The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

4 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Out of interest, what have you heard so far about Sabatini? Just curious as you don't sound keen from what you've heard. 

Just heard about the new signings in training, stokes and robert look very good. Sabatini hasn't looked so good so far, but will reserve judgement until he gets a few games under his belt.

2 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Would be great if someone "in the know" could give us some update on new players, the hearts lad and the rest of them, 

Only heard about the 3 i've stated in the above post i'm afraid. No idea how currie, ritchie, mbayo or o'riley are doing.

Really looking foward to seeing o'riley play last season think murray rates him highly and would've played a lot of games last season if it wasn't for his injury.

11 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Just heard about the new signings in training, stokes and robert look very good. Sabatini hasn't looked so good so far, but will reserve judgement until he gets a few games under his belt.

Cool, was asking as I'd heard he was looking good too, as well as Robert & Stokes. Heard he's very mobile, quick feet and wants to contribute defensively as well as going forward so fingers crossed they all impress. Heard O'Reilly also looking very good. Think he will be challenging for a starting place so interesting times ahead! 

52 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Cool, was asking as I'd heard he was looking good too, as well as Robert & Stokes. Heard he's very mobile, quick feet and wants to contribute defensively as well as going forward so fingers crossed they all impress. Heard O'Reilly also looking very good. Think he will be challenging for a starting place so interesting times ahead! 

Yeah very interesting, still hoping we can get another striker in before the league starts, west ham rumour has went quiet.

Thought O'Reilly looked really good from the few glimpses we got of him last season. With a lot of players challenging for attacking midfield and wide positions you do wonder how much game time Thomson will be able to get this season now that he's competing with Robert, Stokes and O'Reilly as well as Carrick and Roy.

Maybe it's nothing then. They'll probably be pissed off with me reapplying several times - thought maybe I'd put my old phone number on the application

Turns out this actually was the issue and I put my old number on the application because I'm a massive tube. All sorted and paid for now, cheers for the replies.

2 hours ago, G_H said:

We're more than halfway through the month now with a friendly in a few days, is it safe to assume that this wEsT HaM loan deal is dead?

West Ham haven't started sending players out on loan yet. The youth squad have been working with the first team throughout pre-season with a number of them involved in friendlies and last nights cup tie.

Last I heard the deal is still going ahead.

Edited by Tory Boy

We're more than halfway through the month now with a friendly in a few days, is it safe to assume that this wEsT HaM loan deal is dead?

If the West Ham thing doesn’t pull through will be interesting to see if we pull in any Scottish loans . Had a player from hibs with Murray’s connections there the last two seasons.

Not sure if we are or not allowed to make 5 subs this season ? If so the strength off the bench is even more important this year

2 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Only heard about the 3 i've stated in the above post i'm afraid. No idea how currie, ritchie, mbayo or o'riley are doing.

Really looking foward to seeing o'riley play last season think murray rates him highly and would've played a lot of games last season if it wasn't for his injury.

Thanks, interesting times ahead 👍

4 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Thought O'Reilly looked really good from the few glimpses we got of him last season. With a lot of players challenging for attacking midfield and wide positions you do wonder how much game time Thomson will be able to get this season now that he's competing with Robert, Stokes and O'Reilly as well as Carrick and Roy.

Thomson flattered to deceive too often for me last season. He's skilful and quick which makes him a threat at this level, but his goal and assist return for a player of his ostensible talents is poor. That being said, it's the new boys who have everything to prove. But if they can produce the goods in terms of goals and assists then I could see Thomson struggling to get a look in. They obviously rate him though so no reason why he can't step it up himself. 

Thomson flattered to deceive too often for me last season. He's skilful and quick which makes him a threat at this level, but his goal and assist return for a player of his ostensible talents is poor. That being said, it's the new boys who have everything to prove. But if they can produce the goods in terms of goals and assists then I could see Thomson struggling to get a look in. They obviously rate him though so no reason why he can't step it up himself. 

I quite liked Thomson at the start of last season (he was excellent in the 3-1 win against Clyde) but by the end it would have been difficult to consider him part of our best 11. His return in terms of goals and assists wasn't great at all and it seemed that whenever he found himself in a position to shoot his shot was either very weak or straight at the goalie. Perhaps I'm being too critical as he did show good glimpses and his season was broken up by a lengthy injury but I think it's a big season for him and Roy to try to prove that they earned their second seasons at the club. Hope both of them prove me wrong.

Thomson’s an interesting one. I was surprised he got a new contract alongside the other key players midway through last season, as at that time he was out injured and before then seemed quite hit and miss. The manager must see something in him though given they were so keen to give him a new deal. 

He was outstanding in the 3-1 Clyde game as @ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds says but other than that I can’t remember too many great moments, though that’s not for a lack of effort. He’s clearly a wide player but if I remember correctly he played as a left wing back in that Clyde game where he was excellent, though that didn’t work as well the following week up at East Fife. I remember him playing in midfield against Falkirk early in the season too and I guess being moved around and injuries don’t help when you’re trying to make an impact. Definitely a big season ahead for him, especially with all the other attacking options we have available.

I quite liked Thomson at the start of last season (he was excellent in the 3-1 win against Clyde) but by the end it would have been difficult to consider him part of our best 11. His return in terms of goals and assists wasn't great at all and it seemed that whenever he found himself in a position to shoot his shot was either very weak or straight at the goalie. Perhaps I'm being too critical as he did show good glimpses and his season was broken up by a lengthy injury but I think it's a big season for him and Roy to try to prove that they earned their second seasons at the club. Hope both of them prove me wrong.

I quite liked the look of Thomson as well had just started his first few games after injury before lockdown after previously getting a few sub appearances. Remember his injury clearly and it looked a bad one so suspect we are yet to really see the best of him. But with o’reilly Robert carrick and Thomson we have plenty of options in the wide areas.

On a side note just saw thistle have signed kouider - Aissa on loan from livi exactly what we need in the squad - guaranteed goals imo.

41 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Anyone know if jai quitongo has signed for anyone so far, if not I’d take him!

Manager doest seem keen to add a striker, bit disappointing after all the Harry Rednap and West ham talk that has went on, yes the manger likes the goals from all over a d thanks fine but we really need a striker that will give us 20 plus, 

1 hour ago, Stevo1968 said:

Anyone know if jai quitongo has signed for anyone so far, if not I’d take him!

Not for me, didn't recapture his form at dumbarton last season think he only scored once, i think we've been risky enough in the market this summer already.

2 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Not for me, didn't recapture his form at dumbarton last season think he only scored once, i think we've been risky enough in the market this summer already.

To be fair to Jai, he hadn't played football in a long time when he came to us and it was obvious that it took him more than a few weeks to get back up to sharpness. He can definitely be a danger in this league with a full preseason under his belt, but he told Duffy he was off to chase a full time deal down south. If that doesn't work out I expect he'll sign for someone in Scotland but I don't think he likes playing on plastic pitches.

12 hours ago, Diamond10 said:

I quite liked the look of Thomson as well had just started his first few games after injury before lockdown after previously getting a few sub appearances. Remember his injury clearly and it looked a bad one so suspect we are yet to really see the best of him. But with o’reilly Robert carrick and Thomson we have plenty of options in the wide areas.

On a side note just saw thistle have signed kouider - Aissa on loan from livi exactly what we need in the squad - guaranteed goals imo.

Thomson is probably the quickest player we have and looked a real find in the league cup last season. As mentioned, badly hit with injury last year so hopefully a good pre season and he shines this year.

A 20 goal a season striker would be nice, but those aren't exactly easy to find.  Granted last season was cut short, but only four players in the country managed it, five the season before, and six the season before that.  I'm missing the L2 figures from seasons 2013-14 and 2014-15, but with that caveat since the SPFL was formed only Shankland, Goodwillie (who for well-known reasons is playing below his natural level) and McAllister (likewise, but for less repugnant reasons) have hit twenty in more than one league season (three times, two times and two times, respectively).   Goodwillie was top of the L1 scorers' charts last season, but Carrick and Gallagher scored more between them than he did and Clyde didn't really have anyone else scoring a significant number of goals -  Airdrie scored more than Clyde did over the season.

L1 has had more strikers scoring 20 in a season than all the other leagues have, I suspect because it's the only league which consistently has full time teams playing against mostly part time ones but I'd need to look at the figures more closely than I intend to to confirm that.

In sum - yeah, it'd be great to sign a striker you can confidently predict will score that many goals, but I don't know where you could reasonably expect to find one who isn't already signed up and/or way out of our budget.

Edited by Tulloch Gorum