The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, sirscottyoung said:

As I said on twitter.

If you get the boy that signed for bohs its a good signing.

If you get the guy who was at Derry it's a bit of a meh signing.

If you get the guy who was at cork it's an absolute waste of money as he was murder.

Hasn't played for a year and not surprising with how bad he was haha.

OK BoB.

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Don't have the best track record from the League of Ireland - such luminaries as Joe Gorman, James Daly and Ally Roy come to mind - but there are decent players at that level and he could be a find. Bit concerned he won't have played in essentially a year by the time the season comes round but hopefully he'll develop into a handy player. Good to get another forward in anyway. 

Time will tell with all these signings but at least we appear to have a substantially balanced squad.

3 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Time will tell with all these signings but at least we appear to have a substantially balanced squad.

So is that the striker not coming from West Ham now,  the last it was spouted on here it was a done deal,....

Can anyone confirm

From what I've managed to learn of Eoghan Stokes he seems to be more of a 10 (or maybe even a winger) than a 9 so another striker would still be a welcome addition. In attacking roles that would likely play in a "front 4" in a 4231 we now have Gallagher, Carrick, Roy, Thomson, Robert, O'Reilly and Stokes (not including the reserves kept on). Not exactly short of options but it will be interesting to see who plays and where.

Ray Grant is a name being thrown about.

I mentioned him on here when he was released by Clyde a few weeks ago. I think he'd be a solid addition and I can believe that Millar would be interested but I haven't really seen any rumours linking him to us. That said though, there was talk a while ago of us signing a midfielder who can also play left back, I suppose that could be Grant?

40 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I mentioned him on here when he was released by Clyde a few weeks ago. I think he'd be a solid addition and I can believe that Millar would be interested but I haven't really seen any rumours linking him to us. That said though, there was talk a while ago of us signing a midfielder who can also play left back, I suppose that could be Grant?

Yeah grant can play left back so could be him, would be a very solid signing. Heard he was looking for a full time club, positive falkirk were interested though. Hopefully we've offered him a deal, still in need of another cm

Hoping the new Irish fella is signed more so for out wide/attacking mid and we're still expecting the big striker from down south as planned.  Don't really know what to make of him and he'll be judged, as will the rest, after we've played everyone once.

Good to have someone who can fill in up top in an emergency but I'd much rather still have Carrick being the link between midfield and attack with a unit up top giving defenders a hard time, we've lacked someone like that for a while, and as much as I love Callum Gallagher and the work rate he has, I still just think he's the man that will grab you a winner/goal in the last 15 mins being in the right place at the right time.

4 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Yeah grant can play left back so could be him, would be a very solid signing. Heard he was looking for a full time club, positive falkirk were interested though. Hopefully we've offered him a deal, still in need of another cm

He can just about get away with playing left-back because he reads the game brilliantly. You wouldn't ever want to play him there though; he's not got a burst of pace, isn't great in the air, isn't particularly physical and more importantly you'd be losing him from midfield.

1 hour ago, David W said:

He can just about get away with playing left-back because he reads the game brilliantly. You wouldn't ever want to play him there though; he's not got a burst of pace, isn't great in the air, isn't particularly physical and more importantly you'd be losing him from midfield.

If the grant rumours have a bit of substance then I can only assume he's for the midfield. We're pretty well covered at the back with macdonald, McCann, Fordyce (IMO) able to cover left back before him in an emergency.

Grants exactly the type of player I've been wanting to sign for a few years, not positionally, but someone who's performed well for a "lower ranked team" (no offence intended) in our own league.

There's got to be a mix of a bit of flair and attack with guys who know the league and have performed well for their respective clubs.

On 20/08/2020 at 16:16, Uniform11 said:

Do folk actually believe this Redknapp nonsense?

19 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

You set up a new account just to ask this? Random as fu(k.

17 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

Nah it’s bullshit lit your account away somewhere else and try to spout nonsense to make the club look bad 👀

Sam McNee's dad IMO

If the grant rumours have a bit of substance then I can only assume he's for the midfield. We're pretty well covered at the back with macdonald, McCann, Fordyce (IMO) able to cover left back before him in an emergency.
Grants exactly the type of player I've been wanting to sign for a few years, not positionally, but someone who's performed well for a "lower ranked team" (no offence intended) in our own league.
There's got to be a mix of a bit of flair and attack with guys who know the league and have performed well for their respective clubs.

Would really like to see grant coming in would be a statement of intent because I’d imagine he won’t be short of offers . If not I’d imagine McKay and Sabatini will be starting CMs if stokes is more of an attacking mid then another Forward who can add goals should be a priority