The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

25 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

He'll do ok for Cove IMO. he was a decent scorer at this level without being anything fantastic, and nothing will really spring to mind in 15 years time when someone mentions his name. This is about his level IMO.

Yeah I agree with this. Solid striker at this level and good for double figures, especially if Cove are in the same scoring form they were in last year.

He was a strange player at Airdrie, ended up with double figures due to a flurry of goals in the meaningless last few games but he was still our best forward that season. I don’t think anyone was too bothered to see him go though, as for all he managed double figures I never really felt he looked composed in front of goal. Missed a few good chances which ultimately cost us with how many home games we lost 1-0 that season.

Am I correct in thinking players return to training this weekend ? And Murray returns to work ? Would be good to hear from him about what he makes of the season finished / upcoming and the squad taking shape . Don’t think we’ve heard from him since after the last game we played about his thoughts.

Still hopeful we will add at least 3 to the squad.

15 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

Am I correct in thinking players return to training this weekend ? And Murray returns to work ? Would be good to hear from him about what he makes of the season finished / upcoming and the squad taking shape . Don’t think we’ve heard from him since after the last game we played about his thoughts.

Still hopeful we will add at least 3 to the squad.

Agree there are still a few pieces to come together,   assistant manager required,  West ham loanees (although rumoured to be only one now ??).  

Looking at current squads and signings Falkirk and East Fife seem to be building strong squads for this season,   we are very much an unknown at the moment,  Probably scrape top 4 at best i would think unless we get the experienced heads we need.

8 hours ago, Passionate said:

Agree there are still a few pieces to come together,   assistant manager required,  West ham loanees (although rumoured to be only one now ??).  

Looking at current squads and signings Falkirk and East Fife seem to be building strong squads for this season,   we are very much an unknown at the moment,  Probably scrape top 4 at best i would think unless we get the experienced heads we need.

I cant really disagree, Thistle wont be far away, Falkirk have had there "bedding in" year last year and will know what's required to get out the league now, and I expect to see them scrapping for the title.  Montrose have proved they're more than capable of mounting a playoff challenge, and have retained a lot of that gelled team that's done so well over the last few years.  East fife again, will look to improve on recent years and will also be targeting a playoff.  Then of course Cove coming up, who I don't doubt will make another couple of "big name" signings for this league.

We really have to hit the ground running this year and not lose any ground within the first 6 weeks, it will be a close league with half to 3/4 aiming for that top 4.

15 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Interesting video this. Apparently teenage Dean Ritchie had shown an interest in coaching kids at Hearts. Seems to have an excellent attitude (and an existing relationship with Dale Carrick).

Dean Ritchie the new player/assistant manager? 🤪

With the news that lower league training cannot begin until 24th August at the earliest,  things look to be turning a little sinister,

If training begins and stricter protocols are adhered to,  how will the 'hybrid,' work,  we have 4 part time players out of a squad of 22.  2 x keepers Currie and Hutts,  and 2 x strikers seagal and Carrick also Prunty as coach ?,   How will part time players and coaches be allowed to integrate with the full time bubble so to speak.  Reading the latest guidelines it seems pretty impossible....

With the news that lower league training cannot begin until 24th August at the earliest,  things look to be turning a little sinister,

If training begins and stricter protocols are adhered to,  how will the 'hybrid,' work,  we have 4 part time players out of a squad of 22.  2 x keepers Currie and Hutts,  and 2 x strikers seagal and Carrick also Prunty as coach ?,   How will part time players and coaches be allowed to integrate with the full time bubble so to speak.  Reading the latest guidelines it seems pretty impossible....

Not read the latest guidelines but to be fair our return to training seemed a little premature in comparison to our counterparts any way. I’d imagine we will play little friendlies and with the betfred cup not to start until October a later return to training might not make much difference.

Hope that there’s not more to it

8 hours ago, Ayr Diamond said:

I would think that if they did restart training on the 24th of Aug they would probably use the Betfred cup the way they would use like friendlies .

The Bet Fred normally hinges on your first game, if you lose, the rest of the games are glorified friendlies anyway, that's  why it is seeded.

On 02/08/2020 at 20:41, Ayr Diamond said:

I didn't rate him when he was at Airdrie and i wasn't that impressed with him at Peterhead so it's a no from me ,but i would give it another week and i think we'll be impressed with our new signings.

That's a couple of weeks down the road,  with young Sabatini being the only addition,   Still to be overly impressed to be honest, we have glaring holes in midfield and upfront ...  Are the 2 West Ham laddies still coming rumoured to be only 1 now....

11 hours ago, Passionate said:

Thomson also part time, think maybe the boy walker is as well. Surprised we haven't got a full time keeper not sure how training will work with that

Things have gone deadly quiet apart from fans sponsoring jerseys. Is there any news of any further signings, particularly players or player coming from West Ham? It is clear that lower level teams like us are finding finance and the legal requirements of Covid 19 challenging. Club are, as usual, tight lipped. 

46 minutes ago, waysider said:

Things have gone deadly quiet apart from fans sponsoring jerseys. Is there any news of any further signings, particularly players or player coming from West Ham? It is clear that lower level teams like us are finding finance and the legal requirements of Covid 19 challenging. Club are, as usual, tight lipped. 

According to the squad list thread you have over 20 players already signed up. Are you expecting many more to join?

9 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

According to the squad list thread you have over 20 players already signed up. Are you expecting many more to join?

A lot of talk of west ham players, would like to think at least 2 will be here soon, a striker is a must. 

20 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Our squad numbers run up to 25 at the moment with three gaps so I'm expecting another two or three players in. Even as it stands the squad is probably bigger than what most teams in this league will have, albeit ours is padded out with four or five players from last season's reserves. Much like last season when we had about 35 players including the reserves, I'm not sure whether signing all these reserve players is the best idea when we could have one or two better players for the cost of their wages, though there's definitely a balance needed between Airdrie last season and Stevie Aitken's Dumbarton team.