The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

3 hours ago, G_H said:

So when are we going to see this "title winning budget" in action, and beating top flight european teams to signing targets?

Did I miss something? When were either of those claims made? 

24 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Did I miss something? When were either of those claims made? 

This sillyness below that was posted earlier in the thread:

On 27/06/2020 at 18:09, Spanish Armada said:

but from what I hear it’s a title winning budget we have for next season 

Followed by the guessing game in the last couple of pages about Laurent Robert's kid.

The reality is that we have a while to go before any games are played, and there's plenty of time to sign players. But so far from what I see we have lost some first team players, kept on a few unproven kids to pad the squad, and generally have a weaker team.

On 08/07/2020 at 08:14, AndyDD said:

https://www.airdriefc.com/2021news/200708/Striker-Hughes-signs-up

James Hughes joins the first team squad, 17 year old striker. 

Good to see another young, homegrown player coming through. 'One of our own' as well. 

Good news. I haven't seen him play before but have heard only positive things. Brilliant that he's an Airdrie fan too and, apparently, desperate to break into the first team and do well. I know these things shouldn't matter but they do and you always get a buzz when a young homegrown player and/or supporter of the club breaks into the team and performs well. 

23 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I think Carrick's a pretty effective "10" and I wouldn't be against him in that role. He's a grafter, he's intelligent and he can chip in with goals. I'd be happy with him there if we had a "marquee" striker signing.

That's a good shout actually, though I'd still like to see some creative/attacking players signed. I don't think Carrick gets enough credit for his intelligence and footballing ability. Some of his off the ball runs are fantastic and it must have been so frustrating for him playing beside some of the duds we've had the last few years who have neither the ability or footballing brain to pick him out.  

1 minute ago, G_H said:

This sillyness below that was posted earlier in the thread:

Followed by the guessing game in the last couple of pages about Laurent Robert's kid.

The reality is that we have a while to go before any games are played, and there's plenty of time to sign players. But so far from what I see we have lost some first team players, kept on a few unproven kids to pad the squad, and generally have a weaker team.

Ahh right I see, with you now. Wondered if i'd missed some choice quote from Stuart Millar for a moment there. 

Proof will be in the pudding I guess. Still only July and not kicking a ball until October so i'm quite relaxed about the lack of replacements for the released players. 

I suppose it is technically possible to have a 'title winning budget' this time around and also have a weaker team, IF the standard is just lower right across the board and everyone ends up weaker than last season. Who knows. Maybe we will be the least weakened of a weakened bunch haha. 

We shall but see. 

2 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Good news. I haven't seen him play before but have heard only positive things. Brilliant that he's an Airdrie fan too and, apparently, desperate to break into the first team and do well. I know these things shouldn't matter but they do and you always get a buzz when a young homegrown player and/or supporter of the club breaks into the team and performs well. 

That's a good shout actually, though I'd still like to see some creative/attacking players signed. I don't think Carrick gets enough credit for his intelligence and footballing ability. Some of his off the ball runs are fantastic and it must have been so frustrating for him playing beside some of the duds we've had the last few years who have neither the ability or footballing brain to pick him out.  

I know what you mean, it adds an extra wee bonus point to it. 

Agreed about Carrick, watching him off the ball at times you can see he played at a higher level earlier in his career. A constantly working football brain. Even when our players don't pick up on it, he tends to at least drag a defender or two away to leave room for the, ahem, less sophisticated move we do make. Delighted to have him for the season ahead. 

6 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Whether he turns out to be a sensation or ends up being a total jobber, I am absolutely here for this. 

We can use a Martin Prest to Antonio Calderon scale to rate him, replacing the conventional 1-10!