The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Wouldn’t read anything in to it anyway . We could be getting a Gary mackay Steven or a danny bo both came from EPL youth systems [emoji23]

As far the result a bit more encouraging and good to see ally Roy get another goal. Should get a chance in the starting 11 of the cup games imo

3 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I don't see how anyone can attempt to analyse his goalscoring record when he's only played youth level in England up until now. His ability is completely unknown to us right now.

Won't stop some people though. The usuals will always look to moan about something. 👍

I don't see how anyone can attempt to analyse his goalscoring record when he's only played youth level in England up until now. His ability is completely unknown to us right now.

We are entitled to a opinion though, same as yourself 

Because if his record is this, which means he struggles to score at youth level with about 1 goal per 5 games as a forward, do you think he will magically be any better at senior level? Especially in a team like Airdrie playing at counter attacking and having to make sure chances get taken:

Competition Played Scored Assists Min per Goal Mins Played
Total : 49 8 4 270 2.163
Premier League 2 Premier League 2 23 3 2 369 1.106
U18 Premier League U18 Premier League 18 4 2 164 654
U18 Premier League - Final Stage U18 PL - Final Stage 7 1 - 388 388
FA Youth Cup FA Youth Cup 1 - - - 15
League One League One - - - - -
Edited by G_H

2 minutes ago, G_H said:

Because if his record is this, which means he struggles to score at youth level, do you think he will magically be better at senior level:

Premier League 2 Premier League 2 23 3 2 369 1.106
U18 Premier League U18 Premier League 18 4 2 164 654
U18 Premier League - Final Stage U18 PL - Final Stage 7 1 - 388 388
FA Youth Cup FA Youth Cup 1 - - - 15
League One League One - - - - -

That's all I said, his stats did not look good, thought that's what you get a guide from, 

Because if his record is this, which means he struggles to score at youth level with about 1 goal per 5 games as a forward, do you think he will magically be any better at senior level? Especially in a team like Airdrie playing at counter attacking and having to make sure chances get taken:
gb21.png?lm=1494065674&key=0cbbef983725c Premier League 2 23 3 2 369 1.106
gb18.png?lm=1525423312&key=bed6d28c83b36 U18 Premier League 18 4 2 164 654
18gb.png?lm=1525423198&key=e10608df1b536 U18 PL - Final Stage 7 1 - 388 388
fayc.png?lm=1457361863&key=44943204fa5fd FA Youth Cup 1 - - - 15
gb3.png?lm=1466594034&key=965fac56b80eb0 League One - - - - -

I couldn't begin to understand the level of those reserve/youth competitions or how seriously they're taken, and I doubt any of us here know much more. It means nothing.

2 hours ago, G_H said:

yep, how dare people have opinions, especially based on statistics!

Statistics of a league we know heehaw about from a level perspective, of a 20yr old. Hardly concise enough data to form a solid opinion on. Here's a crazy idea. How's about we give the guy a chance? 

So far I'd say we've built a pretty decent squad and are doing well avoiding the usual dross of our level. We've found a couple of good prospects and this guy might be another one. 

13 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Statistics of a league we know heehaw about from a level perspective, of a 20yr old. Hardly concise enough data to form a solid opinion on. Here's a crazy idea. How's about we give the guy a chance? 

So far I'd say we've built a pretty decent squad and are doing well avoiding the usual dross of our level. We've found a couple of good prospects and this guy might be another one. 

Kevin Nesbit on loan to Dumbarton played 13, scored 0. Next season, Raith took a punt -  played 46, scored 34.  Just shows you about stats...

Kevin Nesbit on loan to Dumbarton played 13, scored 0. Next season, Raith took a punt -  played 46, scored 34.  Just shows you about stats...

Agreed . Allan Russell a prime example never really kicked a ball anywhere with poor stats to match. Pretty sure we were warned he’d be hopeless. However, he turned out to be one of the most complete goal scoring forwards - in my time supporting airdrie anyway .

Ok it's decision time for the team selection the 3 positions and players may be still to be decided.

GK.......Hutton or Currie

Hutton  steady keeper

Mid......  Kerr or McKay

Kerr. Although McKay is always a goal threat unlike Kerr

Striker......  Roy or Gallagher

Gallagher our most consistent scorer,  ideally would like another option

Thoughts folks.....

12 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Very true!! The only stats that matter will be his stats for the mighty Diamonds. If he actually signs that is!

That's what matters to us anyway, Russell had scored a few goals here and there , Nesbit was a prolific goal scorer at youth level, It would be great if our trialist turns out to be another Coyle, The concern for me was we have had so many young lads that we were happy to sign, then they just seem to go off the radar, 

Callum Smith's record isn't too clever either (about 7 in 70) but we all know what he brought to the party with his workrate etc.

I get that stats only show you half the story, and I'd have loved Callum smith to stay as well.  As mentioned before I'll own up to slaughtering ally Roy last year, and I still stand by it being deserved, but genuinely I'd love be to think he's used the time off, and all the criticism from last year from all angles, he's used it to become a better, fitter, sharper, braver player and hopefully he'll have a massive part to play at this club over the next few years.

Ammo makes a good point - there are forwards who don't score many goals themselves, but if they create good opportunities for the other attacking players, can latch onto a through ball and hold onto it for long enough to bring the others into play etc., then they can be just as important.  If a player scores only five goals himself, but creates twenty for the players around him, that's a valuable contribution. 

50 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Ammo makes a good point - there are forwards who don't score many goals themselves, but if they create good opportunities for the other attacking players, can latch onto a through ball and hold onto it for long enough to bring the others into play etc., then they can be just as important.  If a player scores only five goals himself, but creates twenty for the players around him, that's a valuable contribution. 

A significant part of Smith's contribution last year was his willingness to track back, win the ball in our half and then start the next attacking move.  That comfortably outweighed his lack of goals in my opinion.

14 hours ago, Passionate said:

Ok it's decision time for the team selection the 3 positions and players may be still to be decided.

GK.......Hutton or Currie

Hutton  steady keeper

Mid......  Kerr or McKay

Kerr. Although McKay is always a goal threat unlike Kerr

Striker......  Roy or Gallagher

Gallagher our most consistent scorer,  ideally would like another option

Thoughts folks.....

Agree with this tbf 

4 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Callum Smith's record isn't too clever either (about 7 in 70) but we all know what he brought to the party with his workrate etc.

I get that stats only show you half the story, and I'd have loved Callum smith to stay as well.  As mentioned before I'll own up to slaughtering ally Roy last year, and I still stand by it being deserved, but genuinely I'd love be to think he's used the time off, and all the criticism from last year from all angles, he's used it to become a better, fitter, sharper, braver player and hopefully he'll have a massive part to play at this club over the next few years.

Strikers job is to put the ball in the net, that's what told last season, we had Smith, Roy, Carrick that would run all day, work rate you could not fault them, but no finish product, surely there was more than me thought that,