The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Don't know what to think of the new defender, released from a team below conference north/south level? "Alright" at Albion Rovers? Was at Anderlecht and Aberdeen, but did nothing with it? It's unfair to write someone off without seeing them play, so I guess we will have to wait and see.

Midfield needs some ball winning midfielders.

Up front needs someone proven to augment it rather than relying on Ally Roy if/when Gallagher/Carrick are unavailable.

35 minutes ago, G_H said:

Don't know what to think of the new defender, released from a team below conference north/south level? "Alright" at Albion Rovers? Was at Anderlecht and Aberdeen, but did nothing with it? It's unfair to write someone off without seeing them play, so I guess we will have to wait and see.

I think you have just written him off....

Young players in general don't always follow a straight line in development. Every chance he will have learned important lessons in his brief spell at Albion Rovers that pay dividends in the long run. 

If you had told certain fans that one day Kevin Nisbet would be bought by Hibs after a sensational season in the league for Dunfermline, you'd have been thought quite mad. If you'd told some fans that Lawrence Shankland would get a game for Scotland, or even for Dundee United, or be the transfer target of a number of clubs in england, you'd have been laughed out the room. 

There's nothing to gain from trying to read into his career thus far. He's a player with potential, it would seem. How far he takes that remains to be seen, but there is nothing substantive to be gleaned from his career to date. Hopefully he blossoms at Airdrie. He could fail to make the grade, he could quickly outgrow us. We shall but see. 

5 minutes ago, G_H said:

Will be happy if concerns shown to be unfounded.

Me too. I did look at his history and it is rather underwhelming . I am assuming backup though.

Regarding up front, I do hope we do bring in some decent cover.  Roy looked ok when he arrived but regressed very quickly. Maybe we will see a different player this season - one who tries to contribute, get involved, get in about the opposition and make his presence felt instead of floating about, flattering to deceive.  Maybe it is confidence. But one thing is for sure, if he continues to play the way he did when he came on last season and doesn't score, rightly or wrongly he is going to get a hard time.

Definitely agree about the need for another striker. I know there will be a lot of pressure and expectation on Thomas Robert to score and create goals but, at the moment, Gallagher is our only forward who has consistently scored goals at this level. Don't even think we necessarily need a 20 goal+ man (though wouldn't say no to one!). Somebody like Leighton McIntosh (though obviously not him haha) who'll be guaranteed to score 10-15 goals coming off the bench would be grand. 

17 hours ago, airdrieman said:

No idea what position the West Ham boys play but think we really need to add a bit of experience to the midfield. It's the only position where it's lacking at the moment and, while having a load of skilful and high quality players in the midfield is optimal, we need to have a bit of steel, nous and 'streetwiseness' as well IMO. Ross Docherty would have been perfect. 

Not sure if it is the plan but, as much as I like him and he might develop into a good player in that position, I don't think I'd want Josh Kerr to be the first choice defensive mid for what will be such an important season. It's a shortened one too so we won't have time to be developing or taking a gamble on players working in certain positions. 

I'm sure it's all in hand though. 

2 hours ago, G_H said:

Midfield needs some ball winning midfielders.

I don't know if he's genuinely available but Michael Miller, who was at Raith last season, is on the PFA player availability list could be a shout in that role. 

The forward options are rotten though 😂

5 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Definitely agree about the need for another striker. I know there will be a lot of pressure and expectation on Thomas Robert to score and create goals but, at the moment, Gallagher is our only forward who has consistently scored goals at this level. Don't even think we necessarily need a 20 goal+ man (though wouldn't say no to one!). Somebody like Leighton McIntosh (though obviously not him haha) who'll be guaranteed to score 10-15 goals coming off the bench would be grand. 

In an ideal world, and as much as I like him, I'd prefer Callum Gallagher to be the "goals from the bench" player.

I do like Gallagher, but his run timing and touch can sometimes let him down, but he is always guaranteed to fashion a chance himself or be in the right place at the right time to nick a goal, but he does struggle to stay in the game for a full 90

12 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Crighton player/assistant?

Funny I was thinking the same thing.

I think Sean was coaching at Hamilton last season but they have mothballed there setup i believe.......

On to the squad  there seems to be a level of disappointment on the new signing,   don't know a thing about the lad,  SM rated him and I'M would have clocked him playing with Aberdeen,  would imagine he is signed as cover,    what happens to Josh Kerr who was in out the defence last season,   wouldn't be surprised to see him deployed  as a defensive midfielder not sure how that would go, Kerr and McKay in the middle of the park could be a recipe for disaster, we definitely need a good midfield player who can mix it when required , a bit of 'dig etc,   to give young Robert and the likes a bit of protection, a side of the game we lacked especially against Raith last season.

Maybe it’s just me, but we seem to be a bit heavy in terms of numbers in defence and up front - yet really light in midfield.

Don't get me wrong, I know that Burke and Walker are still young lads, but aside from them we have four centre backs and only two full backs. Given that Crighton and Fordyce played most games last season (and rightly so in my view, as they are our best defenders), it seems a bit excessive. I’d have thought we’d maybe want more cover in the full back positions.

In terms of strikers, again we have a couple of young lads there but five in all, which seems a lot given the financial climate we’re in. Yet I still feel we may be a player short in that area.

Given that we only really have one out and out centre mid (and even then, he’s more a utility player) I still think we need two players in that position. I’d feel better if we added a fourth ‘experienced’ winger to O’Reilly, Robert and Thomson too. 

Think what I’m trying to say is that I feel we’re four players short (full back, centre mid x2 and striker) but the squad already seems pretty big, so would be surprised if we got all that!

Pleased with most of the business the club has done and the team is definitely taking shape - with those positions I’ve suggested above filled, I think we’ll be there or there about at the top of the league, but I just hope we’re not over stretching ourselves financially by having a bulky squad!

2 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

Expect the assistant manager to have two roles at the club that’s all I’m saying!

Colin Cameron to return AND pull the boots back on. 

There's yer experienced ball winning centre mid, folks. Come to think of it, was also a dab hand at the forward pass anawl.

If it's good enough for Danny Lennon... 

Expect the assistant manager to have two roles at the club that’s all I’m saying!

I had actually thought about Stephen Whittaker coming in after hearing he was looking to get into coaching and his hibs connection with Murray. But has since gone to Dunfermline .

Will be interesting to see who comes then .

Think sorting a CM with experience and more quality than last seasons is pivotal if they go with a CDM pairing of Kerr & McKay a creative forward thinking CAM is needed. Or if like has been mentioned on here carrick drops back an experienced CDM to sit with McKay is required.

As for goals I’m not so worried I think Gallagher and Carrick will get their fair share again and hopefully Roy and Robert can chip in too. I suppose that could be a problem if carrick goes back to midfield we may need another goal scoring forward if he won’t get as many from there.

For me it has to be the signing of a proven goal scorer(s) in the Declan McManus mould.  I don't see the present strikers being able to provide the threat up front that we need to gain promotion. Gallagher will score his plus ten as always but I don't see Ally or Dale being prolific unfortunately. Just look at the sides over the past few seasons who have been promoted, they have all been able to call on a natural finisher who wins tight games for them i.e Bobby Linn (Arbroath).

The lack of goals from midfielders and defence last season was a major factor in our win ratio in evenly matched games. I would hope that our new midfield signings have goals in them.

The major plus side for me this season is starting with a quality settled defence who will only go on to improve. Just give us more threat up front and I'll be happy.