The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Exactly. Friendlies never have and never will have any bearing on how a season goes.  I don't think I could tell you one friendly result we've had over the years let alone one that was actually important. They're a glorified kick about down the park and are only useful for fitness, playing trialists and trying out things. And this pre-season they're not just friendlies but the first football these guys have played in 6-7 months if not longer. No point in judging or over-analysing the performances of individuals or the team as a whole. If it increases the fitness levels and match sharpness then that's all that really matters. 

Absolutely. I remember we played a pre season against Stirling Albion 2 years ago, and Joao Victoria kept falling over the ball and looked like he never played football in his life. Then a month later, he had one of the best individual performances from an Airdrie player I’ve seen in a long time when he tore Raith Rovers apart in that 3-4 game. Also, Ayr United lost 2-0 at home to Stirling Albion on Saturday in a pre season friendly. Doesn’t mean Ayr are f***ed for the season ahead. But saying that, you’d forget that we WON last night with all the premature panic. 

I wouldnt like to be losing these pre-season friendlies against lower tier opposition, so if we were then maybe I'd view things more critically.

At the same time I think theres no point going overboard until either a) the season begins in earnest, or b) it looks like there's something approaching a settled team selection

34 minutes ago, G_H said:

I wouldnt like to be losing these pre-season friendlies against lower tier opposition, so if we were then maybe I'd view things more critically.

At the same time I think theres no point going overboard until either a) the season begins in earnest, or b) it looks like there's something approaching a settled team selection

Aye, friendly's are all about fitness, building confidence, trying to find best team, see what sat brings, you like your team to win and give you a good feeling for season to come 👍👍

13 hours ago, G_H said:

Agree with this, especially team selection.  How many games at the start of last season was the team chopped and changed, it seems like there was a different 11 for every game of the first quarter. Being a shortened season this year we HAVE to hit the ground running and a massive part of that is getting the right team on the park from game 1, and that comes down to 1 man. As I've stated before, first 5 games are HUGE. Do well and the fans will be right behind them, slow start, and we all know how negative it can get very quickly.

https://www.idlehandsduffy.com/post/diamond-watches-airdrieonians-3-2-albion-rovers

Glory glory Ally-lujah! A one-two punch from Ally Roy sees Airdrie secure victory in a pleasantly eventful pre-season Monklands Derby.

Wee thing i'm trying; a match report from Tuesday. 

Anyway; most, if not all, of the squad are getting run outs, getting minutes on the pitch, building their fitness and maybe even starting to develop relationships, but as many have pointed out, preseason always has been and always will be an unreliable measure for predicting the season ahead. It will be interesting to see, as mentioned by @G_H and @++Ammo - Airdrie++, how quickly we settle on an 11. The cup games are likely to also be matches in which we try things, i would think. 

The quicker we can settle on a side, the better. That being said, there are teams in the top flight that have still not settled on their best team. Players, especially new signings, take time to bed in, time that can vary player to player.  

We cannae be panicking if we don't get off to a flier, even in a shortened season. We especially cannae panic if we don't have a settled and consistent starting 11 by matchday 6. Very few teams will. Remember that we only played 28 games last season, due to the curtailment. 

https://www.idlehandsduffy.com/post/diamond-watches-airdrieonians-3-2-albion-rovers
Glory glory Ally-lujah! A one-two punch from Ally Roy sees Airdrie secure victory in a pleasantly eventful pre-season Monklands Derby.
Anyway; most, if not all, of the squad are getting run outs, getting minutes on the pitch, building their fitness and maybe even starting to develop relationships, but as many have pointed out, preseason always has been and always will be an unreliable measure for predicting the season ahead. It will be interesting to see, as mentioned by [mention=74876]G_H[/mention] and [mention=10641]++Ammo - Airdrie++[/mention], how quickly we settle on an 11. The cup games are likely to also be matches in which we try things, i would think. 
The quicker we can settle on a side, the better. That being said, there are teams in the top flight that have still not settled on their best team. Players, especially new signings, take time to bed in, time that can vary player to player.  
We cannae be panicking if we don't get off to a flier, even in a shortened season. We especially cannae panic if we don't have a settled and consistent starting 11 by matchday 6. Very few teams will. Remember that we only played 28 games last season, due to the curtailment. 

An excellent read Andy, hope you're able to keep up these reports as I'd like to read them.

1 minute ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

An excellent read Andy, hope you're able to keep up these reports as I'd like to read them.

Thanks very much! I'll let everyone know you're to blame then. Can is yours to carry ;) 

Anyway; most, if not all, of the squad are getting run outs, getting minutes on the pitch, building their fitness and maybe even starting to develop relationships, but as many have pointed out, preseason always has been and always will be an unreliable measure for predicting the season ahead. It will be interesting to see, as mentioned by [mention=74876]G_H[/mention] and [mention=10641]++Ammo - Airdrie++[/mention], how quickly we settle on an 11. The cup games are likely to also be matches in which we try things, i would think. 

Enjoyed the read also ! Keep up the good work [emoji815]️

On 23/09/2020 at 13:30, Stevo1968 said:

Extremely lucky? If he was that good he wouldn’t be at Airdrie imo, can only live off his dads name for so long! Still early days with the boy but if he wasn’t good last night then that’s that, fans are expecting a world beater but again if that was the case he wouldn’t be with us!

Not expecting a world beater, just to show a bit more than against Rovers, being the son of the Great Robert, 

Some of these posts about a. Couple of friendlies. Jeezo. Never surprises me how pessimistic some people can be so quickly. Friendlies are all part of training and fitness, nothing more. If we beat a better team than us 5 nil, I wouldn't see that as a sign that we would win the league, just like losing a couple of goals to Albion Rovers doesn't mean we are in poor shape. Robert has class about him and will prove it, as will Sabatini and Stokes. They all have something about them and our team better will be better as a result. Let's give them the opportunity to show that. 

12 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Some of these posts about a. Couple of friendlies. Jeezo. Never surprises me how pessimistic some people can be so quickly. Friendlies are all part of training and fitness, nothing more. If we beat a better team than us 5 nil, I wouldn't see that as a sign that we would win the league, just like losing a couple of goals to Albion Rovers doesn't mean we are in poor shape. Robert has class about him and will prove it, as will Sabatini and Stokes. They all have something about them and our team better will be better as a result. Let's give them the opportunity to show that. 

Awe, thanks for that I was getting a bit concerned,mind you that will work the other way with ally Roy, that will no make him Pele scoring 2 goals, 

21 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

It usually seems to work the other way.  We look good in pre-season and early cup comp but then start getting our arse handed to us when league business commences.

14 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Awe, thanks for that I was getting a bit concerned,mind you that will work the other way with ally Roy, that will no make him Pele scoring 2 goals, 

Aw sorry, did I hit a wee nerve there? A player who was out of form scoring two goals will provide a much needed confidence boost. But if youd rather argue the case that he won't be any good then batter on. 

I'm hoping he steps up and challenges for a starting place as he's young, quick and has potential to keep improving. 

12 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Maybe, but it still serves purpose to use these games to get the squad match fit so I think it's more likely to be the cup games before we see that. Just my thoughts though. 

I think the last cup game should be more or less what Murray thinks would be the strongest 11.

Sabatini and stokes have done themselves absolutely no harm in being first 11 contenders so far.

There's something satisfying about someone like Eoghan being picked up from another countries league and then looking like he could do some damage. I'll be honest I thought he was signed as a "versatile squad player" bit he's looking the part. Another one like that up front please.

And fwiw I couldn't give 2 f*cks what the friendly scores are or the Betfred, as long as we kick off the league with a win!

1 hour ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Aw sorry, did I hit a wee nerve there? A player who was out of form scoring two goals will provide a much needed confidence boost. But if youd rather argue the case that he won't be any good then batter on. 

I'm hoping he steps up and challenges for a starting place as he's young, quick and has potential to keep improving. 

No a nerve, a panic button if young Roy  I think he is  23  is our best player for goal getting, then we are in trouble, noticed his old club signed Declan Glass, now that's a player, only my opinion, 

2 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I think the last cup game should be more or less what Murray thinks would be the strongest 11.

Yeah I think that was the case last year too. Looking at the lineups for the four cup games last year the defence was fairly settled (though I think Fordyce, Crighton, Kerr and Eckersley were the only fit defenders) but Murray seemed to change up the midfield and attack each game. The same team started the final cup game against Hamilton and the opening league game against Forfar, although obviously we were dreadful that day and the team got changed every week after that. 

Hopefully Murray has a better idea of what his best team is this year, as until I looked it up there I had completely forgotten that we started with James Cowan in midfield (remember him?) and Gallagher playing on the wing.