The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Happy with O'Reilly signing, he really looked a player in the small sample we seen. Pacey, direct and a genuine natural wide player.

I like Thomson out wide as well and he's OK for this level but struggles against the better defensively organised sides.

Depending on where Tam Roberts best position is, we might see Thomson, Robert and O'Reilly together in the middle with possibly Kerr holding and Carrick in the 10?

Any ITK care to share a bit more who the next signing could be on Monday?

4 hours ago, G_H said:

Don't really recall O'Reilly, but good to see the midfield getting fleshed out. 

I reckon there's probably 3 spaces left in the squad to get filled, 2 midfielders and a striker maybe?

Would make the most sense to me. Would love an experienced holding mid and box-to-box midfidler to come in next. 

4 hours ago, Ayr Diamond said:

Another signing on Monday / Tuesday   defender.

Or not! Some defensive backup wouldn't go amiss TBF. 

32 minutes ago, BinosCammy said:

Kurtis Roberts just signed for us, how was he for you boys last season 

He’ll be a good signing for League Two.

Airdrie fans are quite split on Roberts, some seem to think he was our best player while others weren’t too unhappy to see him go. He was excellent during our winning run in October/November but outside of that I felt he never really got going. He seemed to have fitness issues and rarely played a full 90 minutes, even during his great form he was still subbed in every game (albeit mostly late on). He scored a few goals and was probably the only player in our team who was capable of making good forward runs from midfield. 

I don’t think we ever saw the best of either of them last season but if you can get Roberts and Ryan then it should be an exciting team to watch.

He was'nt a player anyone knew much about but we were told he was a box to box midfielder with plenty energy , and i'd agree he always gave 100% but he wasn't always that great his best display was at Falkirk and apart from that he was average.

9 hours ago, JmSG said:

About former airdrie players, I want to ask about Jim "Jolly" Rodger, he was mainly a left-back, correct? ... Can anyone remember if he played on many occasions as a left midfielder or rather was a left-back who joined the attack

Jolly was overwhelmingly an attacking left back, and a very resolute defender. In the Diamonds Hall of fame.  I can't be sure of playing outwith a 4-4-2 set up. 

6 hours ago, BinosCammy said:

Kurtis Roberts just signed for us, how was he for you boys last season 

If you go back a couple of pages you’ll find plenty of discussion on Kurtis Roberts. 

He’s a player who’ll bring plenty of dynamism and energy to your midfield. Excellent on the counter attack. Was popular with the fans but face never fit with the management team for whatever reason - fitness or otherwise. His only consistent run in the team saw Airdrie go top of the league which I don’t think was a coincidence. 

We never really got the best out of him but if you do you’ll have a very decent player, especially at that level, on your hands. 

Im pretty sure that if it wasn't for the injuries that he has had over the past  couple of seasons Euan O'Reilly would be in the St Johnstone first team squad by now.The injuries have held up his development and he now needs a run of games..There are obviously no guarantees but I reckon you have signed a very good player.

12 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

If you go back a couple of pages you’ll find plenty of discussion on Kurtis Roberts. 

He’s a player who’ll bring plenty of dynamism and energy to your midfield. Excellent on the counter attack. Was popular with the fans but face never fit with the management team for whatever reason - fitness or otherwise. His only consistent run in the team saw Airdrie go top of the league which I don’t think was a coincidence. 

We never really got the best out of him but if you do you’ll have a very decent player, especially at that level, on your hands. 

Interestingly saw on twitter Stuart Millar has said we offered Kurtis a new deal but he decided to turn it down.

I really liked Kurtis and thought he gave us something different in midfield but you could clearly see his fitness was an issue...more often than not after an hour he was blowing which usually resulted in him being subbed. Would have liked to have seen him sign on again however but he's definitely not someone who is irreplaceable.

Also, not sure I entirely buy into the idea that it was his consistency in the team that took us to the top of the league tbh, going back to that spell both Carrick and Gallagher really hit a real purple patch and they were both pretty much on the scoresheet every week. Not dismissing Roberts had a vital part (like many others) but I really think the two strikers were the catalysts during that winning spell.

13 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

Im pretty sure that if it wasn't for the injuries that he has had over the past  couple of seasons Euan O'Reilly would be in the St Johnstone first team squad by now.The injuries have held up his development and he now needs a run of games..There are obviously no guarantees but I reckon you have signed a very good player.

It was disappointing that we lost him so early last season to injury as he certainly looked a promising player in his few appearances he made for us. Looks a fast, direct winger who likes to run at defenders so could be a vital player for us this season. By all accounts he is injury free and in good shape so here's hoping he can really kick start his career this season.

Currie

MacDonald Crighton Fordyce McCann

McKay TBC

O'Reilly Robert Carrick

Gallagher

That leaves a bench/reserve of
Hutton
Kerr
Walker
Burke
Thomson
Roy
Pyott
Moore
Hughes

Obviously that might not be the preferred formation or starting lineup, maybe Kerr or Thomson will be regular starters, but the squad's starting to shape up now. Another defender in the coming days as rumoured should complete that area and will be a welcome addition. Other than that, another striker would be useful but perhaps not a necessity, while a few midfielders still need to be signed. McKay remains our only natural centre mid, so I think we should still be trying to get about three new faces into the midfield.

On 11/07/2020 at 10:07, Ayr Diamond said:

Another signing on Monday / Tuesday   defender.

On 11/07/2020 at 11:45, Stevo1968 said:

If we’re thinking of the same one, all I’m going to say it’s like hitting a ball off a kerb.... honkin 

23 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Any ITK care to share a bit more who the next signing could be on Monday?

Insert @ewan_fife klaxon

He was'nt a player anyone knew much about but we were told he was a box to box midfielder with plenty energy , and i'd agree he always gave 100% but he wasn't always that great his best display was at Falkirk and apart from that he was average.

I agree he seemed average to me. He never really had much of a chance whether that be not being fancied or not being fit enough he didn’t live up to what I expected given the good reviews from Queen’s Park fans. Think he maybe chipped in with 1 goal 1 assist in the league similar to big Nats stats... As mentioned if you manage to get the best out Andy Ryan and Roberts back to his Queen’s Park days and a decent level of fitness they’d likely form a good partnership in league 2.

Currie

MacDonald Crighton Fordyce McCann

McKay TBC

O'Reilly Robert Carrick

Gallagher

That leaves a bench/reserve of

Hutton

Kerr

Walker

Burke

Thomson

Roy

Pyott

Moore

Hughes

Obviously that might not be the preferred formation or starting lineup, maybe Kerr or Thomson will be regular starters, but the squad's starting to shape up now. Another defender in the coming days as rumoured should complete that area and will be a welcome addition. Other than that, another striker would be useful but perhaps not a necessity, while a few midfielders still need to be signed. McKay remains our only natural centre mid, so I think we should still be trying to get about three new faces into the midfield.

Looks a solid enough team to me for next season think the midfielder that there is space for is key to next season. An experienced player with a bit extra quality than last seasons midfield is crucial imo. Otherwise, Certainly a team with hard work and pace in it . Interesting to see what tomorrow’s signing brings . Next season will be harder than ever to make the playoffs.