The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

39 minutes ago, Ayr Diamond said:

I think you might find the starting line up wont be anything like that starting 11 with one signing lminent and 2 possibly 3 players coming in from West Ham.

I hear Mario Gotze is also available on a free 😛

31 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Exciting times.

20200712_150809.jpg

I quite like the model tbh, and hopeful that it works out. I think that it's probably rarer that someone who breaks through to a first team in their 20's is going to go on to be successful than someone good enough to get there in their teens.

I'm sure a reserve team will be revisited when the club and the football environment are in a position to do so.

59 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Exciting times.

20200712_150809.jpg

A fair bit of salt in that from the "hack" writing it.

I must say I'm genuinely not too fussed by the mothballing of the academy and reserves. For every 4 seasons of it we have 1 or 2 coming through, it's not as if it was a conveyor belt of talent and £k's every year in sell on fees.

Id much rather go down the route they seem to be mentioning of the promising youngsters from Elsewhere and if it works and we have success, then great!

19 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

A fair bit of salt in that from the "hack" writing it.

I must say I'm genuinely not too fussed by the mothballing of the academy and reserves. For every 4 seasons of it we have 1 or 2 coming through, it's not as if it was a conveyor belt of talent and £k's every year in sell on fees.

Id much rather go down the route they seem to be mentioning of the promising youngsters from Elsewhere and if it works and we have success, then great!

Its important now more than ever that we get it right on the first team pitch and if that means no academy then so be it, like you said its not as if we've produced player after player from it, can't really think of any in the last 5 years that are good enough to take us where we want to be.

Exciting times.
20200712_150809.thumb.jpg.765bf3643109005ee70b2e54c38dfe6a.jpg

Enjoy how the writer recognises that this is absolutely beneficial to the club but still manages to be salty about it. Realistically almost every club is mothballing reserves and academy this season, if we didn't do it too our reserves would have no one to play against. In the current scenario that money is much better spent on the first team. And it's not like we've abandoned our reserves, five have been kept on by the club, which is as many as we could've expected to ever break into the first team. As for "exploiting financial crisis", what does that even mean? Interesting that when it's fresh on the scene clubs like Cove or Kelty Hearts attracting players from a higher level it's "ambition" but when it's us we're "exploiting financial crisis".

4 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

Exciting times.

20200712_150809.jpg

Where to even begin with that? I bet if we'd kept our reserves and academy, resulting in us having less to spend on the first team and thus meaning we spent another season or two plodding around League 1* the same 'writer' would be decrying us for lacking ambition. 

'Exploiting the current state of coronavirus chaos'. What does that even mean? Should we just not release or sign any players? What good would that do for the same young players he's talking about to spend another season at Airdrie not playing football when they can find another club that's willing to give them the game time they need to develop? 

In an ideal world we would have an academy and a reserve team (oh wait, we did) but the world we're living in is no longer ideal. It would not be economical to be running an academy and reserve team in the current climate, especially at the level we're currently at. At the end of the day, if we want to be in a strong enough position to develop and produce our own players (to a decent standard), we need to be in the Championship or above. 

'Starry-eyed'. Give me a break. No chance that writer could name even one player who played in our reserves side last season. 

No disrespect to any of the players who were let go but of course I would much rather have players who are already good enough to be playing at a higher level and who will take the first team to the next level, than players who might do 'okay' if they got a game. Obviously. If any of the reserve or academy players let go end up proving themselves to be good enough then they may very well return one day. No reason why any or all of the academy players, who are still young enough to play at that level, can't return either once we are able to implement an academy system again. 

I will enjoy the ride thank you.

*Obviously this could still happen anyway but it's nice of the club to show a bit of ambition and a real desire to get promoted. 

How do you sell on a player who has only signed a 1 year deal? A January transfer would be a nominal fee given all that is left of the contract or it will be pre contract/free in the summer.

I would assume the club would offer a contract extension in November/December like they did last season with key players should he succeed. No guarantee it would be accepted but I assume that is the idea.

6 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

Exciting times.

20200712_150809.jpg

I assume faux outrage sells more papers these days.

As far as I can tell, Robert is signed to play in the first team as a replacement for one of last season's squad (Smith/Ryan?) who choose to move to another club, so it's entirely possible that the decision to suspend the youth academy is nothing to do with his signing and much more to do with the fact that clubs have much less money this season.

That said, it would be too much to expect a sports journalist who's stock in trade is discussing greivance to acknowledge that.

Edited by stuartcraig
mispelling

53 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Where to even begin with that? I bet if we'd kept our reserves and academy, resulting in us having less to spend on the first team and thus meaning we spent another season or two plodding around League 1* the same 'writer' would be decrying us for lacking ambition. 

'Exploiting the current state of coronavirus chaos'. What does that even mean? Should we just not release or sign any players? What good would that do for the same young players he's talking about to spend another season at Airdrie not playing football when they can find another club that's willing to give them the game time they need to develop? 

In an ideal world we would have an academy and a reserve team (oh wait, we did) but the world we're living in is no longer ideal. It would not be economical to be running an academy and reserve team in the current climate, especially at the level we're currently at. At the end of the day, if we want to be in a strong enough position to develop and produce our own players (to a decent standard), we need to be in the Championship or above. 

'Starry-eyed'. Give me a break. No chance that writer could name even one player who played in our reserves side last season. 

No disrespect to any of the players who were let go but of course I would much rather have players who are already good enough to be playing at a higher level and who will take the first team to the next level, than players who might do 'okay' if they got a game. Obviously. If any of the reserve or academy players let go end up proving themselves to be good enough then they may very well return one day. No reason why any or all of the academy players, who are still young enough to play at that level, can't return either once we are able to implement an academy system again. 

I will enjoy the ride thank you.

*Obviously this could still happen anyway but it's nice of the club to show a bit of ambition and a real desire to get promoted. 

Personally I think it is a pretty good article by IMO one of the best reporter's doing the rounds at the moment,   there is no such thing as bad publicity,  People are starting to take notice,  let's all be United and strap ourselves into Harry's express and see where we end up,   Exciting times ahead and hats off to all behind the scenes making this happen..

3 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Excuse me for being thick but which paper is this and is it all Scott Mcdermo... , whoever that is? The sub heading certainly condemns and praises in one sentence. How many young guys have come through in the last few seasons before being shifted on?

It’s Gordon parks and the Sunday mail 

1 minute ago, Spanish Armada said:

It’s Gordon parks and the Sunday mail 

Thanks for that info. I will take a bit of time to analyse what he wrote. He used to be a goalie if I am correct.?  It is amusing to see him writing about "the whiff of disaster capitalism" in the sports pages of a capitalist enterprise?

1 hour ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:
6 hours ago, Diamond8 said:
Exciting times.
20200712_150809.thumb.jpg.765bf3643109005ee70b2e54c38dfe6a.jpg

How do you sell on a player who has only signed a 1 year deal? A January transfer would be a nominal fee given all that is left of the contract or it will be pre contract/free in the summer.

Sure we would be due some sort of development fee at a minimum. I've also heard that a deal is already done for the boy to move on.

I would assume the club would offer a contract extension in November/December like they did last season with key players should he succeed. No guarantee it would be accepted but I assume that is the idea.
A player who reportedly turned down a 4 year deal with his last club in order to get 1st team football and put himself in a shop window is not going to sign an extension to a 1 year deal. If he wanted the security of a longer deal he'd have stayed at Montpellier.

This is a deal which suits the player and his agent who is undoubtedly hoping to secure the client a good contract elsewhere with him making a move wee cut. Also suits us if the player performs well but there is f**k all chance of the club making money from him so in that respect, amongst others, the article is a pile of shite.

6 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:
9 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:
Sure we would be due some sort of development fee at a minimum. I've also heard that a deal is already done for the boy to move on.

A development fee for one (shortened) season will amount to bugger all.

We are unlikely to know the ins and outs of said deals that being even if there is very little fee generated its still more than has been in previous years. He could also turn out to be a total star and fire us well on our way to getting out of this league. I genuinely don't see your grievances here, we've stayed in this league with a total failure of a setup these changes could be the catalyst to changing our fortunes.

We are unlikely to know the ins and outs of said deals that being even if there is very little fee generated its still more than has been in previous years. He could also turn out to be a total star and fire us well on our way to getting out of this league. I genuinely don't see your grievances here, we've stayed in this league with a total failure of a setup these changes could be the catalyst to changing our fortunes.
I don't have a grievance other than with the article suggesting it's a money making scheme.