The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Still slightly concerned with where all the goals are coming from if we are to make a serious tilt at going up. We scored less than raith falkirk east fife and Montrose last season and bringing in chucky in January gave the impression we were looking to add goals . Hopefully we still are to add a striker .

18 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

Still slightly concerned with where all the goals are coming from if we are to make a serious tilt at going up. We scored less than raith falkirk east fife and Montrose last season and bringing in chucky in January gave the impression we were looking to add goals . Hopefully we still are to add a striker .

This is something I've been a bit concerned about too but looking at who we've released, we've not actually lost too many goals from last season's team. Falkirk and Montrose have both lost their top scorers from last season too, though Falkirk do look to have recruited fairly well up front.

We scored 38 in the league last season and 53 in all competitions which is alright but as you say, lower than all the other teams around us. Wedderburn (1), Roberts (1), Smith (4) and Ryan (2) scored 8 of those 38 goals but the rest were all scored by players still in the squad (mainly Gallagher and Carrick). Obviously Roberts and Smith in particular were good at creating chances but our main complaint last season was a lack of creativity from midfield. I suppose the hope is that the likes of Stokes, Robert, Sabatini and O'Reilly can all chip in with at least 3-4 goals each to replace the outgoing players and help create more chances for Gallagher and Carrick. I'd like to see another striker come in anyway as I'm not confident with Roy as the second choice striker but even he managed 5 goals last season, albeit only 2 of those were in the league.

If we can be as solid defensively as we were from October onwards and add a few more goals we should do well. 

57 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

West Ham striker  no coming now???, a striker is a must. 

Why do we need a third kit?
Home and away is plenty, for smaller teams 

Given we have a white home and a black away, we would only really need it if we had an away draw to Elgin, Queen's Park, Dunfermline or St Mirren in one of the cups, so yes I would expect it to be worn only a couple of times and probably in games where our home or away would have been fine. Probably better to think of the kit as a piece of merchandise, along with hats, scarves, keychains and mugs and if selling it makes the club extra cash then that's a good thing.

Given we have a white home and a black away, we would only really need it if we had an away draw to Elgin, Queen's Park, Dunfermline or St Mirren in one of the cups, so yes I would expect it to be worn only a couple of times and probably in games where our home or away would have been fine. Probably better to think of the kit as a piece of merchandise, along with hats, scarves, keychains and mugs and if selling it makes the club extra cash then that's a good thing.

Agreed if it brings in more money to the club then I’m all for it they can have as many kits as they like.

Think Clyde is problematic if we will continue with the black away strips as they have white red and black. Also I’m sure East fife bizarrely also played us at home wearing an all white strip with red on it [emoji23]

Agreed if it brings in more money to the club then I’m all for it they can have as many kits as they like.

Think Clyde is problematic if we will continue with the black away strips as they have white red and black. Also I’m sure East fife bizarrely also played us at home wearing an all white strip with red on it [emoji23]

No EF wore black in both the visits to Airdrie last season but wore the white / red kit at home with Airdrie wearing black

No EF wore black in both the visits to Airdrie last season but wore the white / red kit at home with Airdrie wearing black

Yeah that was what was so bizarre about it, EF wearing a white and red kit at bayview instead of black and gold against a team that wears white and red [emoji23]

On 01/09/2020 at 14:45, cb_diamond said:

I'm massively annoyed here...its been over 20 hours since anyone posted the words "west ham striker". You're slacking folks.

Does the WEST End Bar sell HAM sandwiches?  Just asking for a mate that is involved in industrial action (STRIKER) 😄

(need to stop with the subliminal messages)

3 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

Does the WEST End Bar sell HAM sandwiches?  Just asking for a mate that is involved in industrial action (STRIKER) 😄

(need to stop with the subliminal messages)

West Ham striker will be here for our first friendly, possible against a junior side maybe east Kilbride or Kelty hearts. Or maybe a team from lower division say Clyde  anyway we will need a few games to get team to gel, 

13 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

West Ham striker will be here for our first friendly, possible against a junior side maybe east Kilbride or Kelty hearts. Or maybe a team from lower division say Clyde  anyway we will need a few games to get team to gel, 

You do know Clyde are in the same "lower division" as us 😂?