The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Having now had a chance to work out who was who, I had concerns over last night’s performance. If we play like that in the league there is no chance of being anywhere near promotion. Failure to dominate a team are as low as Albion Rovers in midfield does not bode well. I thought Robert was poor and certainly not the wonder kid we were told we had signed. On the positive side having now seen the three goals up close they were cracking goals.

On the positive side having now seen the three goals up close they were cracking goals.

I know it is early season but I am not confident.

23 minutes ago, waysider said:

Having now had a chance to work out who was who, I had concerns over last night’s performance. If we play like that in the league there is no chance of being anywhere near promotion. Failure to dominate a team are as low as Albion Rovers in midfield does not bode well. I thought Robert was poor and certainly not the wonder kid we were told we had signed. On the positive side having now seen the three goals up close they were cracking goals.

On the positive side having now seen the three goals up close they were cracking goals.

Celtic and Newcastle reported to be interested and having a look, aye  one look 🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️at Robert 🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️

As far as the goals we conceded I think if we had Crighton and Fordyce at the back we would’ve been able to prevent them .

Trying not to be pessimistic but As I said last week If someone offered me 4th place right now I’d take it and run. I think the defence will take care of itself. As much as the core of the team is the same we had five new players in the starting 11. Just need to give everyone time to gel , get match sharp and let Murray find out about what the best system and 11 is. Especially the Sabatini and Robert who haven’t played in Scotland before.

We’ve got 2 preseason games left followed by 2 betfred cup games which in my opinion should be treated as friendlies. So we have over 3 weeks training before the real stuff starts.

3 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

As far as the goals we conceded I think if we had Crighton and Fordyce at the back we would’ve been able to prevent them .

Trying not to be pessimistic but As I said last week If someone offered me 4th place right now I’d take it and run. I think the defence will take care of itself. As much as the core of the team is the same we had five new players in the starting 11. Just need to give everyone time to gel , get match sharp and let Murray find out about what the best system and 11 is. Especially the Sabatini and Robert who haven’t played in Scotland before.

We’ve got 2 preseason games left followed by 2 betfred cup games which in my opinion should be treated as friendlies. So we have over 3 weeks training before the real stuff starts.

Fair enough but it was early season too for Rovers and they also can be expected to improve on last night as well.

First half we were pretty poor. Albion Rovers were more hungry and got in about us forcing some silly mistakes. Some of our passing at the back was shocking. Going forward McCann and O'Reilly got into a number of good positions but their crossing was well off. Thankfully McCann settled down in the 2nd half.

I don’t get the hate for Robert? My picture wasn’t the best so might be a bit of mistaken identity with him playing on the far side but I thought he created a few of our chances?

We were much better in the 2nd half, Sabatini looks a player and I felt we caused them a lot of problems down the right hand side when Thomson came on. Stokes surprised me, I wasn't expecting much from him but he looked decent.

Just watched the goals again on the Back of the Net, all 3 were really well taken. Glad to see Roy get a couple of goals after all the abuse he takes on here. Just a shame the defender got a block to stop him getting the hattrick.

You’d like to think with our usual defence, especially Fordyce, we would cut out a lot of the first half mistakes.

Also interesting in the 2nd half we changed to 2 up front. I’m maybe getting ahead of myself but wondered if that was Murray having in mind the WHU forward still to come in.

I know the resident whingers Jack Reed & Waysider won’t agree but I’m quite excited about the new season and really looking forward to seeing Sabatini, Robert & Stokes playing together.

We need to remember that this is only the SECOND game of pre season. In a normal season, we wouldn’t even get to see such early bounce games like such. Thomas Robert is only 20 years old and just moved to a brand new country so he’s still settling in. We will probably start to see the best of him in the next few weeks, when the competitive games start. 

I've been highly critical of Roy last season and I genuinely think it was warranted, but it's a new season, new team, new start and new expectations, so I'm 100% willing to give him a chance.

Murray feels he deserved another contract so I'll trust his judgement, and if he has a great season then I'll happily admit he's proved me and other lads wrong on here.

I'm very interested in Stokes and Sabatini, they look very good and with solid training and a few more games they'll be right up for it IMO. I still think we'll be 3rd or 4th.

2 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I've been highly critical of Roy last season and I genuinely think it was warranted, but it's a new season, new team, new start and new expectations, so I'm 100% willing to give him a chance.

Murray feels he deserved another contract so I'll trust his judgement, and if he has a great season then I'll happily admit he's proved me and other lads wrong on here.

I'm very interested in Stokes and Sabatini, they look very good and with solid training and a few more games they'll be right up for it IMO. I still think we'll be 3rd or 4th.

Stokes was the standout for me last night, sabatini looks tidy early on as well. All about giving these boys time completely new surrondings for them, shame a couple of people writing robert off already after playing a total of 100 minutes for airdrie in a non competitive game.

In my opinion Roy could easily finish the season with 15 plus goals. The main difference this year is that he will undoubtedly get better service into the box. Remember we started lest season with him out on the wing which didn't help. I'm sure people will agree also that he is a 'confidence' player and sometimes his head goes down to easily if things are not going well. He will also realise that this year is a make or break season for him in many ways. I'm confident that we'll see the best of him however.

9 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

We’re extremely lucky to have a player like him. So it’s important that we give the boy a chance. 

Extremely lucky? If he was that good he wouldn’t be at Airdrie imo, can only live off his dads name for so long! Still early days with the boy but if he wasn’t good last night then that’s that, fans are expecting a world beater but again if that was the case he wouldn’t be with us!

12 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Extremely lucky? If he was that good he wouldn’t be at Airdrie imo, can only live off his dads name for so long! Still early days with the boy but if he wasn’t good last night then that’s that, fans are expecting a world beater but again if that was the case he wouldn’t be with us!

Only time will tell. 

2 hours ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Harsh and over the top - 2nd game in for goodness sake

Aye maybe your right, it will take time to get to know our game, all be it last night was hard to make out some players, over the 2 games Sabatini and Stokes look decent, would be good to get a big lad in upfront, or just my opinion we will be out done in any tight game, defence I would have thought  would pick itself, 

In my opinion Roy could easily finish the season with 15 plus goals. The main difference this year is that he will undoubtedly get better service into the box. Remember we started lest season with him out on the wing which didn't help. I'm sure people will agree also that he is a 'confidence' player and sometimes his head goes down to easily if things are not going well. He will also realise that this year is a make or break season for him in many ways. I'm confident that we'll see the best of him however.

Actually think he might do better in the behind closed doors games . I was always quick to get on his back as I’m aware many fans did at times last season. Hopefully a run in the team and a few goals will do him good for the season.

From the highlights

If you play 2 defensive midfielders and Rovers score with someone running from midfield, it's not the defence's fault

Their 2nd goal, Mbayo forgot to jump.

From the little i've seen from last night and at kelty we are better with 2 up front and giving the likes of Roy something to chase.

Stokes looked good

From the highlights
If you play 2 defensive midfielders and Rovers score with someone running from midfield, it's not the defence's fault
Their 2nd goal, Mbayo forgot to jump.
From the little i've seen from last night and at kelty we are better with 2 up front and giving the likes of Roy something to chase.
Stokes looked good

If the second goal was Mbayo's fault and the first came from Crighton misplacing a pass surely that is the defence's fault? Hopefully it is just rustiness though and important to remember our best defender (Fordyce) wasn't even playing

7 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

We need to remember that this is only the SECOND game of pre season. In a normal season, we wouldn’t even get to see such early bounce games like such. Thomas Robert is only 20 years old and just moved to a brand new country so he’s still settling in. We will probably start to see the best of him in the next few weeks, when the competitive games start. 

Exactly. Friendlies never have and never will have any bearing on how a season goes.  I don't think I could tell you one friendly result we've had over the years let alone one that was actually important. They're a glorified kick about down the park and are only useful for fitness, playing trialists and trying out things. And this pre-season they're not just friendlies but the first football these guys have played in 6-7 months if not longer. No point in judging or over-analysing the performances of individuals or the team as a whole. If it increases the fitness levels and match sharpness then that's all that really matters.