The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

At any rate, a signing will be most welcome. Squad looks decent, but we all know the midfield is priority 1. 

Here's hoping we get a grafter and a creator. Never really had much creativity from the centre last season. Wide men would be handy as well; Thomson had some good games, injury didn't help him, and Roy at least has pace (you'd rather him out wide than up front, as things stand) but we need more and better options there than those two you'd expect. 

5 hours ago, AndyDD said:

At any rate, a signing will be most welcome. Squad looks decent, but we all know the midfield is priority 1. 

Here's hoping we get a grafter and a creator. Never really had much creativity from the centre last season. Wide men would be handy as well; Thomson had some good games, injury didn't help him, and Roy at least has pace (you'd rather him out wide than up front, as things stand) but we need more and better options there than those two you'd expect. 

I’ve got a feeling they’ll play Kerr in midfield, I seen SM comment on the fact the we’re looking to explore him in there further in one of the interviews...

I’ve got a feeling they’ll play Kerr in midfield, I seen SM comment on the fact the we’re looking to explore him in there further in one of the interviews...

Yeah I think the same ... a midfield with McKay and Kerr might be worth a try although it’s very defensive. Need a goal scoring number 10 as a priority

I really like Kerr as a player, solid defender and comfortable on the ball, but I wasn't convinced by him in midfield last season, which is a shame because I thought it was a good idea before they tried it. He could maybe be used as a holding midfielder that sits between defence and midfield, a bit like Wedderburn was doing at the end of last season, but I'd prefer to keep him challenging Crighton and Fordyce while bringing in more natural midfielders.

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I think Carrick's a pretty effective "10" and I wouldn't be against him in that role. He's a grafter, he's intelligent and he can chip in with goals. I'd be happy with him there if we had a "marquee" striker signing.

That's a good shout, actually. 

Gives us an in-game flexibility as well to change tack without necessarily having to make one or two subs if things don't go to plan. 

^ At that age, is there not an argument that this is still to be determined? That goes for all of them. 

'Willie Miller was a striker as a teenager' etc etc, but in all seriousness, we could easily see these guys end up excelling in a role they don't actually start in, or have yet to really be tried in. 

2 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

How much is known by folk on here about Walker and Burke? I know Moore is a winger and Hughes is a striker but those two have been described only as defenders so I'm not sure if they're centre backs or full backs?

Pretty sure Burke is a centre half and Walker is a right back.

Never seen many reserve games last season but went to the cup final at Livingston and I was impressed with Walker. Looked a solid defender and had quite a decent game, not surprised to see him being kept on.

22 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I really like Kerr as a player, solid defender and comfortable on the ball, but I wasn't convinced by him in midfield last season, which is a shame because I thought it was a good idea before they tried it. He could maybe be used as a holding midfielder that sits between defence and midfield, a bit like Wedderburn was doing at the end of last season, but I'd prefer to keep him challenging Crighton and Fordyce while bringing in more natural midfielders.

Yeah I'm the same. When he first came he took too many unnecessary risks at the back but he learned quickly and when he played at the back towards the end of the season he was excellent.

He is good on the ball by defender standards, but it's a totally different game going from defence to midfield. Just because someone can play it out from the back doesn't mean they can just slot into midfield. It's a bit like when people think a good attacking full-back could push up and play on the wing, when in reality it is totally different.

To be honest I haven't seen enough of him to really tell so not hugely opposed to it. It would depend on the system we played, if we have 3 in the middle with 2 more creative players then he would be decent as a sitting one I'm sure. But the likelihood is we will have McKay in the middle already, having Kerr and McKay would put a lot of pressure on the third midfielder to be creative.

From his own point of view it's important that he gets a run in one position and isn't just moved around and used to fill in gaps (same actually applies to McKay too). I was never Sean McIntosh's biggest fan but there's no doubt he suffered by being used in about 4 different positions so never really got any better in one of them - I see some potential similarities here. It's useful for the club to have versatile players but I'm not sure it's so good for younger players to be moved around. I hope Murray has a clear idea of where he sees him and he gets a run at some point - although if it is defence he'll have to wait his chance to get in ahead of Crighton and Fordyce. Maybe with a compressed season with less rest time there is an argument for just keeping him at centre back and rotating the 3 of them, maybe not every week, but bringing him in every few games.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

4 hours ago, DiamondJack85 said:

Pretty sure Burke is a centre half and Walker is a right back.

Never seen many reserve games last season but went to the cup final at Livingston and I was impressed with Walker. Looked a solid defender and had quite a decent game, not surprised to see him being kept on.

The club are now up to a squad of 17 ,  we really need to sign 5 quality starters to improve the team and take us to the next level,  We have a also re signed 5 promising young players with no reserve team to p!ay in, could this move prove costly in more ways than one,