The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

31 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Seen him play a few times, he’s young and most won’t have heard of him but wouldn’t expect him to play much if I’m honest

I was vaguely hopeful of another Thomas Robert by getting this guy for a season, seen as west ham were mentioned earlier in the thread!:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11685/12009911/jeremy-ngakia-west-ham-defender-attracting-bundesliga-interest

That said, we already have an excellent right back for this level in Kyle MacDonald

Edited by G_H

19 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Seen him play a few times, he’s young and most won’t have heard of him but wouldn’t expect him to play much if I’m honest

I'm intrigued! Without knowing who the player is of course, as you say if they're that bad, chances are they won't feature too much anyway and will largely be there to fill a spot on the bench/for emergency use only. MacDonald, McCann and Crighton were all virtual ever presents last season and I think Fordyce literally was. Kerr and McKay can play at the back too and with a shortened season, if they're offensively bad then they probably won't feature much barring disaster. 

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I'm intrigued! Without knowing who the player is of course, as you say if they're that bad, chances are they won't feature too much anyway and will largely be there to fill a spot on the bench/for emergency use only. MacDonald, McCann and Crighton were all virtual ever presents last season and I think Fordyce literally was. Kerr and McKay can play at the back too and with a shortened season, if they're offensively bad then they probably won't feature much barring disaster. 

Well I heard it would be announced a few days ago but haven’t heard anything since so the deal might be off

34 minutes ago, Ayr Diamond said:

That's the signings for now ,well until the young lads from WHU appear but if anything happens i'll keep you informed.

When did Ceefax move to Ayr???

Still think we need to add a couple of midfielders (holding and box-to-box) and another striker. No idea what position the West Ham boys play but think we really need to add a bit of experience to the midfield. It's the only position where it's lacking at the moment and, while having a load of skilful and high quality players in the midfield is optimal, we need to have a bit of steel, nous and 'streetwiseness' as well IMO. Ross Docherty would have been perfect. 

Not sure if it is the plan but, as much as I like him and he might develop into a good player in that position, I don't think I'd want Josh Kerr to be the first choice defensive mid for what will be such an important season. It's a shortened one too so we won't have time to be developing or taking a gamble on players working in certain positions. 

I'm sure it's all in hand though. 

1 hour ago, Ayr Diamond said:

That's the signings for now ,well until the young lads from WHU appear but if anything happens i'll keep you informed.

Thanks again for keeping us informed 3 out of 3 signing predictions that must be a Pie and Bovril record...

Looking forward to see how the squad ends up, still think midfield is very light,  hopefully that area will be filled in due course....

2 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Maybe not the most exciting news but squad numbers appear to have been updated on the club website. Currie 20, Mbayo 14, Robert 11, O'Reilly 17. Also McCann changing to 3 and Roy changing to 10.

Ally Roy as the modern No 10-there we have it? I remain old fashioned 1-11 but recognise that those days are gone. Like others I am happy at progress but there is a midfield puzzle there. Good luck to all the new guys and anyone pulling on a Diamond.

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Ally Roy as the modern No 10-there we have it? I remain old fashioned 1-11 but recognise that those days are gone. Like others I am happy at progress but there is a midfield puzzle there. Good luck to all the new guys and anyone pulling on a Diamond.

I do agree with the 1-11 on the shirts.  Got used to seeing squad numbers help identify who new players were.  Then the names appear towards the end of the season. Always thought the little number in the diamond at the back was our thing maybe almost as much as the diamond.  It perhaps made our top just as distinctive. 

Not sure on the rules in domestic football are like europe with set size of letters and numbers but I'd love to see the little number return.

Will be interesting to see how Mbayo develops; unless there's a formation shift in the offing, or a change in how the lad is utilised, it is difficult to see his starting ahead of Fordyce or Crighton, at least as things stand. 

Have to say i'm very pleased with the business done so far and the shape of the squad; we do look like needing a few more bodies in central midfield, as @airdrieman and others have said including a box-to box mid and a creative source, but still time between now and early October to get business done, with loans to come as alluded to. That we have kept a good number of the successes from last season on, keeping in turn the lions share of a squad that by all accounts made for a very good dressing room, and added some young talent to it, is really heartening. 

Roll on October, lads and lassies.