The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

9 hours ago, JmSG said:

Good morning, I will put this here because I cannot find any Airdrieonians forum, I am trying to collect information about former Scottish league players, I would like to ask you about two former Airdrie players: Sammy Conn and Jamie Fairley, the first one seems to have passed away in 2013 and who played mainly as a left midfielder or as a central midfielder, is that correct? ... and the second seems to be that he was an offensive player, I think mainly an offensive midfielder, who also played as a right midfielder, is that correct? ... Could you confirm something more about your positions?? ...Thanks.

You are correct with the names. Sammy Conn could play all over the park but was mainly a midfielder. He had also played for our local rivals, Albion Rovers and many other Scottish clubs.  There is an area of the Stadium set aside for disabled supporters ( hope that is the right phrase) in his name. He could be a tough fiery character who gave his all for the team. Sadly passed away too early. We signed Jamie Fairlie from Hamilton Accies as a striker , but he could also play as a winger/right midfielder. He had always been a thorn in our side when with Hamilton and was a good acquisition.  Some of us think he never quite struck terror into other  teams for us as he did to us but he was an exciting player.

23 hours ago, JmSG said:

Good morning, I will put this here because I cannot find any Airdrieonians forum, I am trying to collect information about former Scottish league players, I would like to ask you about two former Airdrie players: Sammy Conn and Jamie Fairley, the first one seems to have passed away in 2013 and who played mainly as a left midfielder or as a central midfielder, is that correct? ... and the second seems to be that he was an offensive player, I think mainly an offensive midfielder, who also played as a right midfielder, is that correct? ... Could you confirm something more about your positions?? ...Thanks.

Here's Sammy Conn scoring for us in our 1992 Scottish Cup Qtr Final victory against Hibs.

Hibernian 0-2 Airdrie | Scottish Cup Quarter Final - 10th March 1992

Sammy Conn Goal v's Hibernian in Scottish Cup Quarter Final 1992

Edited by Tory Boy

42 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

Here's Sammy Conn scoring for us in our 1992 Scottish Cup Qtr Final victory against Hibs.

I saw this video on YouTube about S.Conn, with these images I would say, that he was a left-handed player, physically quite strong and that he was playing advanced, from information in other media I think that his position should be left midfielder or attacking midfielder, But I don't know if I would be correct.

1 hour ago, JmSG said:

I saw this video on YouTube about S.Conn, with these images I would say, that he was a left-handed player, physically quite strong and that he was playing advanced, from information in other media I think that his position should be left midfielder or attacking midfielder, But I don't know if I would be correct.

I was a youngster during his years at the club so maybe someone a bit older might correct me on this but I don't really remember him having a specific position for us. He seemed to get shuffled about to different positions depending on who we were playing. Can remember him in midfield but played up front in some big games and even filled in defence on the odd ocassion.

Definitely would describe him as hard. Would probably add a bit of a nutter at times as well. Haha Had a fair few suspensions.

I was a youngster during his years at the club so maybe someone a bit older might correct me on this but I don't really remember him having a specific position for us. He seemed to get shuffled about to different positions depending on who we were playing. Can remember him in midfield but played up front in some big games and even filled in defence on the odd ocassion.
Definitely would describe him as hard. Would probably add a bit of a nutter at times as well. Haha Had a fair few suspensions.

I think Sammy was mainly used as a midfielder for us but sometimes played in the attacking role depending on the set up Doddie wanted. Great player, loved watching him during those years. Prior to joining us he had a long spell at The Rovers and maybe one of their fans could confirm but think he played mainly attacking midfield for them. He could always chip in with a goal but damage mostly done by Coyle, Smith etc. Wasn’t scared to hit one from range and was always up for a header at goal from set pieces. We were successful because of the versatility of players like Conn. Great player, sorry he’s gone, a true servant to the club

6 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

Enjoyed watching that goal. Great memories from that era. Thanks 

On 04/07/2020 at 10:53, JmSG said:

Regarding Sammy Conn,  the related responses and video clips sum up the man and the player,  100 % player in any position played with drive and heart rarely seen in the modern day football player..

Jamie Fairlie has not got near as many and to be fair it probably sums up the player,  He was the captain in Ally MacLeod s Airdrie team in 84/85,  I was only young at the time , he played as a central midfielder, not a player that caught the eye, hard working, safe type of player, probably if he played in this era he would be classed as a sitting midfield player , at that time he had a lot more attacking players round a bout him in Gerry Christie,  Kenny Patterson and the free scoring Dave MacCabe and John Flood up front...

3 hours ago, khalidonianb said:

Enjoyed watching that goal. Great memories from that era. Thanks 

I did too. I was behind the goal where big John saved the penalty. When I watched TV later that night a high camera shot revealed my thinning hair was a shiny circle! Out went the long hair from then on to avoid a Bobby Charlton look. As others have said Sammy was a character on the park. I think he got sent off at Dumfermline once  under Gordon McQueen( and callum campbell?) but Kenny McDonald scored a great free kick. Marvellous days

21 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I did too. I was behind the goal where big John saved the penalty. When I watched TV later that night a high camera shot revealed my thinning hair was a shiny circle! Out went the long hair from then on to avoid a Bobby Charlton look. As others have said Sammy was a character on the park. I think he got sent off at Dumfermline once  under Gordon McQueen( and callum campbell?) but Kenny McDonald scored a great free kick. Marvellous days

I'm remember that game, top of the table promotion game, we were a goal and two men down, it was unbelievable when we scored.

10 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

My mate who no longer posts on here sent this:

"I am off P+B and never using it again The guy asking about Sammy Conn... he was signed as a left sided box to box midfielder but he filled in at left back regularly. In his last year with us he performed well as a makeshift centrehalf or striker!"

3 hours ago, khalidonianb said:

I'm remember that game, top of the table promotion game, we were a goal and two men down, it was unbelievable when we scored.

Looks like April 1989 and 1-1 finish and we missed out that year and Dumfermline went up. Changed days as Killie got relegated We got up 2 years later as the SPL let 2 go up Changed days indeed. I think the highlights were on TV next day?

Confirmed that Joshua Burke, Scott Walker and Joseph Moore have signed up for next season. I think that’s now 16 players confirmed:

GK - Currie, Hutton

DF - MacDonald, Crighton, Fordyce, McCann, Kerr, Burke, Walker

MF - Thomson, McKay, Moore

FW - Gallagher, Carrick, Roy, Pyott

The squad looks pretty much sorted in goals and defence but definitely need a few midfielders in. We could probably still do with another forward to replace Ryan/Smith given that Roy and Pyott are still unproven at this level.

I think there's a bit of need to improve in all 3 outfield areas of the squad tbh. A couple of injuries even in the best stacked area (defense) and even that would look a bit worrying.

I've no confidence in Roy up front, and don't think I've ever seen Pyott play.

Midfield is clearly getting an overhaul, so will have to wait and see on that one.

Still, theres a few months before a ball is going to get kicked.

Edited by G_H

Midfield is definitely the priority. Need a defensive mid (replacement and upgrade on Millar), box-to-box type (replacement and upgrade on Roberts), a good quality #10/creative player (a replacement and upgrade on Hawkshaw) a wide midfielder/forward (replacement for Callum Smith). Hopefully it will be within our capability to do so given that we've also freed up Wedderburn's wage. 

We've got two good goalies. Gallagher and Carrick are two good forwards for this level but as other posters have said, I'd like to see another striker come in (along with the wide player) to add a bit of competition/as another option. There's still question marks over Roy and Pyott is an unknown quantity. An injury or loss of form to Gallagher or Carrick could be all the difference between promotion or another season in this league. 

Our defence is solid and consistent for this level. Adding to it won't be a priority but again, if the budget allows, would be nice to have another option there to cover for any injuries or suspensions (Eckersley's spot could probably be filled relatively cheaply). 

Nice to see some of the younger players sticking around. In particular I have heard good things about Burke and Moore (and James Hughes who wasn't mentioned in the article but who is still listed in the squad on the website). I can't see them playing much, and the article does emphasise them challenging for places in the 'near future' but they'll provide a bit of squad depth for relative buttons and hopefully potential first team players of the future so fair enough. 

Edited by airdrieman

If your next clue is thomas the tank engine, we might have a bit of competition for that one.

I'd assume that Fabien or Bertrand are more realistic options.

Edited by G_H