The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

The back 4 have done very well as a 4 so I wouldn’t want to change that . As far as a starting 11 I’d go with a 4-2-3-1 .

Currie

MacDonald Sean Fordyce Mccann

McKay (NEW CDM)

Robert Carrick O’Reilly

Gallagher

That leaves Hutton obviously as cover for currie . Mbayo and Kerr as cover for the defence and Thomson and Roy as cover for the attacking positions . Still feel we will need to add to the squad especially in midfield. As I’ve mentioned before they player we get for the middle with McKay is crucial imo someone with a bit of experience and added quality would really kick us on. I’d possibly bring in a new CAM but as people have mentioned previously in here it may be worth giving carrick a go there.

At no point, let me state for the record m'lud, was I arguing we should be going to a back 3. Just wondering if the arrival of Mbayo suggests that could be the direction of travel.

I'd be hoping we start the season with the settled back 4 that did so well last go around. I guess we can't and won't get any inkling until the league cup.

Here's hoping we get some decent opening fixtures this afternoon, with the better away trips pushed back until the new year to increase the odds we can get along to them. 

46 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Two trips to Falkirk and Thistle 

That's pretty shit for us to only get those teams once at home, as the other 7 teams don't really bring much of an away support and are probably less attractive for home supporters to go and watch as well. 

edit: 7 other teams, apparently I can't count.

Edited by G_H

Away form was very good last year and given that we might not get to the early away games, having two visits to Falkirk and Partick is great news. 12 points nailed on. 

Broadwood on boxing day.

Pretty happy with the way it has shaken out. 

I've seen a few people complaining about having to play both Thistle and Falkirk away twice but TBH I much prefer that. Our home record has been dreadful and there will be a much better (and more positive) atmosphere at those away games that I'm sure the players will respond to. At our level playing in half empty all-seated stadiums (like us, Falkirk and Thistle will be) 'home advantage' is practically non-existent. 

On a more holistic level too playing Thistle and Falkirk is a much better day out than playing at home. I almost resent going to home games it's that bad at times. 

Edited to add: We better be allowed in for Thistle away on the second week! 

Edited by airdrieman

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

At no point, let me state for the record m'lud, was I arguing we should be going to a back 3. Just wondering if the arrival of Mbayo suggests that could be the direction of travel.

I'd be hoping we start the season with the settled back 4 that did so well last go around. I guess we can't and won't get any inkling until the league cup.

Here's hoping we get some decent opening fixtures this afternoon, with the better away trips pushed back until the new year to increase the odds we can get along to them. 

While I don't know what Ian Murray's plans are for the team (hopefully he does at least) I see Mbayo as being a backup. Last season when we had a full selection of players we had two defenders in Kerr and Eckersley on the bench. So presumably Mbayo is essentially a cheaper replacement for Eckersley. Even if they move Kerr into the midfield, which I'm still hoping they don't, Mbayo will still be the substitute defender. 

11 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I've seen a few people complaining about having to play both Thistle and Falkirk away twice but TBH I much prefer that. Our home record has been dreadful and there will be a much better (and more positive) atmosphere at those away games that I'm sure the players will respond to. At our level playing in half empty all-seated stadiums (like us, Falkirk and Thistle will be) 'home advantage' is practically non-existent. 

On a more holistic level too playing Thistle and Falkirk is a much better day out than playing at home. I almost resent going to home games it's that bad at times. 

Completely agree with all of this.

The only thing I would say is that financially it is a big disadvantage. Partick and Falkirk in a title race would bring at least an average a 1000 fans each I'd say (depending on the time of the season). 2000 fans is probably 25-30k loss to the club. Not counting the increase in home support for those games. However, this is all based on the massive assumption that fans would be able to attend anyway, which for part of the season I'm sure they wont.

It will surely be an issue for the club financially only having 13 home games and only 2 of those involving any kind of decent away support. The good thing is the Partick and Falkirk matches aren't until the new year, so all going well we should get big crowds. If they were in the first few weeks when fans couldn't attend it would have been a disaster.

As you say though, in a playing sense I'd have preferred 2 away games over 2 home games anyway. Home advantage is minimal at this level and for us has been a disadvantage in recent years. A vocal away support like at Falkirk last season is better than the critical home support with no atmosphere.

21 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Doubt it, but there is a decent wee view from the canal... Thankfully there's a much better chance come 13th March for Airdrie to give me a late birthday present. 

I agree entirely that the away days are a better day out and think we've got some crackers in prospect there, at times of the season when the chances of fans being allowed, especially away fans, are higher than they will be early doors. 

Completely agree with all of this.
The only thing I would say is that financially it is a big disadvantage. Partick and Falkirk in a title race would bring at least an average a 1000 fans each I'd say (depending on the time of the season). 2000 fans is probably 25-30k loss to the club. Not counting the increase in home support for those games. However, this is all based on the massive assumption that fans would be able to attend anyway, which for part of the season I'm sure they wont.
It will surely be an issue for the club financially only having 13 home games and only 2 of those involving any kind of decent away support. The good thing is the Partick and Falkirk matches aren't until the new year, so all going well we should get big crowds. If they were in the first few weeks when fans couldn't attend it would have been a disaster.
As you say though, in a playing sense I'd have preferred 2 away games over 2 home games anyway. Home advantage is minimal at this level and for us has been a disadvantage in recent years. A vocal away support like at Falkirk last season is better than the critical home support with no atmosphere.

Agree on these points, the timing of the visits by Thistle and Falkirk may play to Airdries advantage. But the fact that the powers at be decided we should play away from home on two occasions to both teams is poor. Yes, the financial implications are clear and it’s not rocket science to know that these teams carry the largest supports in the league. In a shortened season like this, 3 total home games from Falkirk and thistle would be good for every team. But I agree.. this may play to our advantage in the long run and if supporters can’t attend it’s a mute point. Superscoreboard just pointing out that away teams are winning more games since fans have been eliminated!

4 hours ago, airdrieman said:

While I don't know what Ian Murray's plans are for the team (hopefully he does at least) I see Mbayo as being a backup. Last season when we had a full selection of players we had two defenders in Kerr and Eckersley on the bench. So presumably Mbayo is essentially a cheaper replacement for Eckersley. Even if they move Kerr into the midfield, which I'm still hoping they don't, Mbayo will still be the substitute defender. 

I’m thinking there’s no way Kerr would have re-signed without promises of playing. At his age with being in the bench as much as he was why would he agree to that...?

It will be great to get it right up them, and as in previous posts, if we are doing well, we will take a good support with us (conditions permitting) and 2 good away days. so f$$k the SFL

47 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

I’m thinking there’s no way Kerr would have re-signed without promises of playing. At his age with being in the bench as much as he was why would he agree to that...?

He’s from Airdrie isn’t he? I suppose being local helps and we’re probably the only club that would offer him a full-time deal at the moment. While he might not be in the first choice starting 11, going by the squad so far he seems like the first player to come in if there’s an injury in defence or midfield so I imagine he’ll still play plenty of games.

Still a wee bit detached from the football scene until we actually get to see a game. The three game scenario does seem to have favoured Falkirk/Partick but some of our best performances were away last season .  At least we don't have to go down the Stranraer road! 

2 away trips to the north east in 3 weeks in January/February will have you wishing the Stranraer road back mate haha.

1 minute ago, Diamond10 said:

Two away trips to the north east in January will have you wishing the Stranraer road back mate haha.

Fair point Diamond 10. I had not seen the fixtures but from going to Peterhead last season it was much better with the Aberdeen bypass:and the Stonehaven fish supper is top notch. I suppose Cove is the other and it will be ground no 41 so worth it for that alone.