The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Why we assuming Ritchie is gods gift he played with Cumbernauld colts and is 19[emoji23] most people on here where preaching experience >Kerr/McKay...

Him and McKay are literally our only centre mids so currently yes of course he makes the team, I would expect other arrivals to compete for that position before the start of the season in October. We have no idea how good Ritchie is but he's came through a decent academy at Hearts, McCann and MacDonald were in similar positions when they signed in that they came through Premiership academies and hadn't played any senior football. It would be overly optimistic to claim Ritchie will do as well as them when I don't know anything about the lad but there's no reason why he can't do well. I don't expect him to be in the team when we start playing competitive games but don't write him off before he's had a chance to even train with the squad.

6 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Jack Leitch has left Peterhead. Seems to have done really well for them and could be a decent signing if he returned.

As before I rarely see "returners" positively ( except Coyle) but watching Leitch in the Peterhead games last season , its a no from me. 

1 hour ago, Ayr Diamond said:

I didn't rate him when he was at Airdrie and i wasn't that impressed with him at Peterhead so it's a no from me ,but i would give it another week and i think we'll be impressed with our new signings.

Leitch did well when Peterhead won league 2,  struggled with ourselves and Peterhead in league 1.   Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Stirling or Queens Park....

More new signings without being overly critical of recruitment at the moment,  the signings so far have not been overly impressive...    I still think we need at least 3 players  for the starting  11,   

2 hours ago, Ayr Diamond said:

I didn't rate him when he was at Airdrie and i wasn't that impressed with him at Peterhead so it's a no from me ,but i would give it another week and i think we'll be impressed with our new signings.

You tease. 

On 31/07/2020 at 17:30, airdrieman said:

Based on the squad we've signed so far I can see us going with something like: 

Currie 

MacDonald Fordyce Crighton McCann 

McKay   Ritchie 

O'Reilly Robert Carrick 

Gallagher 

This looks like an annoyingly decent team from the outside looking in. Love your defence. I think at this point in order to field a team of 11 we’d have to stick a goalie outfield.

Anyway, just wondering if there’s been any real insight into Robert yet? Are you lot training? Not sure how hybrid teams work re: furlough etc

This looks like an annoyingly decent team from the outside looking in. Love your defence. I think at this point in order to field a team of 11 we’d have to stick a goalie outfield.
Anyway, just wondering if there’s been any real insight into Robert yet? Are you lot training? Not sure how hybrid teams work re: furlough etc

Midfield still needs work as McKay and Ritchie are in there as the only options rather than as the best options. Can't imagine us fans will know much about Robert's ability until the pre-season friendlies and that's if the club have sorted out the plans to stream live games by then. The club recently announced that the squad would begin training on the 15th of August.

7 minutes ago, Mr November said:

So far this summer we've signed players from Stranraer, Truro City, Hearts, St. Johnstone, Montpellier and SC Dnipro 1. Certainly a much more diverse list than usual...

Absolutely pissing myself at how large a network your scouting team must be. It's certainly more exiting than the usual league 1 jobbers folk sign.

Any jobs going in a foreign country for me?