The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

43 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

He made mistakes, which is to be expected of a goalie of that age, but he was not helped whatsoever by playing behind the worst defence that's ever graced the third tier (an over the hill Simon Mensing, a comically bad Daniel Boateng and the useless Joe Gorman) that conceded almost 70 goals in the league despite finishing 3rd, and having no other goalie that could come in and replace him/give him a rest. 

It says a lot when Jordan McGregor was comfortably the best centre back out of that lot. There were a lot of bad moments that season, particularly losing 5-0 at home to Stenhousemuir, 4-0 at home to Livingston and losing the new year derby to Albion Rovers. Despite those results I think the real nadir was the 3-0 midweek defeat at Brechin, just three days after that great 4-3 win at Albion Rovers, where Mark Wilson decided it would be a good idea to put Daniel Boateng up front. 

20 minutes ago, Mr November said:

It says a lot when Jordan McGregor was comfortably the best centre back out of that lot. There were a lot of bad moments that season, particularly losing 5-0 at home to Stenhousemuir, 4-0 at home to Livingston and losing the new year derby to Albion Rovers. Despite those results I think the real nadir was the 3-0 midweek defeat at Brechin, just three days after that great 4-3 win at Albion Rovers, where Mark Wilson decided it would be a good idea to put Daniel Boateng up front. 

Don't forget Sean McIntosh who was touted on here as the second coming of Alan Hansen

Surprised Stuart Millar hasn't joined the coaching staff yet!

Agreed. Sean getting the coach role would lead you to believe there’s an assistant manager role still to be filled. As far as I’m aware Colin Cameron was massively involved in the day to day coaching so would make sense having someone else in to take some of the workload off Murray

21 hours ago, Mr November said:

That new year derby was horrendous. Big crowd in that day and we shat the bed as always. The Livi away game just before Christmas was dreadful too. Russell and Ryan must have been suspended or injured and Kevin Schmidt looked like a lost little boy playing upfront by himself. If he was still running around Almondvale now he still wouldn't have scored. Was that Brechin game the midweek one where we kicked off late and Fitzpatrick told a fan to f**k off? Horrific times. Funny thing is though we should have seen out the first leg of that play-off semi-final against Alloa and if we'd played Brechin in the final who knows what would have happened. Dread to think though really. We're in a much better place now off the park. That 4-3 win at Cliftonhill was cracking though! 

Wonder if McGregor's dad still posts on here... 

7 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Surprised Stuart Millar hasn't joined the coaching staff yet!

5 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

Agreed. Sean getting the coach role would lead you to believe there’s an assistant manager role still to be filled. As far as I’m aware Colin Cameron was massively involved in the day to day coaching so would make sense having someone else in to take some of the workload off Murray

I thought the wording of 'first team coach' was interesting too and would certainly suggest there's an idea to bring in an official 'assistant' if needs be. I'd imagine though with Murray, Crighton, Prunty, Low and Jaz Grant (going by the pre-season pictures) still around and the fact we got rid of Colin Cameron in the first place would suggest they're happy enough with the coaching staff and arrangements at the moment. I guess Millar would ideally stick to his DoF role and not get involved in the coaching side of things. But given these aren't ideal or normal times and his wealth of experience it wouldn't surprise me if he got involved in some way or another. A useful guy to have around in that regard anyway. 

35 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

That new year derby was horrendous. Big crowd in that day and we shat the bed as always. The Livi away game just before Christmas was dreadful too. Russell and Ryan must have been suspended or injured and Kevin Schmidt looked like a lost little boy playing upfront by himself. If he was still running around Almondvale now he still wouldn't have scored. Was that Brechin game the midweek one where we kicked off late and Fitzpatrick told a fan to f**k off? Horrific times. Funny thing is though we should have seen out the first leg of that play-off semi-final against Alloa and if we'd played Brechin in the final who knows what would have happened. Dread to think though really. We're in a much better place now off the park. That 4-3 win at Cliftonhill was cracking though! 

Wonder if McGregor's dad still posts on here... 

I thought the wording of 'first team coach' was interesting too and would certainly suggest there's an idea to bring in an official 'assistant' if needs be. I'd imagine though with Murray, Crighton, Prunty, Low and Jaz Grant (going by the pre-season pictures) still around and the fact we got rid of Colin Cameron in the first place would suggest they're happy enough with the coaching staff and arrangements at the moment. I guess Millar would ideally stick to his DoF role and not get involved in the coaching side of things. But given these aren't ideal or normal times and his wealth of experience it wouldn't surprise me if he got involved in some way or another. A useful guy to have around in that regard anyway. 

I heard Jaz grant was away, could be wrong..

1 hour ago, leomessi1984 said:

Looking forward to a big test against you guys today. Hoping we give you a good game. Is this your first game pre season?

It is! Would much rather be there in person but looking forward to it all the same. 

Disappointed there's no interesting trialists playing though. 

Not a great game but important to remember it's just the first friendly. Robert showed glimpses of real talent, his work for the goal was excellent and the free kick at the end was extremely unlucky, but there were maybe times he tried to do too much on his own. Liked the look of Kerr as a holding midfielder sitting just in front of defence. Sabatini looked fine but I thought Stokes looked better than him. Second half was much better than the first.