The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Just read that the Covid Testing for teams below Premiership will only begin from 14th September or if full scale training matches are played before that date, after that twice weekly testing is compulsory.  A slight change although it means teams can get back after the long layof, without the initial outlay of testing costs,   Looking at the training protocols only ....one coach can only take a maximum of 18 players in a field based social bubble.....

Any more word on an assistant manager or another qualified coach joining up or when we plan to commence Pre season training, most clubs appear to be going back on Monday..

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Just read that the Covid Testing for teams below Premiership will only begin from 14th September or if full scale training matches are played before that date, after that twice weekly testing is compulsory.  A slight change although it means teams can get back after the long layof, without the initial outlay of testing costs,   Looking at the training protocols only ....one coach can only take a maximum of 18 players in a field based social bubble.....

Any more word on an assistant manager or another qualified coach joining up or when we plan to commence Pre season training, most clubs appear to be going back on Monday..

I think Hutton, Currie, Carrick, Gallagher and Thomson are all part-time so we should just fit into the 18 players for one coach thing, although I think Crighton is involved with coaching as well isn’t he? Murray as the only non-playing coach is an issue though, one of the reasons for our poor form at the start of last season seemed to be Murray coaching all the full-time players himself with no one else to help out during the day so hopefully we can get someone else in.

I reckon the team will be:

HUTTS

MCDONALD CRIGHTON FORDYCE MCANN

MCKAY SABATINI

ROBERT

STOKES.           GALLAGHER.    CARRICK   

SUBS:

CURRIE

KERR

ROY

THOMSON

OREILLY

MBAYO

+1 new signing  

I think Currie will start, he had a good season at Stranraer and I don't think he would have come without knowing he'd be starting initially. Hutton is a very good backup though, it's good to have two proven keepers at this level and I think Currie will be an improvement on Gallacher who never really convinced me. Other than that I pretty much agree with that team. We certainly have a lot of options in attacking midfield/out wide (Stokes, Carrick, Thomson, O'Reilly, Roy, Robert).

Hopefully Murray can work out his best team earlier this season, it seemed to take him until the second Forfar game last season to stumble upon our best team and we dropped a lot of points in the first quarter due to poor team selections. We know that playing the usual defence, McKay, Carrick and Gallagher works pretty well, so it's just finding the best players to fit in around them.

1 minute ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

I hope the new signing is another decent player from Europe, and not some American idiot...

Well spotted for the musical reference. I was going to use the Carol King song but tried to be more up to date. Imagine Carlisle Road being the Boulevard of brpken dreams?

On 26/08/2020 at 19:40, Passionate said:

Can anybody confirm if we are back in pre season training yet,  not been a word since that crypti c statement,  all other rivals went back on Monday I believe,    We need a good start this season to give ourselves a chance..

This appeared a reasonable question but nobody answered it. Is nobody out there ITK?