The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

6 hours ago, Mr November said:

Our squad numbers run up to 25 at the moment with three gaps so I'm expecting another two or three players in. Even as it stands the squad is probably bigger than what most teams in this league will have, albeit ours is padded out with four or five players from last season's reserves. Much like last season when we had about 35 players including the reserves, I'm not sure whether signing all these reserve players is the best idea when we could have one or two better players for the cost of their wages, though there's definitely a balance needed between Airdrie last season and Stevie Aitken's Dumbarton team. 

One of the issues to address which may be more of a problem than anticipated, is the Covid testing protocol, if we are running a 24 man squad with 5 kids who have as much chance of a game as me, all 24 players will need to be tested twice a week,  Those same 5 kids will have no reserve football this season and also I believe 4 of the players are on full time contracts.  This will prove to be very costly and I hope it doesn't come back to haunt us especially with gaps in the starting  11 still to be filled..

The Club issued a vague statement regarding postponing Pre Season training is this entirely due to Premier League numpties or are current stadium protocols taking longer than expected....

2 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Innes Murray ... any good?

Hard to say really, he only came into the team in mid February so didn’t have too much time to make an impact before the season ended. I thought he looked really good on his debut against Dumbarton, seemed decent on the ball and hard working and took some decent set pieces, but he struggled to make much of an impact in the following games. I’d be surprised if he’s in the initial starting eleven for Alloa but there’s probably enough there to show he can improve and be a decent player at that level. 

7 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Only 1 match on a Saturday and no visit to Edinburgh City. 2 home matches and both midweek. How the f**k do they come up with this pish.

Pretty much the opposite of how I'd have wanted the fixtures.

IMG-20200817-WA0001.jpeg

I only checked our schedule after reading this - we got 3 Tuesdays and a Friday... just diddy organising by a diddy governing body. 

Do folk actually believe this Redknapp nonsense?

Well both Harry Redknapp and the club confirmed that talks took place so there isn't really anything to debate there. My understanding is that the club are using Redknapp's connections to sign players from abroad that we ordinarily would know very little about, but he isn't putting any of his own money into the club.

19 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Jack McKay (Paul’s bro)? Sure he was on loan from us from Leeds in the Wotherspoon era!

Was just about to say hope it's not him! No offence to the boy but he's no very good. 

1 hour ago, Uniform11 said:

Do folk actually believe this Redknapp nonsense?

While I'm not in the know or anything like that, I would have to assume guys like Thomas Robert and Griffin Sabatini, even if they turn out to be rotten, aren't going to sign for Airdrie of their own volition. Whether it's the Redknapp/McKay connection or something else (though I'm inclined to believe it is the former given the club have confirmed it) there's obviously something pulling them here. 

23 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Jack McKay (Paul’s bro)? Sure he was on loan from us from Leeds in the Wotherspoon era!

If I am right and it is him then goals will be in short supply. 15 games and one goal but it might have been a last minute winner/or a draw, so I will grovel if he improves. 

2 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Well both Harry Redknapp and the club confirmed that talks took place so there isn't really anything to debate there. My understanding is that the club are using Redknapp's connections to sign players from abroad that we ordinarily would know very little about, but he isn't putting any of his own money into the club.

I think it is more the McKays who are involved with Redknapp possibly more of a PR role ,   The West Ham laddies have been strongky touted for a while, although the ITK  on here have been quiet recently,   

Don't have the best track record from the League of Ireland - such luminaries as Joe Gorman, James Daly and Ally Roy come to mind - but there are decent players at that level and he could be a find. Bit concerned he won't have played in essentially a year by the time the season comes round but hopefully he'll develop into a handy player. Good to get another forward in anyway. 

Club Season League National Cup League Cup Europe Other Total
Division Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals
Leeds United EFL Championship 2017–18 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0
Bohemians League of Ireland Premier Division 2018 31 5 4 2 2 1 2 0 39 8
Derry City 2019 20 3 1 1 21 4
Cork City 2019 11 0 2 0 13 0
Career Total 62 8 6 2 4 2 0 0 0 0 74 12

Seems to be with the same agency as Griffin Sabatini so I guess that makes some sense. He doesn't seem to have played anywhere since 2019 and doesn't have a particularly great scoring record, though looking at that video he seems like more of a wide player/attacking midfielder than an out and out striker. We definitely needed another forward player though so good to get one in. 

As I said on twitter.

If you get the boy that signed for bohs its a good signing.

If you get the guy who was at Derry it's a bit of a meh signing.

If you get the guy who was at cork it's an absolute waste of money as he was murder.

Hasn't played for a year and not surprising with how bad he was haha.