gives us nothing out on the right. He scored though which is what he’s there for if played centrally. Bit of a mixed bag with the remainder. Know what you’ll get from Carrick and that’s about it so far. Saturday may give us a better idea of Murray’s preferred starting 11 and formation and the league cup is effectively pre season also so a while to go before the real stuff kicks in.

Thoughts after watching the first 4 games.

Pixellot - I was pulling my hair out with it on Saturday but it was much better tonight. Picture sharpness and contrast were much better. Commentary is really good albeit slightly out of sync with the footage as others have mentioned.

Robert - Underwhelming so far, hope he'll come good.

Sabatini - Has had the cigar out in the majority of games. Very composed and always looking for a forward pass. A stand out.

Stokes - Was impressed with him in the first game against the Rovers (his turn and finish was sublime) but was a little off the pace against QOS and didn't see much of him tonight.

Mbayo - Was a rock tonight but will have to go some to replace our stalward pairing at the back.

Trialists - Both shite based on the 45 mins or less that we've seen of them, especially the one that played tonight.

In all honesty, there wasn't too much to get excited about tonight but it's early days so I'm keeping the faith that we'll kick on!!

Can't really add to what's already been said, but I'll try.

The worrying thing for me about Callum Gallagher playing out on the right last night, was that Murray just trying to shoehorn him in for minutes for the sake of it? I know we've got a few guys who can play a couple of different positions (stokes, Carrick, Fordyce, MacDonald etc) but Gallagher is absolutely not one of these guys. He's a striker, and preferably the poaching finishing half of a front 2.  We seen from the goal exactly what he offers, and it been the same since he signed! I seriously hope that was just a "fitness excercise" and nothing more, especially with Robert, Thomson, O'Reilly and even Carrick in that squad who i'd have had there Infront of Callum.

Mbayo was fairly solid but there's always a wee nagging doubt just sitting in the back of my mind that he could literally fall over the ball at anytime, but so far he's been ok on the games I've seen him.

Most folk know about Sabatini, looks a pl'er. Robert, apart from the goal looks to be struggling a wee bit but I'm not writing him off just yet, and that was probably stokes worst game, hopefully he can pick it back up starting on saturday.

All in all, more minutes in the tank and I'd like to see is start the next friendly with what Murray thinks is our strongest possible 11, even for only the first half.