The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Highlights reels are always going to be a bit one-sided and of course it's impossible (for me) to judge the level he's playing at there, but that was some pretty darned good close control, he's quick with the ball at his feet and he stood up to at least one heavy challenge there - which I jalouse he'll be doing a lot of in League One.

And here are his Ukranian Premier League highlights.  I won't pretend I'm familiar with the standard of football there, but what it's worth their league's UEFA co-efficient is 10, Scotland's is 14 which I think means we're a stick on to walk this league, looking - as has been said on this thread already - suave as all hell doing so.

Just now, Tulloch Gorum said:

And here are his Ukranian Premier League highlights.  I won't pretend I'm familiar with the standard of football there, but what it's worth their league's UEFA co-efficient is 10, Scotland's is 14 which I think means we're a stick on to walk this league, looking - as has been said on this thread already - suave as all hell doing so.

He's only played 20 minutes in the Ukrainian Premier League, most of those highlights look like reserve games or whatever from the nick of the stadiums.

1 minute ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Lower half Premiership, top half Championship I would say. Since the Russian invasion and the fall of Metalist, Dnipro and the general mass influx of foreign players, it’s died a death.

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

I'm really enjoying these type of signings. No idea if they're any good but much more interesting than signing someone from another League One team. 

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

This could absolutely terrible but least its much more interesting than usual

He's no Gavin Griffin but I'm sure he'll be fine. Agree with the above sentiment. Whether we'll turn out to be the second coming of the Spanish Armada or Claude Anelka Raith Rovers or Paul Hartley Falkirk bad, it's much more exciting than signing from the same cohort of jobbers who you are know are definitely rubbish anyway. 

1 hour ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Highlights reels are always going to be a bit one-sided and of course it's impossible (for me) to judge the level he's playing at there, but that was some pretty darned good close control, he's quick with the ball at his feet and he stood up to at least one heavy challenge there - which I jalouse he'll be doing a lot of in League One.

Better than Ricky Waddell's custom-made 'highlights' video anyway. 

Griffin and Tam could well be the most fouled players in the league this coming season, if they play anything like their profile (and always-dubious highlight reels) indicate. 

Impossible not to be excited about these sorts of signings, which if nothing else are refreshingly different and curiosity piquing. 

October needs to get a fucking move on. 

14 hours ago, airdrieman said:

He's no Gavin Griffin but I'm sure he'll be fine. Agree with the above sentiment. Whether we'll turn out to be the second coming of the Spanish Armada or Claude Anelka Raith Rovers or Paul Hartley Falkirk bad, it's much more exciting than signing from the same cohort of jobbers who you are know are definitely rubbish anyway. 

Even if Robert and Sabatini don’t work out we still won’t be as bad as those teams (hopefully!). We still have the same settled core from last seasons squad and even some of our signings this summer (Currie and O’Reilly) are known quantities. I’d be concerned if we signed a full team of unknown players like your examples but signing a few of them is great fun. Much more exciting than signing Kieran Millar and Nat Wedderburn anyway.

I’m well aware that other signings may improve things but I’m worried about the direction we are going in. Apart from Currie, none of the signings have yet broken through. I doubt if many fans have heard of any of them. Hopefully, some of them will fulfil their stated potential but some of them won’t. It is very dangerous putting out a team full of youngsters with minimum experience in this brutal league. We don’t have enough experience particularly in midfield. I fear this season may lead to further disappointment for the long suffering Airdrie fans.

As I said above, I know more players can still come in but unless we achieve a better balance it looks like a long hard season. I hope I’m wrong.