The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Diamond10 said:

Agree with the striker situation wonder how much we couldn’t afford chucky by. Would’ve been a lot more confident with him in the squad. Having said that have trust in Murray’s and miller’s decision making and maybe the idea is to spread the goals throughout the teams with various attacking mids at our disposal

Yeah I think the plan definitely seems to be spreading the goals around a lot more.

I posted recently saying that we haven’t actually lost too many goals from last season’s team, Callum Smith managed double figures for combined goals and assists but other than that we’ve not lost much. Smith, Gallagher and Carrick all did well in terms of goals last season but the fourth player in the front four (Ryan, Roberts, Hawkshaw) seemed to struggle for consistency, hopefully that’s not an issue this season.

Obviously this relies on Carrick and Gallagher continuing to score at a similar rate (I’m sceptical of Carrick given how many were penalties) but if the likes of Stokes, O‘Reilly, Robert, Thomson, Roy etc can all chip in with an average of 3 or 4 goals each that would be a massive boost. 

If the defence are as solid as they were from October onwards we should certainly won more than we lose, though I think it’ll be a case of nervy one goal wins most of the time.

22 hours ago, Mr November said:

Unless he’s very good I’ll be surprised if he plays at all but I think that’s alluded too in Sturt Millar’s comments. I’m still not sure whether signing five or six young players who will barely play is sensible compared to signing one or two first team players, especially in a shortened season, but we’ll just need to wait and see how things go.

Would imagine he'll be in the Reece Willison/Andy McNeil third choice role which seems sensible. Better that than having to scramble round for a loanee goalie who's never met or trained with the squad prior to playing with them. If he's full-time too that will only benefit the squad as not sure how training would work without one full-time goalie haha. 

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

Yeah I think the plan definitely seems to be spreading the goals around a lot more.

I posted recently saying that we haven’t actually lost too many goals from last season’s team, Callum Smith managed double figures for combined goals and assists but other than that we’ve not lost much. Smith, Gallagher and Carrick all did well in terms of goals last season but the fourth player in the front four (Ryan, Roberts, Hawkshaw) seemed to struggle for consistency, hopefully that’s not an issue this season.

Obviously this relies on Carrick and Gallagher continuing to score at a similar rate (I’m sceptical of Carrick given how many were penalties) but if the likes of Stokes, O‘Reilly, Robert, Thomson, Roy etc can all chip in with an average of 3 or 4 goals each that would be a massive boost. 

If the defence are as solid as they were from October onwards we should certainly won more than we lose, though I think it’ll be a case of nervy one goal wins most of the time.

Yeah I definitely agree with that. One of our biggest problems last season was a real lack of goals from midfield (except from Paul McKay ;) ) both in terms of goals scored and created. We've obviously tried to rectify that greatly this summer. Though yes, one more striker certainly wouldn't go amiss (anyone know when he is signing btw?). Gallagher will always be good for about 15 goals at this level, Carrick has never been prolific bar last season though I don't see any reason why he can't repeat that form, particularly if he gets better service. Thomson and Roy will have to step up. Then the hope is obviously that we'll get goals from Robert, Stokes, O'Reilly and Sabatini though the big caveat there is that all of them are untested at this level. It's a gamble but hopefully a more than worthwhile one! 

Also, I wouldn't read anything from this Saturday's result btw. However it goes... 

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I applied as soon as the applications opened and still haven't heard back, I suppose I'll have to enter it again

I applied straight away too and still haven’t heard anything either. I wonder if they’re working backwards but if I’ve not heard by the end of the week I might just apply again.

2 hours ago, Diamond72 said:

I'm fairly optomistic looking at the signings but like everyone else I think that we need to add to the forward line. Imagine if we had Goodwillie in the starting line up this season, I don't think our odds would be sitting at 14/1...... it's pretty obvious to most folks.

15 more goals 200 less fans. 

I should have added that bringing in a goal scorer like Goddwillie is not totally about the number of goals they will bring per season. We need guys who can turn 1-1 draws into wins with a bit of quality in the forward line. I feel that this is what has made the difference for title winners in the past eg. Bobby Linn (Arbroath).

On 14/09/2020 at 21:04, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Has anyone on here heard back since applying for a season ticket?

22 hours ago, Mr November said:

I applied straight away too and still haven’t heard anything either. I wonder if they’re working backwards but if I’ve not heard by the end of the week I might just apply again.

I hadn't heard anything either but got a phone call and email tonight so hopefully you'll both hear soon as well. 

On 14/09/2020 at 14:37, AJ77 said:

Yeah i think that's probably our strongest starting 11 on paper thus far, i've also heard the boy stokes has been the stand out in training, sabatini not so much.

Out of interest, what have you heard so far about Sabatini? Just curious as you don't sound keen from what you've heard. 

1 hour ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Out of interest, what have you heard so far about Sabatini? Just curious as you don't sound keen from what you've heard. 

Would be great if someone "in the know" could give us some update on new players, the hearts lad and the rest of them,